1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
  • Insulin: Key To Fat Loss - Ben Coomber

Before we get cosy and talk insulin, intermittent fasting, carbs and the like do one thing for me, reach into that place where you have that picture, you know which one, that go to picture that reminds us of where were trying to get too. Still confused, hereís mine....

Now get me? For me the above is the epitome of where I want my body to be, explosive, strong, lean, physically able, proportional, not too bulky but hench, an all round athlete.

Laying the foundations....

Letís face it, were in the iron game for a reason. We like to lift, we like to look good, we enjoy being strong and we want to be that guy that can whip his top of wherever whenever and be beach ready. Oh, that not you? Sorry! In that case letís change the course of time and empower you with some fine details that could really make or break your physique, Adonis style.

You see for years we have battled with the bulk and cut regime, should we stay lean, should we go for it, can I do it all at once? Thoughts that enter our minds all the time, even mine, it would be unnatural and against human nature to think I couldnít conquer all of my goals at once. After all Iím a machine right?

Thereís a geek in all of us....

Now if you canít tell already Iím a geek, a nutrition geek, and for a good reason. When youíre working with people that want results yesterday you better have a damn good idea how the body works. Every bit of knowledge we obtain, empowers us to do more, achieve more and reach our goals quicker.

Now before I geek out on you understand that at the end of this article I will provide you with one simple strategy, something you can try tomorrow to harness the power of insulin. But this article is only for that man that wants to build muscle while still rocking the Brad Pitt ďfight clubĒ style look. Iím a man that likes to take his top of when needed and be proud, this article is aimed at the like minded.

The guy in charge: Insulin

So insulin is secreted when we consume certain foods, in varying magnitudes, but largely from carbohydrates and dairy (Iím generalising the most Insulin reactive foods, donít shoot me on the specifics yet). We are more sensitive to insulin in the morning (1), so we do not want porridge and whey protein if we want to stay lean, sorry to kill your breakfast right there and then, go the Spanish omelette route instead and save the insulin release for when you really want it. Yes, protein can stimulate insulin, but this will depend on its amino acid profile, but for the sake of this article were sticking to carbohydrates and dairy. Insulin has the power to influence liver, muscle and fat cells and the nutrients they uptake, largely glucose (2). So stimulate at the right time for muscle, the wrong time for fat.

What is key is that insulin STOPS fat being burnt as a fuel by inhibiting glucagon release. But we want to burn fat for fuel, not just when losing weight, but daily as an energy source to maintain weight, so thus we need to control insulin the majority of the time. Remember that the body runs a cycle of store, burn and use, itís a constant cycle for every meal that comes in. Estimation is that itís a 33/33/33% split with the food that comes in, store some, burn some and the rest is used for metabolic process (2). But I strongly believe that what comes in results in how the calorie is used.

So while it is good to control insulin, it is also good to become more sensitive to it.

But thereís a catch. If you are serious about your physique then do this, if youíre not then donít. Why? Because when you go off the rails, go out on a bender, or abuse your diet for any period of time then the road to ruin can be quicker as your body is more sensitive to the deleterious effects of insulin. Become more sensitive and it takes less sugar (as an example) to get the same response, so you could in turn gain fat even quicker when hitting the pizza and beer. So if you want to get ripped, can control your diet most of the time and stick to a solid training plan then continue reading, of not I bid you well.

Now letís analyse the benefits of being sensitive to insulin:

1. Increased amino acid uptake post exercise in the presence of increased insulin levels
    2. Greater simulation of GLUT-4 transporter when ingesting carbohydrates and itís diversion into the muscle cells as a result of muscle heightened muscle contraction (exercise)
    3. Faster recovery due to muscles ability to draw glucose from the blood instead of fat tissue and get repairing quick step

So letís tie this in to the strategy, which I have coined the "Fat-Fast" aka the "Ben Coomber breakfast.Ē Sure Iím not re-inventing the wheel here, Iím just piecing together systems that I have tried and tested with myself and clients along with proven theories from the science.

The breakfast, or lack of, is going to help sensitise you to insulin with the aid of coffee (4, 5, although sensitivity benefits of coffee are argued with quantity consumed, I find two medium strength cups with each a serving of oil works fine) and cinnamon (8) or cinnamon extract. Thus making you more efficient at partitioning nutrients into muscle tissue when needed, and enabling you to oxidise fat as a fuel source through fat ingestion.

So the theory in practice....

Intermittent fasting (leangains style) + caffeine + coconut oil + cinnamon

Last meal at 8-9pm, lunch around 12-1pm as per leangains.com

Waking till lunch: coffee or green tea + coconut oil

So from waking up until lunch all you are allowed is black organic coffee or green tea with 1tsp of coconut oil per cup. Want to mix up the green tea and coffee, go for it, they both have their benefits. The caffeine is going to up regulate fat burning in combination with the coconut oil. The oil is going to provide calories to the working body, improve health, skin condition, gut health, the immune system and act as a microbial and anti-fungal (6, 7). Plus it tastes lush, well I think so. What happens if you donít enjoy the coconut oil? Try whole whipping cream instead, but coconut oil is preferred due to the many other health benefits, otherwise just let it cool and neck it, job done! To then crank this up further you can add a Ĺ tsp of cinnamon to your coffee and oil, again more cinnamon at this stage is good. Taste rank with green tea, fine with coffee.

