1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Default Solubility of Amino Acids

Dtlv74
    Something I've wondered about for a while is exactly how soluble the amino's I guzzle everyday are, and whether I've been ingesting them in suspension rather than in solution - and if this affects their bioavailability.

Having done a bit of searching around, I've managed to compile the following list of amino acids commonly taken as/used in supplements, along with some info on their solubilty, in g/100ml of water at 25 degrees C.

Fortunately, it seems even those which are least soluble still don't require too much water for all but a very high dose. Leucine seems to be the only one which some people might not be dissolving properly, requiring 100ml of water for every 2.4g taken.

Amino Acid Solubility

* Alanine 16.65g/100ml
    * Arginine 15g/100ml
    * Cysteine - very soluble
    * Glutamic Acid 0.864g/100ml
    * Glutamine 2.5g/100ml
    * Glycine 24.99g/100ml
    * Histidine 4.19g/100ml
    * Isoleucine 4.117g/100ml
    * Leucine 2.426g/100ml
    * Lysine - very soluble
    * Methionine 3.381g/100ml
    * Phenylalanine 2.965g/100ml
    * Proline 162.3g/100ml
    * Serine 5.023g/100ml
    * Taurine 10.48g/100ml
    * Threonine - very soluble
    * Tryptophan 1.136g/100ml
    * Tyrosine 0.0453g/100ml
    * Valine 8.85g/100ml

* Creatine Monohydrate 1g/100ml

Have also had a look at MP's essential aminos and BCAA's, and worked out an approximate minimum quantity of water (fraction rounded) for those based upon the least soluble amino in each - Leucine in both cases (hope I've got my maths right!).

* MP's EAA powder 7.5g/100ml (approximate worked out by least soluble amino)
    * MP's BCAA powder 4.9g/100ml (approximate worked out by least soluble amino)

Note; while those figures are low, using only those quantities of fluids would create saturated solutions which would probably require a lot of shaking/stirring, and they would probably taste pretty damn vile. Much more fluid would be recommended!

One question I haven't been able to find a conclusive answer on is whether or not it is actually necessary to dissolve them at all. Does anyone know? I've been working under the assumption that it is necessary, both to avoid digestive discomfort and to ensure maximum utilization... is this correct?
    kp1512
    I am afriad that is a Rep mate!

Very good post and I like the summary at the bottom!.....

I am trusting your maths is correct...if so Rep awarded

EDIT : DT..have you got a source for the Sol figures?. Just being a little dilligent and checking the old maths as what you have done is extremely valuable in terms of when we take BCAA and EAA in the correct fluid ratios...as it is with taking Carb drinks.......

KP
    Last edited by kp1512; 18-11-2007 at 09:36 PM.
    cleaver
    Managed to dig up research from 1933!

The figures are fairly close on the ones That Dtlv has listed below. See pages 6 and 7 if you want to go straight to the money shot

http://www.jbc.org/cgi/reprint/103/2/579.pdf

The search will continue.
    Dtlv74
    Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by cleaver View Post
    Managed to dig up research from 1933!

The figures are fairly close on the ones That Dtlv has listed below. See pages 6 and 7 if you want to go straight to the money shot

http://www.jbc.org/cgi/reprint/103/2/579.pdf

The search will continue.
    Nice find cleaver ...if I'd have found that one it would have made my task a little easier! The solubility of amino's did vary a little between differing sources I looked at. The figures I put up were those which I manged to find more than once on seperate sources.
    Teetotal

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Dtlv74 View Post
    One question I haven't been able to find a conclusive answer on is whether or not it is actually necessary to dissolve them at all. Does anyone know? I've been working under the assumption that it is necessary, both to avoid digestive discomfort and to ensure maximum utilization... is this correct?
    Good post mate, I'd rep you but need to spread the lurve..

Now you've asked the question I'd say yes for avoiding discomfort. I do sometimes throw BCAA's into my mouth and then wash them down purely to save time but when I think about it this makes me feel like I need to goto the toilet... quickly! Sometimes gives me a stomach ache for a minute or two aswell.

When I have my 20g/30g BCAA's dissolved in 700ml of water while I train I'm fine.

Don't forget Vitamin B6 to improve absorption even further
    MP5500 for 5% off first order!
    Training Journal - My Pic's

Thread Information