1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Dangers of Conjugated Linoleic Acid

1. Default Dangers of Conjugated Linoleic Acid

MP Member

Putting aside all debate as to whether this supplement is effective for weight loss etc, is there any evidence for the negative side effects associated with this supplement?

Is there any proven scientific research that shows that CLA causes insulin and blood glucose levels to rise and therefore leading to or aggravating insulin resistance, with the possibility of an individual developing diabetes?

I, as well as many others I am sure, want to know the side effects of CLA on currently healthy individuals who do not possess any form or insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome, and are at a healthy weight.

Can anyone shed some light on the matter regarding this supplements safety, with the assumption that an individual fills the above category?

Regards
    Banned

I don't know of any CLA dangers personally - I can imagine there aren't many considering it is naturally occuring in beef etc.
    MP Veteran

Start here.
    conjugated linoleic acid - PubMed - NCBI

There are approx 2,500 entries on this one supplement alone.
    The Moderate Moderator

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

Wotan is a Super Moderator.
    MP Member

Quote Quote
    There are approx 2,500 entries on this one supplement alone.
    Thanks Wotan. I'll come back in 6 or 7 weeks time and tell you my conclusion...: P
    MP Veteran

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by F Trooper View Post
    Thanks Wotan. I'll come back in 6 or 7 weeks time and tell you my conclusion...: P
    And that's exactly what everyone says too, ha ha ha!!

Why not just eat meat (which contains CLA) and forget the supplement?
    Elvis likes this.
    The Moderate Moderator

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

Wotan is a Super Moderator.
    MP Senior

Conclusion? More like confusion!
    MP Veteran

Blog Entries
    @Wotan: That was pretty much my reaction! Just a few moments of Googling turned up some information on 'CLA dangers' - most of which seem pretty mild: gastrointestinal upset, nausea, diarrhoea, etc. These symptoms could present themselves with the ingestion of a number of foods, drugs or supplements - not just CLA.

Another factor is that supplements tend to be of one particular isomer or another of the nutrient in question. CLA in whole foods, like the ones Wotan mentions, are likely to comprise the full spectrum of available isomers. One study, showing increased insulin resistance (in obese subjects) with CLA usage, used a supplemental form of one specific isomer of CLA.

Also CLA is an unsaturated fatty acid, which is prone to oxidation. Oxidised unsaturated fatty acids can be deleterious to health.

In a supplement, rapid oxidation is always a possibility due to increased chances of it being exposed to air, light and heat at any stage during production, storage, shipping and use. This is less likely if the CLA is obtained from fresh, whole foods.
    Last edited by NU_nutrition_TS; 11-09-2011 at 12:08 PM.
    Wotan likes this.

NU_nutrition_TS is a Super Moderator.
    MP Member

Quote Quote
    Conclusion? More like confusion!
    I genuinely love some of the people on this forum! : P
    Last edited by F Trooper; 11-09-2011 at 01:23 PM.
    MP Member

Thanks for the replies.

I understand that sourcing CLA naturally form foods is likely to be a better option than it in taking a supplement. If CLA did cause insulin insensitivity or resistance, could this be reduced or stopped by taking a supplement such as chromium to increase insulin sensitivity? Chromium helps to regulate blood sugar levels and increase insulin sensitivity, so could this reverse or prevent any problems caused by taking CLA?
    MP Veteran

Blog Entries
    ^That presupposes that insulin resistance is ALWAYS a bad thing and that insulin sensitivity is ALWAYS a good thing! It depends on the bigger picture of prevailing lifestyle, diet and overall metabolic/hormonal function.

Don't confuse changes in glucose metabolism with insulin sensitivity/resistance either - some of the studies involving the nutrients you mention may show increased glucose clearance, which may not be directly related to changes in insulin production or the tissue's sensitivity (or otherwise) to it.

As I said, the only study that showed an increase in insulin resistance with CLA supplementation was carried out in already obese subjects (no doubt already afflicted with some degree of insulin resistance) and the CLA used was a single, specific isomer which may not be the same one used in every available supplemental form of CLA.

NU_nutrition_TS is a Super Moderator.

Thread Information