1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
  • Burn 9 Times More Fat

A study at Laval University in Quebec, Canada found that High Intensity Interval Training helped trainees lose up to 9 times more fat then those who used conventional cardio methods (moderate speed for 20-60 minutes) based on its ability to help you increase your metabolism and growth hormone levels. Here we take a look at one of the most popular fat loss training methods used by athletes and bodybuilders today.

High Intensity Interval training is very simply where you perform periods of high intensity training (e.g. a 30 second sprint) followed by a period of low intensity training (e.g. 90 seconds of slow jogging.) It can be done with a variety of equipment and exercises can vary from using just bodyweight, dumbbells, barbells, kettlebells, medicine balls and unconventional equipment such as sledgehammers, sleds and battling ropes. The duration of the interval will depend on a few factors such as the level of aerobic fitness of the athlete themselves and their goals in mind and the ratio of Rest: Recovery may vary from 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, 4:1, 5:1.

Studies show that the main reason for the increased loss of fat is due to the effect of EPOC (Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption). This is basically the amount of calories your body will burn after the exercise session has been completed in order to return your body to the state it was in before the exercise took place. This tends to be a lot higher when completing High Intensity Interval Training compared to say a 60 minute steady run, since the body must work harder to restore blood lactate levels to normal, lower your heart rate and body temperature as well as a whole number of enzymic activity that goes on inside the body. Put simply, studies have found there to be a direct correlation between EPOC (and therefore post exercise calorie expenditure) and the intensity of your workouts, and since High Intensity Interval Training is designed to put a lot of stress on the body, itís also ideal for burning the most amount of calories.

Beginner H.I.I.T Training

- Warm Up: 10 minutes of moderate exercise (roughly 60% of your maximum work rate)
    - 60 seconds of high intensity exercise (roughly 75%+ of your maximum work rate)
    - 60 seconds of moderate exercise
    - 60 seconds of high intensity exercise
    - Cool Down: 4 minutes of moderate exercise (roughly 50% of your maximum work rate)

Total Workout Time: Approx: 24 minutes

Intermediate H.I.I.T Training

- Warm Up: 20 minutes of moderate exercise (roughly 60% of your maximum work rate)
    - 60 seconds of high intensity exercise (roughly 75%+ of your maximum work rate)
    - 45 seconds of moderate exercise
    - Cool Down: 10 minutes of moderate exercise (roughly 50% of your maximum work rate)

Total Workout Time: Approx: 38 minutes

Advanced H.I.I.T Training

- Warm Up: 30 minutes of moderate exercise (roughly 60% of your maximum work rate)
    - 30 seconds of moderate exercise
    - Cool Down: 10 minutes of moderate exercise (roughly 50% of your maximum work rate)

Total Workout Time: Approx: 48 minutes

Discuss on the MP Forum.
    Comments 10 Comments
      Lose not loose. I don't want to loose 9 times more fat, why'd I want loose fat? Comon a bit of proof reading please.

PS. This article is complete bs.
      You mentioned "studies" 3 times in the article yet did not reference any of them.

References are required to give your argument any validity. Without them, text is completely meaningless.
      Where is the study reference? I want to read it.

Nearly every HIIT study showing greater fat loss had the trainees working at an absurdly intense and unrealistic level - i.e a level that most of us could not even come close to working at for the required duration.
      MJ I did a 20 second google search for "laval high intensity interval training" and found an article - admittedly by a marketeer - basically dissecting the study and debunking. From the article it was quoted that the HIIT only lost 400g more than the steady state group and something about the SS group obtaining higher skin fold samples in the calves for the final result producing meaningless results. Not to mention the original fat percentages of the HIIT was higher. This is all paraphrased from the article and I know better to take something at face value but unlike this article his did actually include quotes and results.

Not to mention the EPOC of HIIT is barely higher than SS and it's dependant on how fit you already are.
      HTK

Impact of exercise intensity on body fatness and ... [Metabolism. 1994] - PubMed - NCBI
      Thanks. Unfortunately all i can get (without paying) is an abstract which does not tell me the actual protocols. I'm sure this is one of the studies Lyle McDonald talked about in his epic dissection of HIIT claims vs SS, and it was one of the ones where the HIIT group had to work at almost superhuman levels.
      Quote Quote
      Originally Posted by hailtotheking View Post
      Thanks. Unfortunately all i can get (without paying) is an abstract which does not tell me the actual protocols. I'm sure this is one of the studies Lyle McDonald talked about in his epic dissection of HIIT claims vs SS, and it was one of the ones where the HIIT group had to work at almost superhuman levels.
      http://www.colorado.edu/intphys/Clas...y/Tremblay.pdf

I think this is it?
      HIIT is great for, as you guys say, superhuman/sport specific athletes that are gifted with great recovery, for the rest of us there is brisk walking in a fasted state - pretty much minimal effort with maximum results, ZERO pain or recovery issues.
      Did HIIT for 3 months or so, lost a load of fat, some muscle too, became a beast, could run a 5 minute mile, entered the Spartan race in Cambridge - came 4th.

My HIIT workouts were homemade and phucking intense.

Bulking now, have forgotten what cardio is.
      MP must think we're a right bunch of cynical b**tards!

And they'd be right

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2