1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Default grains that can be eaten raw?

I know that oats can be eaten raw by most people without any problems, but what about other grains?

I remember ripped caveman saying a while back that he managed to eat quinoa raw a while back without any issue.
    MP Code MP2931 for 5% off first order - and make daddy some money ...

I dont need to sell my soul, he's already in me
    Stone Roses - "I Wanna Be Adored"

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

hailtotheking is a Global Moderator.
    mxd
    MP Veteran -MP27405 5% of

brown rice
    in 18 weeks out tom eats 100g raw rice and gets called a pervert by surfstack lol
    IF you feel i have helped you, use my code and Get 5%! off your first order code: MP27405 Click Here for my log My Pics

Just been looking on the web. Apparently quinoa flakes are fairly 'instant' (like oats) and can just be crushed, mixed with water, and eaten.

I might go with that, as it is in keeping with my paleo approach.

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

MP Veteran

Blog Entries
    I would recommend that any grains you wish to consume raw should be soaked and sprouted first. This disables most of the antinutrient phytates and enhances their nutritional qualities. It is another method of fermentation used by indigenous peoples eating in traditional ways. Soak the grains over night in clean water then discard the water and rinse the grains. Place the wet grains in a sprouter or laid out on blotting paper in a seed tray until they start to sprout.

Obviously you will need to get a 'production line' going if you want to consume these on a daily basis...i.e. always have a batch soaking as one batch is sprouting while you are harvesting another batch!

This will not apply to rolled oats and possibly not quinoa, which is more a seed than a grain. Though seeds are often more nutritious when sprouted. Same with beans.
    MP Veteran

I agree with Nu.

There is a dish that used to be called "frumenty" that consisted of soaked wheat grains being eaten for breakfast. I used to eat it lots.

The point is that the grains would have been partially germinated therefore, and far more nutritious than just eating them in their unsoaked state with a glass of water. The give-away for me was that the soaked grains were definitely sweeter than the unfermented ones - a sure sign of biological activity on the part of the seed.

It is also worth noting that the barley powder sold by MP is also soaked first and therefore at the germination stage when it is dried and ground.
    The Moderate Moderator

Wotan is a Super Moderator.

Good heads up on the barley there Wotan - i forgot all about that stuff! I'm not really keen on using oats because if i consume them regularly my IBS flares up.

Interestingly, just found this http://www.celiac.com/articles/1052/...ats/Page1.html, which may suggest that barely has its own enzymes for breaking down gluten.

Thread Information