1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By randumian
  • 1 Post By Odevans
  • 1 Post By Pkant2002

Thread: First day back at the gym, who do I do?

1. Default First day back at the gym, who do I do?

MP Junior

After getting married last year my weight has ballooned to 103kg so I have made it a personal objective of mine to loose four stone by Christmas eve this year. I hope this is achievable.

I am going back to the gym tonight for the first time so was looking for some advice in what to do? I haven't done any form of exercise for months now so don't want to kill myself at the first session but am a bit stuck as to what to start with.

Any advice greatly appreciated thanks.
    Duffield88 likes this.
    Banned

Loosing a stone in that time is very easy, matey. What sort of thing is it that you wish to do in the gym; lift weights, or cardio?

Weights - everyone loves starting off with chest and triceps!
    CV - I love the rowing machine. Ty going at a light pace for about two minutes, then go a little faster for one minute, then repeat the two steps, 4 times. That should help break you in slowly.

If you wish to do both, do the weights first
    Banned

Also, if you are married, then I suggest that you "do" no-one, other than your partner!
    dope540 likes this.
    MP Veteran

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Odevans View Post
    Also, if you are married, then I suggest that you "do" no-one, other than your partner!
    Cheap Joke lol.

Losing 4 stone in a year is a really good target. First of all congratulations on taking the first step it is often quite daunting. Sadly the gym isn’t going to be the only thing in helping you lose weight, Diet is also going to be key. Now when you hear diet you think green salad and starving yourself. WRONG

First major step is to cut out all the crap in your diet. When i first started i was a diabetic and i considered my diet to be fairly decent, how wrong i was, take a real hard look at your diet and the little treats here and there start to build up.

Start trying to eat good whole foods, Protein such as chicken, beef, tuna, salmon ect have this alongside some good carbohydrates such as sweet potatoes as well as plenty of vegetables, but don’t forget to treat yourself once a week or so.

Things like Tesco pancakes with 2 teaspoons of honey are lovely got some carbs in plus they meet my sweet tooth anyway so hopefully yours too. If you did this alone i think you will lose a fair amount of weight to start with anyway.

However at some point you are going to have to track how many kcals you are eating. What i suggest you do to start with is head over to Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com and set yourself up with an account.

Then for a few days start tracking what you eat normally and see how many kcals that comes to. I don’t really know how much this will be but say its 3000kcal from here try reducing your kcals by about 500 and over a period of time with good exercise 4 stone will fly away and more.

I am sure some other members will be able to help you in far more detail as they are far more knowledgeable but hopefully that is a little bit of a starter and is easy enough to understand.
    dope540 likes this.
    My Training Log - Click Here
    For 5% Off Your First Order use MP222755
    Can you think of anything that tastes worse than strawberry flavoured protein???
    Didn't think so.....

Thread Information