1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. Default Bodybuilding as opposed to Strength (Powerlifting)

    #1
    MP Senior

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sheffield
    Age
    28
    Posts
    634
    The MP forums are a wealth of information, but we as a community tend to be more inclined to offer Powerlifting advice.

    After reading Shaun Tavierner's (spelling?) training log, I'm interested to know how a Bodybuilders routine would differ from a Powerlifters?

    Shaun's journal showed his "Maintaining muscle phase" i believe. How would this differ from a regular training phase do people think?

    On a note, i went down and did an isolation day using Shaun's Chest phase from his training plan last week and really enjoyed exhausting my chest prior to lifting heavier weights.
    Save money, use the code MP97521.

    Say NO to white supremacy, eat the WHOLE egg!
  2.  
    #2
    Glasgow's Most Trendy

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    5,666
    test my knowledge a wee bit here - someone correct me if im wrong

    Bodybuilding - high rep range, varying percentage of max weight, compound and isolation lifts. Focus on body appearance (size and symmetry). Diet of greater importance compared to powerlifting. Lycra banana hammock. More likely to get chicks.


    Power - low rep range, high percentage of max weight, Focus on big 3 lifts - squat, bench and dead. Focus on sports objective (lift weight, performance). Lycra bodysuit. More likely to beat up bodybuilder and take chicks.

    So a power lifter would go into the gym, lift short sets of heavy weight and take long rest periods. A bodybuilder would go into the gym, lift longer sets of moderate weight and usually shorter rest periods.

    A power lifting might eat 3 big macs, a bag of donuts, a bottle of coke and 15 bacon butties cooked in a buns made of cheese. A bodybuilder would probably focus on eating with a calorie goal in mind, and be avoiding too much sugar and avoiding carbs at night and blah blah blah

    I think thats about right?
    Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.
    For 5% off use this code! MP38237
  3.  
    #3
    MP Senior

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sheffield
    Age
    28
    Posts
    634
    From what i'd know i'd probably agree, except your last parts about Nutrition. As you well know, most of the powerlifters on this forum are about eating right not being big fat strength monsters :P
    Save money, use the code MP97521.

    Say NO to white supremacy, eat the WHOLE egg!
  4.  
    #4
    Seriously Ally.

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NE65
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,977
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by comanight2 View Post
    test my knowledge a wee bit here - someone correct me if im wrong

    Bodybuilding - high rep range, varying percentage of max weight, compound and isolation lifts. Focus on body appearance (size and symmetry). Diet of greater importance compared to powerlifting. Lycra banana hammock. More likely to get chicks.


    Power - low rep range, high percentage of max weight, Focus on big 3 lifts - squat, bench and dead. Focus on sports objective (lift weight, performance). Lycra bodysuit. More likely to beat up bodybuilder and take chicks.

    So a power lifter would go into the gym, lift short sets of heavy weight and take long rest periods. A bodybuilder would go into the gym, lift longer sets of moderate weight and usually shorter rest periods.

    A power lifting might eat 3 big macs, a bag of donuts, a bottle of coke and 15 bacon butties cooked in a buns made of cheese. A bodybuilder would probably focus on eating with a calorie goal in mind, and be avoiding too much sugar and avoiding carbs at night and blah blah blah

    I think thats about right?

    HEY! sometimes us powerlifters watch our calories!

    dude 1 - hey maan! imma get me the big mac and fries.. I only had kfc and subway so far today.. think i should supersize?
    dude 2 - dude! thats an extra 400 calories!
    dude 1 - your right...
    dude 2 - Im gonna supersize it aswell maan.
    dude 1 - f'shaaw..

    and there you go! Powerlifters thinking about calories.
    Resilience should be shown in the face of adversity at all times with a grin on the face and with fists clenched.
  5.  
    #5
    MP Veteran

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,991
    I was being trained by an ex-bodybuilder over the summer months and the routine was this-

    Chest and biceps
    Chest- Pyramid up to a 1 or 2 reps smith machine bench press followed up by lots of lighter sets to pump the muscle up, 6-10 reps including some drop sets.
    Biceps- 2 exercises 10-15 reps, but often going up to 50 reps as well for one pump set.

