1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Why do my thighs hurt

1. Default Why do my thighs hurt

MP Junior

I know you can get some soreness from training but this is not normal. If I do squats my thighs hurt really bad for a few days but if I also do leg press exercise in the same session I do not have this problem, any ideas why this is?

I will admit I have only been training a year and so consider myself a noob, I learnt squats from the internet and when I do them I watch myself in the mirror to make sure I am do it correctly.
    Rodeo Star

where abouts is the pain? inner thigh? outer thigh?
    The Workers' Hunger Helps Them, Because Their Desire To Eat Makes Them Work.
    Patience Is Better Than Strength. Controlling Your Temper Is Better Than Capturing A City.
    Fools Quickly Show That They Are Upset, But The Wise Ignore Insults.
    MP Ninja

If you can watch yourself in the mirror when you're squatting, your head's probably not high enough which means your back might be not tight enough. That's got nothing to do with your quad hurting but I just thought I'd mention it.
    Jim Wendler quotes - "When I see a program that says three sets of eight reps? That's the stupidest f**king thing ever. If it doesn't have a specific percentage based on a specific max, it's useless. That's the hallmark of someone who doesn't understand basic programming." "Diet is simple eat 1.5 to 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Base your carbs on how fat or paranoid you are."
    MP Senior

I think it sounds like DOMS personally. Keep at it, but try progressing a little slower.

I don't know if others agree, but I'm thinking condition those thighs to doing squats is the answer.

So maintain weight, rest period and reps for squats for the next 4-6 weeks, eat more, rest more and see if the pain goes down. If it does get worse... stop and seek help from a fitness or medical professional. We are members of the public here and are not qualified to give out advice regarding injuries or medical advice. We give out opinions and in some circumstances, professionals are best suited!

Take it easy, but keep exercising it and good luck with it!
    MP Veteran

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Seeley182 View Post
    if I also do leg press exercise in the same session I do not have this problem, any ideas why this is?
    because squats done right is a much more demanding exercise
    dumbbell dan likes this.
    --
    My Training - Training Log
    MP239490 for a 5% discount on your first order.
    MP Veteran

Try a deload week every once in a while, I find if I train for about 6-8 weeks if i rest by lifting a slightly lighter weight one week i come back much stronger. Guess it gives me CNS time to recover but I may be wrong total bro stuff right there.
    My Training Log - Click Here
    For 5% Off Your First Order use MP222755
    Can you think of anything that tastes worse than strawberry flavoured protein???
    Didn't think so.....
    MP Junior

Ben 21 the pain is at the front of thighs if that makes sense.

Dumbell dan I have done lots of exercise in my past excluding weights so have had DOMS before but nothing comes close as this is super painful. I get this pain no matter how long I do squats for (unless I also do leg press) and when I did it the other day I didn't push it and was only muscle to really hurt.

Elvis I do appreciate that squats are demanding I just don't understand why if I do another excercise for the same muscle then I get no pain when I thought I would have more pain.

I found a routine of upper and lower sessions and never had problems with my thighs as I did squats and leg press in the same session, I am looking at new routine and want to try one where I don't do leg press but if I have this problem I will either have to add it or choose one that has both squats and leg press.
    MP Senior

Please promise you'll stick with squats as they are arguable the best exercise in the world for a lot of goals.

I really think a deload and condition is the best approach. Who knows, you may have even strained the muscle from exercising unrecovered...etc. Without us actually knowing EVERYTHING you have done before it started and without being able to visually inspect it, then there is very little we can do except guess what's going on.

Please try a professional (doctor, sports/massage therapist, physiotherapist) and ask them. I recommend doing this if you have deloaded to about 60-70% of your current weight and worked your way back up to the current weight over a period of about 2 months. I believe from my own opinion that you may have strained it, so having 2 months of an active rest (deload and recondition) might be suitable. If this fails, talk to a medical/fitness professional.

On a side note, I currently do heavy squats and my thighs kill for the next 48 hours after each session. I lifted last night and my thighs are currently pulsing and are pretty sore. This feeling I have in my thighs is pretty intense. However, I EXPECT this as it shows I am doing squats correctly. I love this feeling as it is also a reminder for me to sleep more and eat more.

Ever considered doing light cardio to improve blood flow to the thighs or having a cold shower/dip to reduce soreness?
    Last edited by dumbbell dan; 17-12-2012 at 01:41 PM.
    MP Veteran

Have you been walking down the stairs and your legs double lock out and you fall down / nearly fall down the stairs as you can barely support your own weight due to the pain?
    MP Veteran

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Seeley182 View Post
    Elvis I do appreciate that squats are demanding I just don't understand why if I do another excercise for the same muscle then I get no pain when I thought I would have more pain.
    If you're squatting to a good depth there'll be a bigger range of motion on squats than is typical of leg press, it's also going to be hitting muscles that the leg press is not, you're not supporting yourself to a far greater degree in a squat than leg press - try falling off a leg press machine.
    --
    My Training - Training Log
    MP239490 for a 5% discount on your first order.

Thread Information