1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Default stronglifts 5x5, diet critique and thoughts + PICS

MP Junior

evening ppl

RIGHT....i decided to do the stronglifts 5x5 program which i will be starting at the begining of april. here goes....

stats
    19 years old
    5 foot 7 (170cm)
    65kg (143lbs/10st 4lbs)

my goal(s)
    SIMPLES....to bulk until i'm around 70kg. i've never been above 66kg, so it'll be a big boost for me just to get to 70kg. anything above that would be a BONUS. I don't really mind putting on some fat TBH as i'm fairly lean. get stronger than what i am now.

diet
    i just need your opinions/ thoughts about my diet. here is what i plan to eat:
    on training days (Monday, wednesday, friday)

07:45am - 3 boiled eggs
    a shake with "100g MP instant oats + 250ml whole milk
    1 scoop of Impact whey protein (25g) + flaxseeds"
    1 multivitamin tab
    1 banana

10:30am - sandwich with 2 wholemeal slices of bread
    100g beef sausages (best sausages EVER!!!!)
    Coleslaw on each piece of bread
    1 boiled egg
    handful of nuts (which ones are the best cashew?? or almond??

13:00pm - 100g wholemeal pasta with a can of tuna, a can of sweetcorn
    spinach (not sure how much though)
    1 boiled egg
    orange or apple juice

15:30pm - another sandwich with 2 wholemeal slices of bread
    100g of chicken sausages
    coleslaw on each piece of bread

18:00pm - pre workout shake with 100g MP Instant oats
    300ml whole milk
    1 scoop of Impact whey protein (25g)
    a slice of bread, maybe 2 (depending on how i feel)

19:00pm - Stronglifts 5x5 workout (A or B)

20:05pm - post workout shake with dextrose (75grams)
    2 scoops of impact whey protein
    350ml of whole milk
    maybe some flaxseeds in there as well???
    i plan to take my the supplements for my PostWorkout shake with me so i can make the shake straight after the workout.

21:00 - cottage cheese 200g
    2 small sweet potatoes 300g
    tablespoon of peanut butter

sleep around 22:30------------wake up about 07:00am

on non-workout days (tuesday, thursday, saturday, sunday), i don't plan to have the usual pre and post workout shakes but instead i opted to have

50g brown rice with sweddish meatballs yum yum
    spinach (again, not too sure how much i should be having)
    some coleslaw and orange juice
    i will cook 2 portions (1 to eat @ 18:00 and the 2nd portion @ 20:00

THATS IT

ANY opinions and thoughts would be much appreciated (good or bad). i personally think it' a pretty solid diet but there's a bit too much bread, but then again i LOVE bread

pics
    (i know ppl on here love to see pictures). they are poor quality TBH, but at least you'll get an idea of what i look like.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Lutonboi1000; 20-03-2010 at 09:59 PM.
    MP Junior

SORRY for the massive pictures PPL. i didn't realise they were gonna be this BIG
    1 thing i noticed is that my left calf if bigger than my right which really annoys me. i think i may have to add some standing and seated calf raises at the end of my stronglifts 5x5 programme. i've always wanted nice (WIDE) calves

WHAT do you guys think???
    Last edited by Lutonboi1000; 20-03-2010 at 09:40 PM.
    MP Junior

my diet is based on the one on the myprotein website but with slight changes. in terms of calories, i'm not too sure how many i'll be consuming but i'm guessing about 3,500 kcals probably more. i haven't really calclated the carbs, protein anf fats amounts. well i was going to but that foodfocus website takes an age to learn. i joined thinking it was going to be easy as ABC but nope, it was far from it. probably because it was 5am in the morning and i was feeling sleepy. i will try again tonight.
    Last edited by Lutonboi1000; 20-03-2010 at 09:54 PM.
    MP Veteran

diet looks good mate, there are certainly enough calories for bulking so strength and size are sure to increase
    looks like you are getting enough protein, but you may benefit from increasing fats a bit more in place of some of the carbs. Of course it's difficult to tell at the moment without knowing the exact macro breakdown, but that's just what I suspect anyway. I'd say 80g of fat is a minimum.
    Regarding the nuts, any and all are good. Go for cashews and almonds. :P
    I'd leave the flax seeds out of your PWO shake as it will just slow digestion down, and since you have flax seeds in the morning a second dose is not really required at all tbh as the omega 3 conversion rate is quite poor.
    Spinach, I guess a couple of hundred grams a day would be sufficient?? Not sure if there are any ill-effects from consuming too much.
    Oh, and you need better lighting for your pics lol, but it looks like you have a very lean base to build upon.
    PBs: Squat - 172.5kg, Paused bench - 110kg, Deadlift - 220kg, Comp total - 495kg, Snatch - 82kg, C&J - 100kg
    My training log My youtube channel
    MP Junior