Now break-fast food will depend on whether or not you can work out before lunch, which is the ideal scenario, if not then the food changes accordingly. No ergogenic (performance enhancing) supplements will be listed as this is a whole other topic, just macronutrients, but if working out pre lunch put down 10-20g of BCAAís intra-workout or ideally Exceed, a personal favourite.

Lunch post workout (1): Moderate protein, high starchy carbs, low fat

Lunch without a workout (2): Moderate protein, high fat, low carb

Post workout lunch example (1): 30g of whey isolate or similar & 30-50g of dextrose/waxy maize starch, 2 chicken breasts in spices, 100-200g of white rice, serving of green veggies, piece of fruit, 2 tsp fish oil, optional glass of whole milk.

Lunch on non workout day (2): 500g of free range mince beef fried in own fat and seasoned with smoked paprika, salt and pepper and little coconut oil, curly kale, onions, peppers.

Now if you workout in the evening lunch is going to be number 2, then dinner, which is post workout is going to be number 1. If you had meal 1 after your workout then meal 2 is dinner. You can have 2 meals a day, which I find good on time and if eating enough is fine, otherwise have an afternoon snack on something like a few boiled eggs or handful of nuts and some raw veggies like carrots dipped in hummus. Now with both meals you are also going to have 1tsp of cinnamon in a little water with the 1st few mouthfuls of the meal. Donít worry about the cinnamon if having a snack, just a hassle to think about it. Again have some fish oil at dinner, 2 tsp oil or 3-4 caps.

Carbohydrates: I base the carb intake above in the post workout meal in the average guy, compared to me and many that I have worked with. Different body types will soon find the sweet spot in terms of lean muscle gain and fat gain with the post workout carb intake. For me if I overshoot the 150g mark (depending on workout volume and intensity of course) itís more fat than good stuff, so listening to your body and being able to alter the variables is really important. I know some guys that can get in up to 7-800g post workout from crazy intakes and still pile on the good stuff. So individualisation is key.

Calories: I donít count them and 99% of the time I donít build programs for other people with any counting involved. I like to teach to listen to your body and let the actual calories consumed do the talking. But if you are a counter and like to geek out on that kind of stuff then I find eating at maintenance or just over is ideal for fat loss and slow muscle gain due to improved nutrient partitioning post training, but I am personally having good success with eating above maintenance (around 5-800) and gaining muscle with slow fat loss, so again play with the variables.

For the calorie concerned a heaped tsp of coconut oil (9g) is around 90 calories...

DISCLAIMER: if youíre going to use this protocol, intermittent fasting, plus the coconut oil with macronutrient cycling, do it 100% or not at all. Itís a protocol, like any, that needs adherence to work optimally. Example; do this for 3 weeks to get ripped for a holiday and the bender that ensues during the holiday will make the rebound fat gain quick due to your increased sensitivity to insulin from all the crap you will be eating and drinking, so be warned!

Ben Coomber is the owner of www.bodytypenutrition.co.uk and director of performance nutrition and assistant strength coach at The Training Lab based in West Sussex. He works with people looking to rapidly transform their body alongside coaching a handful of athletes, both online and in person. He also teaches and will be running several seminars in 2012 across the UK. Want to geek out on nutrition with him? Add him on facebook and join in the conversation with his blogs, videos and upcoming podcast: http://www.facebook.com/BenCoomber1

References:
    1. Sofer et al,. (2011). Greater weight loss and hormonal changes after 6 months diet with carbohydrates eaten mostly at dinner. Obesity. 19(10):2006-2014.
    2. Antonio, J. Et al. (2008). Essentials of sports nutrition and supplements. Humana Press.
    3. Martin Berkham, Leangains.com
    4. Tianying, W. U., et al. (2005). Caffeinated Coffee, Decaffeinated Coffee, and Caffeine in Relation to Plasma C-Peptide Levels, a Marker of Insulin Secretion, in U.S. Women. Diabetes Care. 28(6):1390-1396.
    5. Arnlov, J. (2004). Coffee consumption and insulin sensitivity. American Journal of American Medical Association. 291(10):1199-1201.
    6. Nevin, K. G. & Rajamohan, T. (2003). Beneficial effects of virgin coconut oil on lipid parameters and in vitro LDL oxidation. Clinical Biochemistry. 37(9):830-835.
    7. Enig, M. (1996). Health and nutritional benefits from coconut oil: An important functional food for the 21st century. Presented at the AVOC Lauric Oils Symposium, Ho Chi Min City, Vietnam, Western A. Price Foundation.
    8. Anderson, R. A. (2008). Chromium and polyphenols from cinnamon improve insulin sensitivity. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society. 67:48-53.

