1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Default How much HIIT is too much ?!

MP Senior

International, however contact me for personal training advice in the UK Sheffield area
    How much HIIT is too much per week?!

I was doing 2.5hrs per week but recently dropped to 2 hours as I feel I have lost some strength recently. HIIT does take it out of the human body, so how much is too much? How is 'too much' defined? How much do you do?
    Last edited by Anton_Green; 18-07-2008 at 02:31 AM.
    MP Veteran

I don't do it but I think a session is meant to last 10-15mins, which you should maybe do 3 times per week max. I'm pretty sure any more is counter-productive.
    Use this code MP143 to get 5% off your first order.
    My training diary http://community.myprotein.com/train...ing-diary.html
    MP Senior

International, however contact me for personal training advice in the UK Sheffield area
    Hmmn I have been enjoying the sessions too, normal cardio just seems so easy now. I'll need a new challenge if 15 minutes is the way to do it.

Does anyone have an opinion on doing HIIT twice a week for one hour per session, regards effectiveness and safety?

thank you
    Qualified Gym Instructor

it is not HIIT if you can do it for a whole hour
    Quote Quote
    When you eat the foods your body is made for (Paleo foods) in a framework that your body is made for (feast-fast, such as IF), it all works beautifully.
    MP573 for 5% discount off all products!!

I can't get past 12 minutes at the moment.
    Care to explain how your HIIT works anton???
    PB's as of 01/09/2013: Deads 230kg, Squat 200kg , Bench 115kg,
    End of 2013 Targets: Deads 250kg, Squats 220kg, Bench 130kg.
    Do you want a 5% discount on your order? If so use MP42387.
    My New Current Training Log My Old Training Log My Velocity Diet

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

Was_once_fat_dave is a General Forum Moderator.
    It's Portugese for Eat.

If you're doing HIIT for an hour it's either not intense enough or it's not HIIT.

Try Tabata front squats at 50% 1RM
    Insulin in moderation

Journal
    tru
    MP Old School

as stronglikewood said, 10-15 mins, 3 times a week...
    2 x 1 hour HIIT sessions? You must have amazing endurance and a huge amount of TypeIIa muscle fibres! I'm guessing you're good at 400/800/1500m?

If it's too easy then simply do it with less breaks (lower speeds). Go with a ratio of 2:1 or 3:1 (Sprint to jog)
    Height: 5' 10" Weight: ?st ?lbs
    MP Senior

I like to cycle for long sessions when doing cardio (I perform HIIT on the static bike) and I follow a 3-1 Rest-Work pattern, (or 2-1 depending how much energy I have) where rest is a stead relaxed pace and work is at 90%. Yes the sessions are hard or I wouldnt do them, but acheivable and I enjoy them.

Before starting this kind of training a few weeks ago I used to do up to 90 minute steady paced sessions on the bike, so I am used to long bouts.
    In all honesty I am not certain how long I will keep with this kind of workout as it is very taxing and I may need to give my body a break before long.

The general consensus on this forum seems to be that I must be doing a different version of HIIT to everyone else, as it would be too much, perhaps I am, but is there any reason not to keep doing what I am doing here -should it be performed in a 'short sharp blast' to get the benefits? -in which case I could swap to 3Work-1Rest pattern instead..
    Qualified Gym Instructor

well HIIT you should ideally be incorporating 10-20sec intervals of 100% effort with perhaps 1-2min rest inbetween.

They should only really be done for no longer than 4 weeks at a time as they are severely demanding on the CNS if "performed correctly"
    Quote Quote
    When you eat the foods your body is made for (Paleo foods) in a framework that your body is made for (feast-fast, such as IF), it all works beautifully.
    MP573 for 5% discount off all products!!

Personally I go 30 seconds slow, 30 seconds 100%, 30 seconds slow.....for 12mins total or untill I collapse, which ever comes first, normally the latter. lol
    PB's as of 01/09/2013: Deads 230kg, Squat 200kg , Bench 115kg,
    End of 2013 Targets: Deads 250kg, Squats 220kg, Bench 130kg.
    Do you want a 5% discount on your order? If so use MP42387.
    My New Current Training Log My Old Training Log My Velocity Diet

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

Was_once_fat_dave is a General Forum Moderator.

Thread Information