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by anabolic View Post
    diet looks good mate, there are certainly enough calories for bulking so strength and size are sure to increase
    looks like you are getting enough protein, but you may benefit from increasing fats a bit more in place of some of the carbs. Of course it's difficult to tell at the moment without knowing the exact macro breakdown, but that's just what I suspect anyway. I'd say 80g of fat is a minimum.
    Regarding the nuts, any and all are good. Go for cashews and almonds. :P
    I'd leave the flax seeds out of your PWO shake as it will just slow digestion down, and since you have flax seeds in the morning a second dose is not really required at all tbh as the omega 3 conversion rate is quite poor.
    Spinach, I guess a couple of hundred grams a day would be sufficient?? Not sure if there are any ill-effects from consuming too much.
    Oh, and you need better lighting for your pics lol, but it looks like you have a very lean base to build upon.
    thanks for the feedback anabolic. what kind of foods should i consume to increase my fat count??
    BTW.....I'LL be using unflavoured instant oats and unflavoured impact whey protein in my shakes. i'll also be adding things like cocoa powder, nesquick and honey to mix up the flavours a little bit rather than sticking to one flavour.
    MP Veteran

Good sources of fat:

-Mackerel, salmon, or any oily fish
    -nuts of all varieties
    -egg yolks
    -houmous
    -extra virgin olive oil
    -any fatty cuts of meat (10/20% mince etc.)
    -cheese
    -greek yoghurt
    -cocoa powder
    -whole milk
    -coconut oil
    -butter
    -green & black's 85% chocolate (occasionally :P)

i'm probably missing some obvious ones but those are my main fat sources (minus whole milk as i'm slightly lactose intolerant)
    PBs: Squat - 172.5kg, Paused bench - 110kg, Deadlift - 220kg, Comp total - 495kg, Snatch - 82kg, C&J - 100kg
    My training log My youtube channel
    MP Junior

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by anabolic View Post
    Good sources of fat:

-Mackerel, salmon, or any oily fish
    -nuts of all varieties
    -egg yolks
    -houmous
    -extra virgin olive oil
    -any fatty cuts of meat (10/20% mince etc.)
    -cheese
    -greek yoghurt
    -cocoa powder
    -whole milk
    -coconut oil
    -butter
    -green & black's 85% chocolate (occasionally :P)

i'm probably missing some obvious ones but those are my main fat sources (minus whole milk as i'm slightly lactose intolerant)
    how about:

2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil with my morning shake (everyday)
    A tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil with my pre-workout shake (only on training days).
    2 tablespoons of peanut butter @ 21:00 instead of 1 (on non training days ONLY)

surely that will be enough??? what do you think??

question(s)
    1) will the olive oil ruin my shakes? i wanna enjoy my shakes and not have to down them quickly because of bad taste. i reckon the oil might make me throw up (gut feeling). perharps i just need to MAN UP!!
    Glasgow's Most Trendy

hwaaa i yeah olive oil is rank. I think some people shoot them
    Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.
    For 5% off use this code! MP38237
    MP Member

i add in olive oil when blending my shakes. All I can taste is the Bananas and oats.

Wouldnt have it on its own though!
    MP Junior

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by comanight2 View Post
    hwaaa i yeah olive oil is rank. I think some people shoot them
    NOOOOOOO coma. i don't think olive oil is rank as i use it to cook lots of foods. i meant ..if i drink olive oil on it's own, i would just throw up (just a gut feeling). would the oil have the same effect on me if i was to put it in my shakes is the MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION??

it shouldn't be a problem me thinks as i will be using things like cocoa powder, honey and nesquick for flavouring. if worst comes to worst, i will just have to man up.
    Last edited by Lutonboi1000; 22-03-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Thread Information