1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Best way to get fit/in shape for football?

Hi all,

Been working with push pull legs, and it's going ok, but I now want to really get fit for football. Trouble is I've not done any cardio for a year, and predictably, am grossly unfit, so I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the best/quickest way to get fit and in shape for football. I'd imagine a lot of leg strength work and things which will condition my body for sprint bursts and twists and turns. I've heard things like keeping heart rate at a certain level and changing between sprinting and jogging help build fitness quickly.

Thanks a lot
    MP Veteran

I play alot of football. Pre season I would start off with a few miles run. 4-5 times a week. then build it up over the course of 3-4 weeks. Also once a week, if you can manage it, do a 90 minute run. with the 90 min run, every 15-20 mins, do a 3-4 lamp post sprint, then back to light gogging. With in that 3-4 weeks, you'll be ready for a game! I dont know much about the leg weights side of things but that the cardio

Want any more help, or a few weeks plan, Let me know.
    Last edited by adamwenn100; 28-02-2007 at 04:54 PM.
    simon m
    I used shuttle sprints to get into oxygen debt as football like rugby is played in short bursts.

What I also used to do was jog from a lampost, then sprint to the next one then jog and so on. After a mile or two I was knackered, but it got me fit every time.

run run run
    Teetotal

1. Run 2 miles as fast as you can.

2. Jog for 2 mins then sprint for 30 secs. Start off at 20 mins and build up from there.
    MP5500 for 5% off first order!
    Training Journal - My Pic's
    Scouse squatter

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by simon m View Post
    I used shuttle sprints to get into oxygen debt as football like rugby is played in short bursts.

What I also used to do was jog from a lampost, then sprint to the next one then jog and so on. After a mile or two I was knackered, but it got me fit every time.
    exactly what i did last year. had me dominating the physical side of the game!...too damn heavy now
    Use referer code MP4037 for 5% off your first order.
    It's the best one!
    Teetotal

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Karlos02 View Post
    exactly what i did last year. had me dominating the physical side of the game!...too damn heavy now
    How heavy are you? I'm 16st and really struggling with my football atm. Although being off for 6 months due to injury and being the wrong side of 30 doesn't help either been back about 4 weeks I think.

It's just the 18 year olds who are 9st wet through and play football every single day... whippersnappers! feel like going into the tackle real hard sometimes with frustration

I found the same thing last year but once I cut down to just under 15st I was mobile enough to be able to make use of my strength and weight to make up for what I was lacking in acceleration and speed of turn.
    MP5500 for 5% off first order!
    Training Journal - My Pic's
    Scouse squatter

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Bison View Post
    It's just the 18 year olds who are 9st wet through and play football every single day... whippersnappers! feel like going into the tackle real hard sometimes with frustration

I found the same thing last year but once I cut down to just under 15st I was mobile enough to be able to make use of my strength and weight to make up for what I was lacking in acceleration and speed of turn.
    haha yeh i hate them, my mate who is about 8 stone and unbelievably nibble leaves me standing everytime unless i use my weight in a full body tackle,which isnt always appreciated lol, im 16.6 stone btw.

i know exactly what you mean, last year i was under 15 stone, obviously not quite as strong, but i could use my weight and strength so much better than i can now.
    my turning speed is pretty awful, but i find im very fast over a 25 meter sprint, must be the added leg/glut power.

im cutting now so if i can reduce my weight significantly, improve fitness slightly and maintain strength, should be a completely different player.
    Use referer code MP4037 for 5% off your first order.
    It's the best one!
    MP 'Expert'

Blog Entries
    I wouldnt bother with too many long runs. As Simon has pointed out, train for the sport, i.e. mimic it as closely as possible in your training.

Google 'Fartlek' training - used extensively in football fitness training.

In the gym I would try and incorporate some oly lifts as well as the usual compound lifts. 4 sets of 4 reps is the 'accepted' strength protocol for 'soccer' in the research
    5% OFF your first order & Endless FREE advice - just use the code MP4156 when you order
    Click here for details of my Nutrition Mentorship | DUBLIN Conference 2013
    Follow me on Facebook and Twitter for nutrition updates
    Qualified Gym Instructor

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    Google 'Fartlek' training - used extensively in football fitness training.

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/fartlek.htm
    Last edited by MartinM; 01-03-2007 at 10:32 PM.
    Quote Quote
    When you eat the foods your body is made for (Paleo foods) in a framework that your body is made for (feast-fast, such as IF), it all works beautifully.
    MP573 for 5% discount off all products!!

Thread Information