1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Default Paleo diet - post back surgery

** Junior

Hi guys,
    I'm currently getting to grips with the paleo diet but in short summary I'm hungry all the time and want someone to help me with how to combat this.

I'm used to eating carbs which give me that 'full feeling' and a high calorie bodybuilding diet but I'm having to change my ways because I'm post back surgery, so training is limited which I will explain below.

I'm currently one month post back surgery, I suffered 3 bulging discs while training for a competition, damage was suffered mainly from a combination of training: deadlift, leg press and hack squat. I tried everything but finally admitted defeat after 15 weeks of agony, feeling like I was being electrocuted.... decided to have surgery.

No fusing of discs just decompression. My bodybuilding training's done, I've been told I cannot lift more than 20kgs (vertical load on spine) which is ok as I don't want to go through any sciatic nerve pain again.

My nerve's were severely squashed, I've had lot's of muscle wastage in my left foot but after surgery my right foot's now hypersentive (feels like when you sleep on your arm and it feels dead) but feeling will come back in around 6-9 months. Since I haven't trained properly since september my body fat's gone up massively and body composition's changed dramatically, lost 2 stones in 3 weeks (18st to 16st).

Back to the paleo diet - Even though I'm only able to swim and use the exercise bike I still feel really hungry on paleo. Is there any recommended meals that will give me more of a full feeling? I'm eating nuts like a frigging squirrel and lots of protein but still get hungry very quickly after meals!

Regards,
    A hungry hunter gatherer!
    <MP20180>

Sorry to hear that mate, I be pee'd right off if I couldn't train.

RC's your man for this question.
    MP Veteran

Firstly good luck with your recovery.

The best foods to fill you up whilst following a paleo diet are high protein seafoods/fish and vegetables as they have a low calorie density, take a while to digest and the seafood contains lots of protein which makes you feel less hungry.
    Most seafood is about 1cals/gram, or even less, vegetables are even lower than this.

Nuts are quite calorie dense and don't fill you up without eating a load, which would be a LOT of calories as they are roughly 7cals/gram

It's easy to eat 200g of nuts providing 1400 calories, i guarantee you that you'd feel VERY full after eating 1400 calories of prawns which is about 1.3 kilograms.
    High Fat Diet Sucks

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

Ripped Barbarian is a Supplements & Training and Diet Moderator.
    ** Junior

Luffers, RC, thanks for the quick replies it's very much appreciated!

RC that's brilliant! Simple, efficient answer thanks very much for your help I'll definitely follow those rules from now on.

Rob

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Ripped Caveman View Post
    Firstly good luck with your recovery.

The best foods to fill you up whilst following a paleo diet are high protein seafoods/fish and vegetables as they have a low calorie density, take a while to digest and the seafood contains lots of protein which makes you feel less hungry.
    Most seafood is about 1cals/gram, or even less, vegetables are even lower than this.

Nuts are quite calorie dense and don't fill you up without eating a load, which would be a LOT of calories as they are roughly 7cals/gram

It's easy to eat 200g of nuts providing 1400 calories, i guarantee you that you'd feel VERY full after eating 1400 calories of prawns which is about 1.3 kilograms.
    It's Portugese for Eat.

I don't envy you mate, I have a couple of slipped discs expressing themselves down my right leg via sciatic pain. I'm stretching like crazy under my physio's advice to avoid surgery! Sciatic nerve pain sucks royally.

I'm following a version of the Paleo diet, and agree with RC's advice. There's always an element of time when transitioning from a 'normal' diet onto a lower carb one for the cravings to lessen, I remember years ago trying the Atkins diet and craving white bread on it's own! I guess after years of eating carbs as a staple macronutrient it was stupid to expect my body to transition easily.

All I can add really is to keep your food in as complete a form as possible before you eat it, so steak before mince and ham before spam. Having to make your body work harder to digest something does help the feeling of hunger though there is an element of carb craving you'll have to tough out for a while.
    Insulin in moderation

Journal

Thread Information