1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 6ft 1" and 70kg - Want to bulk up

1. Default 6ft 1" and 70kg - Want to bulk up

MP Junior

Hi all

I'm 23, 6ft 1" and weight 70kg. I've just started at the local gym with the intention to increase my size and strength. I feel like my biceps, triceps, chest and shoulders are the main areas that are lacking and this is where I want to concentrate on first, my goal is to increase the size/strength of these areas as much as possible over the coming months.

My diet contains a good mix of foods and I rarely go hungry throughout the day. I've always kept an eye on my weight and I've noticed that it hasn't altered in the last 2-3 years. I would say I have a fast metabolism, and because of this I thought I would benefit from a weight gainer supplement as well as a protein supplement?

I could also do with some advice regarding exercises, and which are best for biceps, triceps, shoulders and chest?

Any advice and help would be appreciated

Thanks
    MP Veteran

Hi iMac,

No need for a weight gainer supplement. Just aim to get your calories from whole, healthy foods. Work out how much calories you require to maintain your weight, and then add on an additional amount on top of this. 300kcals is usually a good starting place. If you end up putting on weight too quickly, then reducel calories... vice versa with if you're not putting enough on. 2lbs a month is optimal.

I recommend you start a programme like Strong Lifts or Starting Strength. These two programmes are excellent in developing strength and are highly recommended throughout these forums. These programmes incorporate all compound exercises and will also work your legs as well - you cannot ignore your legs!!

Can you also post up your diet please.
    My Journal
    6ft, 84kg | Squat: 145kg | Front Squat: 110kg | Deadlift: 210kg | OHP: 75kg | Bench: 107.5kg (reps) | BOR: 92.5kg (reps)
    MP Ninja

Sorry to break it to you but you don't have a fast metabolism, you simply just don't eat enough to gain weight.
    James, dope540, chill9 and 1 others like this.
    Jim Wendler quotes - "When I see a program that says three sets of eight reps? That's the stupidest f**king thing ever. If it doesn't have a specific percentage based on a specific max, it's useless. That's the hallmark of someone who doesn't understand basic programming." "Diet is simple – eat 1.5 to 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Base your carbs on how fat or paranoid you are."
    Rodeo Star

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by iMac Hunt View Post
    I could also do with some advice regarding exercises, and which are best for biceps, triceps, shoulders and chest?

Chest
    Weighted dips
    Incline Dumbells
    Bench press/ weighted press ups.

Shoulders
    Seated barbell press
    Rear delt cable flys.

Triceps
    Weighted dips (Strait body, make sure your driving through the Tricep, and your not using your chest)
    Diamond press (Close grip press up)

Biceps
    Weighted chins (Close grip, back strait, use your biceps only to pull you up)
    Incline dumbell curls.

That should do you.

As far as diet goes, Fat's proteins, and plenty of them. Sleep well, and train intelligently.
    The Workers' Hunger Helps Them, Because Their Desire To Eat Makes Them Work.
    Patience Is Better Than Strength. Controlling Your Temper Is Better Than Capturing A City.
    Fools Quickly Show That They Are Upset, But The Wise Ignore Insults.
    MP Senior

For crying out loud EAT! You should be on 3500 calories a day at least, probably 4000+ to be honest. I weigh a little more than you at 5ft 8 and I eat around 3200 calories a day which is enough for a slow but lean bulk.

I know you want big arms and a big chest, who doesn't, but don't kid yourself about 'lagging bodyparts'. At 6ft 1 and 70kg, your entire body is lagging. I would also caution that at the very least you need to train your back in equal proportion to your chest (1:1 pull: push ratio or more in favour of pull). I think there was a thread somewhere about how people look when they don't train legs but I'm not going to hunt it down, just strongly recommend you train some of the largest muscles in your body.
    My 5/3/1 journal
    http://community.myprotein.com/train...-strength.html
    Goals for 2013: Press 75kg, Deadlift 200kg, Bench 100kg, Squat 180kg
    Rodeo Star

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by theotherjb View Post
    '. At 6ft 1 and 70kg, your entire body is lagging.
    Hmm, not so sure that's entirely true. Height and weight doesn't mean everything. That's not a million miles away from James' height and weight, or my height and weight, and I wouldn't say either one of us is entirely lagging. In fact being small jointed, my arms, legs, chest etc, look reasonably big on me.
    Patience Is Better Than Strength. Controlling Your Temper Is Better Than Capturing A City.
    MP Veteran

James is 79kg is he not?
    My Journal
    6ft, 84kg | Squat: 145kg | Front Squat: 110kg | Deadlift: 210kg | OHP: 75kg | Bench: 107.5kg (reps) | BOR: 92.5kg (reps)
    Rodeo Star

I remember him being in the low 70's at one time. Don't think it was long ago either, maybe James, or a groupie of his can confirm......
    MP Veteran

I was 74kg at 6ft back in September. Looking back I wouldn't say I was skinny but I definitely wasn't big...
    My Journal
    Rodeo Star

It's funny. I'm 6" and about 76 at the moment. And early last year I bulked to about 92, 93, and I look bigger now, than I did then. Maybe it's the leanness showing more size, not sure, it's strange. But I look bigger than I weigh for sure.

Thread Information