1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Default Low carb ... alcohol

** Junior

Quick question really!

Is it possible to follow a low carb diet if you still have alcohol a couple of times a week! If so what are the best drinks to have?

Thanks for replies guys!
    Bounced

having a low carb diet means your going ketogenic correct? this energy source is killed by alcohol so is it really a good idea?
    Training for the BPC British Championships as a junior 90kg...2009 goal: outlift Jason lol

Code MP34234 for 5% off your 1st order!! Use it NOW!
    MP Veteran

Alcohol is an absolute killer on low carb diets.

Best avoided unless you want to keep your fat, potentially pass out (without being drunk) and wake up with the mother of all headaches.

If you must drink on a low carb diet have a good serving of carbs in the hours leading up to drinking, it'll help.
    Last edited by Ripped Barbarian; 08-07-2008 at 09:45 PM.
    High Fat Diet Sucks

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

Ripped Barbarian is a Supplements & Training and Diet Moderator.
    ** Junior

Okey dokey thanks guys! Would one night drinking alcohol completely ruin a low carb diet, and make it more detrimental than a high carb diet with alcohol?

So basically what is worse:
    High carb with alcohol
    Low carb with alcohol

NB. We're only talking one night a weekend
    AlexTemper
    How much alcohol?

A couple of drinks isn't going to be the end of the world, spirits are very low on the carb content and you can use a diet mixer although you've got sweetner to deal with instead which is almost as bad.
    ** Junior

Well I guess realistically 6-7 drinks...the perils of being a student
    AlexTemper
    Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by sam_15 View Post
    Well I guess realistically 6-7 drinks...the perils of being a student
    Well you're probably not gonna fair too well then on low carb in all honesty. you'll process the alcohol quickly enough but if you're looking to lean up and look dry then this won't happen very easily.
    Qualified Gym Instructor

Quote Quote
    Is it possible to follow a low carb diet if you still have alcohol a couple of times a week! If so what are the best drinks to have?
    Yes it is possible to follow a low carb diet and still have alcohol, vodka amongst most other spirits have zero carbs. It's the mixers like coke, lemonade and lager/bitter etc. that contain the carbs

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Powerlifter0 View Post
    having a low carb diet means your going ketogenic correct? this energy source is killed by alcohol so is it really a good idea?
    low carb doesn't mean ketogenic

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Ripped Caveman View Post
    Alcohol is an absolute killer on low carb diets.

Best avoided unless you want to keep your fat, potentially pass out (without being drunk) and wake up with the mother of all headaches.

If you must drink on a low carb diet have a good serving of carbs in the hours leading up to drinking, it'll help.
    well I follow a lowish carb diet, circa sub 100g daily and I still drink on the weekends. Mostly white spirits but also have beer and red wine depending on how I feel.

I have found that I have remained a lot leaner whilst still drinking and following a high fat, low carb approach as to when I consumed a carb based diet.

What does having a good serving of carbs prior to drinking have to do with anything???
    Quote Quote
    Okey dokey thanks guys! Would one night drinking alcohol completely ruin a low carb diet, and make it more detrimental than a high carb diet with alcohol?

So basically what is worse:
    High carb with alcohol
    Low carb with alcohol

NB. We're only talking one night a weekend
    Worse for what? Either way alcohol isn't the greatest macronutrient but I have found bodyfat has remained lower despite drinking the same amount on a high fat approach.

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by AlexTemper View Post
    How much alcohol?

A couple of drinks isn't going to be the end of the world, spirits are very low on the carb content and you can use a diet mixer although you've got sweetner to deal with instead which is almost as bad.
    agreed
    Quote Quote
    When you eat the foods your body is made for (Paleo foods) in a framework that your body is made for (feast-fast, such as IF), it all works beautifully.
    MP573 for 5% discount off all products!!
    Bounced

Gareth likes to reply to EVERYONE

Mate - if your concerned with a 'low carb' diet, you obviously want results either fat loss, lean muscle, probably both tbf..? Well drinking 6-7 drinks once a week is going to hinder your gains A LOT.

edit: you do realise that carbs are not really the 'main' concern with alcohol, more the test supression for days afterwards, hydration messed up, not eating whilst drinking, protein sythesis stopped whilst the alcohol is in you... Just checking you know?
    Training for the BPC British Championships as a junior 90kg...2009 goal: outlift Jason lol

Code MP34234 for 5% off your 1st order!! Use it NOW!
    MP Veteran

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Gareth83 View Post
    What does having a good serving of carbs prior to drinking have to do with anything???
    Takes you out of ketosis, if you are in it.

I think it'd mostly be an 'issue' if you were very low carb and fully reliant upon ketosis.

Alcohol nocks out the ketosis and you're running on the alcohol and then bang, out of energy, unconscious etc.

I have noted effects of alcohol when on very low carb diets, not pretty.
    With more carbs i am quite alcohol resistant but on VLC i found 2 drinks made me pretty spaced out, afterwards made my heart beat very fast and one time 'ruined my prospects' if you know what i mean.
    High Fat Diet Sucks

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

Ripped Barbarian is a Supplements & Training and Diet Moderator.

Thread Information