    Back and triceps
    Back- T-bar and cable rows, finish with lat pull downs. 8-20 reps. Once again, drop sets in there aswell
    Triceps- 10-20 reps for 2 exercises also with a set of 50 quite often for a set aswell.

    Shoulders and legs
    Shoulders- one pressing movement, laterals and upright rows. Heavy pressing generally under 8 reps. Laterals 15-20 reps and upright rows 10-15 reps.
    Legs- Smith squat or leg press. Pyramid up to a heavy set of 2-4 reps if squatting with lighter pump sets afterwards. Leg extensions and ham curls for 10 reps.

    That is one example.
    Use this code MP143 to get 5% off your first order.
    My training diary http://community.myprotein.com/train...ing-diary.html
  6.  
    #6
    Glasgow's Most Trendy

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    5,666
    Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Bobby-bandito View Post
    HEY! sometimes us powerlifters watch our calories!

    dude 1 - hey maan! imma get me the big mac and fries.. I only had kfc and subway so far today.. think i should supersize?
    dude 2 - dude! thats an extra 400 calories!
    dude 1 - your right...
    dude 2 - Im gonna supersize it aswell maan.
    dude 1 - f'shaaw..

    and there you go! Powerlifters thinking about calories.
    hehe, dont forget the shake and a gallon of tomato sauce!
    Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.
    For 5% off use this code! MP38237
  7.  
    #7
    MP Senior

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sheffield
    Age
    28
    Posts
    634
    Cheers for that slw, There does seem to be a focus on exhaustion.
    Save money, use the code MP97521.

    Say NO to white supremacy, eat the WHOLE egg!
  8.  
    #8
    MP Veteran

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,991
    Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by aBhorsen View Post
    Cheers for that slw, There does seem to be a focus on exhaustion.
    Yes that is true. Generally there were atleast 100 reps per bodypart. Though back training often went to nearer 150 reps.
    Use this code MP143 to get 5% off your first order.
    My training diary http://community.myprotein.com/train...ing-diary.html
  9.  
    #9
    MP Senior

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sheffield
    Age
    28
    Posts
    634
    I'd say that surely that kind of training would have a negative effect on the body, but it could be argued (and probably will be) that a bodybuilders body is not in a positive state of health.
    Save money, use the code MP97521.

    Say NO to white supremacy, eat the WHOLE egg!
  10.  
    #10
    MP Veteran

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,991
    Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by aBhorsen View Post
    I'd say that surely that kind of training would have a negative effect on the body, but it could be argued (and probably will be) that a bodybuilders body is not in a positive state of health.
    I would disagree because a lot of the guys that Bob works with have and who use his methods have great results. With that many reps and sets, the majority of the work has to be with weights that are 60-80% of your max. Only the heaviest sets are all out and because they are done after multiple sets of work in the 60-80% range the couple of all out sets are never really over 90% of your max, which prevents burn-out and fatigue. The conditioning effect from doing dozens of sets with 1-2 minutes rest is similar to that of interval training.
    Use this code MP143 to get 5% off your first order.
    My training diary http://community.myprotein.com/train...ing-diary.html

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. the big 3 - Powerlifting/Bodybuilding
    By cr0wd0g in forum Power & Strength
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-01-2009, 02:18 AM
  2. from bodybuilding to powerlifting
    By big and bulk in forum Power & Strength
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-05-2008, 08:38 PM
  3. Replies: 71
    Last Post: 23-12-2007, 11:59 PM
  4. Strength/Powerlifting magazines
    By mjwild in forum Power & Strength
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28-11-2007, 03:34 PM
  5. Bodybuilding & Powerlifting Events
    By PeeJ in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25-08-2005, 04:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2