Discuss on the MP Forum.
    Comments 48 Comments
      I'll bite... nice one, Ben. Enjoyed the article as ever, like how you are a 'rank and file' fast-er now, you have joined the dark side

90 calories between the hours of fasting (in one serving) technically pushes the body out of the fast (it is commonly believed that around 50 calories tops is a level to shoot for), however, I know Matt Lalonde is a huge fan of coconut oil/heavy cream in morning coffee WHILST fasting (even going as far as having multiples of heaped teaspoons!); to which there is the obvious researched benefits (MCT, lauric acid, effects on insulin etc etc etc).

It's nice to see more positive stuff on coffee though, the studies are there to show the positive effects (which many people poo-poo or miss out), personally, I attribute coffee to staying lean/getting ripped thanks to it's superb effects on catecholamine up-regulation whilst fasting and with brisk walks (along with superb diet, of course!)
      Going to give this a try....what would you recommend for an evening meal?

Thanks, Dan
      Great article! So if i get this right, the day looks like this :

in the morning coffee+green tea+coconut oil+ cinnamon (8:00)
      lunch 2 (12:00)
      workout ( Iworkout at 17:00 )
      lunch 1 (18:30)
      dinner: eggs, vegies etc. (21:00)
      and that is that?? you dont eat breakfast, or some snacks between meals? You dont eat nothing before lunch?

and that is that?? you dont eat breakfast, or some snacks between meals? You dont eat nothing before lunch?

Really interesting article. I'm tempted to give this a whirl, but i'd imagine that part way through or even before i begin, i'll has questions to ask......

I know Ben has provided his FB account, but getting answers to specific questions when he probably has loads of followers already might leave me waiting a while.
      I wonder if like-minded experts on the MP forums would be able to help should it be needed?
      Quote Quote
      Originally Posted by k.jacko View Post
      Really interesting article. I'm tempted to give this a whirl, but i'd imagine that part way through or even before i begin, i'll has questions to ask......

I know Ben has provided his FB account, but getting answers to specific questions when he probably has loads of followers already might leave me waiting a while.
      I wonder if like-minded experts on the MP forums would be able to help should it be needed?
      Ben is very active on our Facebook page amongst many other knowledgeable fans. If you do have any baring questions, please fire them up onto the page, and if not Ben, I'm sure someone else will be able to provide sound advice.
      Quote Quote
      Originally Posted by tomas82 View Post

correct. no breakfast, just the 2 meals
      Quote Quote
      Originally Posted by danjs33 View Post
      Going to give this a try....what would you recommend for an evening meal?
      This will depend when you train (in relation to dinner time), if you want to be anal.

Quote Quote

Right! Have a peek - The Leangains Guide | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Quote Quote
      Originally Posted by k.jacko View Post

Fire up stuff in this thread or start another thread in the correct section of the forums, there will be plenty of support available
      Quote Quote

This is pretty much what I do, it's very easy to follow and I never feel hungry
      This article gets a thumbs-up from me (obviously!). I'm sure Gary Taubes would approve too!
      Class article, and something I will be doing.

However what do I do if I train twice a day?

Every weekday I run 4 miles when I wake up at 6.00am and then I box after work at 6.30pm.

Does this mean after running I still dont eat until 1.00 when I have my dinner, or will I need to eat after my run?

Thanks in advance for any advice
      LG is geared at lifting IMO (carb cycling etc)

If you want to fast, I'd suggest brad pilons 24hr eat stop eat (which is what I do, and I lift also)
      So this sort of dieting wouldnt benefit a boxer? I thought it looked perfect to help me keep weight for when I fight, and if you have the energy to lift weights while on this diet then surely the same applies for boxing?

Also I take the old saying of 'breakfast being the most important meal' being rubbish?
      Boxing and running - cardio workouts which are vastly different to resistance, and if anything will help loose mass not gain. Boxing is like HIIT IMO

Resistance exercise will help you keep mass

And yea, breakfast thing is total horse ****
      Ok quality. Nice1 for the reply
      Nice article.

I personally just have some black coffee 1st thing in the morning, then have a cup of dark miso (about 40 kcals) with a sprinkle of turmeric and cayenne late morning (just to get some b-vits and some body temp up), then before training at around 1pm i will have a desert spoon BCAA and MCT's.
      Hi everyone first time on forum. Interesting artical. I tend to trian first thing in morning, I have tried this on an empty stomach for fat loss followed post workout shake with a fast absorbing carb and whey for insulin spike. Stopped this as i get shakes half way thought session and get the shakes.

On that thought any ideas with regards to training fist thing for fat loss and lean weight gain. Weight training sessions and also cardio fat loss sessions.

Ta
      A good dose of caffeine before fasted training would increase release of fatty acids into the blood, which should help stop the hypolgycemic symptoms (the shakes) . Using some MCT powder / oil before training would have a similar effect.
      Thanks for that. I did read that coffee spikes insulin and with insulin present in your system fat burning is not going to happen. I expect from reading this article and threads this is not the case ?

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2