1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Tea makes me vomit

** Senior

Well, not always. I drink loads of tea all the time and usually the experiance is entirely pleasant, but every now and then I drink tea (milk, no sugar) on an empty stomache in the morning and within half an hour I'm sick. Then there are no problems afterwards. I'm pretty sure it's the tea because this has been going on for the past few years and it usually occurs when I've drunk it on an empty stomache and the fact that there are no ill feelings afterwards suggests that vomitting solved whatever the problem was. This doesn't happen with green tea or mamomile tea, just ordinary tetley.

What do you reckon to that? I really like tea, so is there some way I can prevent this from happening? Every morning I get up and my mouth is a bit dry and my eyes don't open properly and I regret getting out of bed and it's a cup of tea that turns my day around, and I think that's a good time to do it because if you start your day like that and don't do anything about it you aint gonna have no good day.

You may have guessed, it happened to me this morning, but I'll repeat: t's not an every day occurance. I'd say something like once every three to six weeks. I've been fortunate the last few times because it's happened before I've had my breakfast, but I could be wasting good food and fish oils if that happened after I ate. All in all, quite unpleasant.
    Green's a very suspicious colour for food....

MP4498
    Rab J.C
    i have a weak stomach in the morning evey now and then. may well be in accordance with that weekend if you have been out on the lash.

certain medications and illegal medications severely **** up your guts aswell.

RC
    ** Senior

No, it's nothing like that... Infact, about half a year ago I woke up with a bit of a hangover, so I made a stern cup of tea with 4 teabags and it cured my hangover.

I rarely drink and right now I think it's been something like 3 weeks since I went drinking and before that it was a couple of months so this vomitting problem must be unrelated.

MP4498
    MP Veteran

Blog Entries
    It's amazing what you turn up if you just put your entire question in a seach engine!

Quote Quote
    Why does drinking tea on an empty stomach make me vomit?

It's weird. Just normal plain Lipton tea makes me vomit when I drink it on an empty stomach. I'd like to know if there is a scientific reason behind this.

Answers:
    Well, tea has caffeine which can be emetic (vomit-inducing) in large concentrations. I guess drinking it on an empty stomach may enhance its effects.

At least in the case of green tea, vomiting is listed as one of the side effects (see second link). Tea has tannic acid and can upset an empty stomach.
    http://www.byedr.com/medicine/4989-1-byedr.html
    Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.
    ** Senior

Thanks, Nu I didn't think it would be anywhere near as simple! Presumably, then, if I were to switch to decaf I could knock this one on the head. Funny that I've never had any problems with green tea despite your article specifying vomitting as a side effect.

MP4498
    MP Veteran

Blog Entries
    It's funny, but when I put different truncated versions of the question into Google I just got pages and pages of links to articles on morning sickness in pregnancy! However, one pertinent fact from all of those was that nausea is worse when the stomach is empty and it is better to eat a small protein meal on rising, yet for people who tend to say they can't face breakfast first thing it's usually because they feel nauseous - a sort of catch-22 situation!
    Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.
    ** Senior

I suspected the solution to vomitting because of drinking tea on an empty stomache might be not to do it! It is usually the case that I have a cup of tea after breakfast rather than before, but if I've got a bit more time on my hands I like a few cups either side of the meal! I suppose it's a case of saying if you REALLY want a cup of tea first thing in the morning then you risk being sick but it's best to leave it 'till after breakfast, then?

MP4498
    MP Veteran

Blog Entries
    Yup...like the old doctor joke: 'It hurts when I do this. Then don't do that!'.
    Scouse squatter

Simetimes when i wake up if i lie in bed for abit, i start to feel really sick in my stomach, like i could puke. Im pretty sure it's just hunger with me lol..maybe you just need to eat sooner instead of drinking all this tea
    Use referer code MP4037 for 5% off your first order.
    It's the best one!
    Ollie
    Black coffee on an empty stomach makes me feel sick, especially with milk.

I guess that's why

Thread Information