1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dolphinski

Thread: Working out 5 days per week

1. Default Working out 5 days per week

sh1
    MP Senior

Hi,
    Since I started working out just under 2 years ago, I've been training 6 days a week with the following schedule:
    Day 1: Back and Bicep:
    3 sets of 8-10 - Weighted chin-ups, Lat Pull-downs, weighted-rows, bicep curls, hammer curls, and a bicep curl drop set to finish.
    Day 2: Chest, Tris and Shoulders
    3 sets of: Chest Press(dumbbells, bench or machine), dips, shoulder press, shrugs, lateral raises, tricep pull-downs, and finish with some 'extreme stretching' using dumbbell flyes.
    Day 3: Legs and Abs
    3 sets of: Deadlifts and/or squats (separate them to one day per week), lunges, leg press, leg curls, leg extension
    (cycle is then repeated before a rest day).

As I say, I've been doing this for a while now, and in the 20 months or so that I've been working out, I've gained just over 2 stone, which I've been pretty pleased with.

However, recently, I've been wondering whether or not working out 6 days a week is the most effective way to grow. Is it too much?

I'm 20 years old, so my feeling has been that my body might be able to cope with such a volume while my body's still naturally growing, but I've noticed that very few websites/professionals seem to recommend any more than 4-5 days a week, with a three day split being the most common workout routine.

As I say, I seem to be getting some results, which I'm very happy with, but I worry that I might not be getting the optimal muscle growth. Is it reasonable to expect much more than what I have gained thus far?
    What level of sets per week do you think is best?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret

Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!
    sh1
    MP Senior

Sorry, that's supposed to be 'Working out 6 days per week'.

Also, I should say that I generally find I have need a lot more sleep since I started working out (about 9 hours a night), whilst my strength seems to be growing more quickly than my muscles (I increased my dumbbell bench press by 15kg per dumbbell without noticeable gains in size in my pecs!). Not sure if these are signs of overtraining, but thought it was worth mentioning in case they are!

As I say, any advice would be greatly appreciated

MP Ninja

If it works, don't worry about it. If you want to optimise better, read some of my posts, I've gone over it countless times.

And don't worry about overtraining, you'll know if you are. You'll be completely exhausted all the time and your lifts will probably start going down instead of up. Takes a lot more than 6 hours a week training to do it though!

As for the muscles size, I remember reading something by Defranco or someone that reckoned it took 10lbs of lean tissue gain to add an inch onto your biceps, so don't worry too much about the size of your pecs right now. If you end up with huge arms but a tiny chest then you've probably done something very wrong but that's pretty unlikely tbh
    sh1 likes this.
    sh1
    MP Senior

Thanks, Dolphinski. I'll take a look at your posts

Thread Information