1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Default Is cod and haddock the protein source of choice for bodybuilders?

MP Senior

Cod and haddock seem to be about 85kcals, and around 20g of protein per 100g, and it doesnt emit the incredibly alarming amount of grease as my grillsteaks do, only problem is its so expensive
    Hardcore Gym Enthusiast

Yeah certainly a better choice than grill steaks. No differant using a cod fillet to a piece of chicken fillet. Salmon or mackeral is a better choice, but i would opt for cod/haddock over packet grillsteak.

Avoid smoked haddock, all those dyes and additonal sodium!
    "To understand you have to participate and reach your own conclusion!"
    Save with MP64899
    MP Senior

salmon seems to have more kcals

its like 200kcals for 20g protein, whereas cod and haddock is around 100kcals for 20g
    Hardcore Gym Enthusiast

Depends what your goals are fella, you get the good fats in salmon which is good for health and joint protection.

Whilst cod and haddock are low in fat, unless your on a diet to loose weight there is no need to choose this over salmon or mackeral. If you want to add muscle mass, the main objective is to add more calories to one's diet. Consuming good fats from salmon olive oil will yield more calories meaning less time eating.
    "To understand you have to participate and reach your own conclusion!"
    Save with MP64899
    Techno Gandhi

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Bakez View Post
    salmon seems to have more kcals

its like 200kcals for 20g protein, whereas cod and haddock is around 100kcals for 20g

Salmon contains fat; cod doesn't.

I'd go for the salmon given the choice
    Use this code for a 5% discount on your 1st order:

MP13370

Blog Entries
    yeah, but its not just protein that is important. Salmon has a lot of omega 3 fatty acids in it.

MP225 for 5% off your first order made from myprotein.

My training journal for the BPC British Powerlifting championships isHERE

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

James Copping is a Super Moderator.
    MP Veteran

White fish is pretty damn good in all honesty.

Pollack is a good choice because it is significantly higher in omega 3 than cod or haddock (but not as nice tasting imo!)
    It's got 80mg per 100g or something like that.

Obviously salmon contains a lot more being a oily fish.

White fish keep their oil in their livers (that's where cod liver oil comes from) oily fish keep it in their bodies. (mackerel, salmon, tuna etc) fish need oil in their bodies as both energy storage and to keep them neutrally bouyant!
    High Fat Diet Sucks

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

Ripped Barbarian is a Supplements & Training and Diet Moderator.
    MP Senior

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Ripped Barbarian View Post
    White fish is pretty damn good in all honesty.

Pollack is a good choice because it is significantly higher in omega 3 than cod or haddock (but not as nice tasting imo!)
    It's got 80mg per 100g or something like that.

Obviously salmon contains a lot more being a oily fish.

White fish keep their oil in their livers (that's where cod liver oil comes from) oily fish keep it in their bodies. (mackerel, salmon, tuna etc) fish need oil in their bodies as both energy storage and to keep them neutrally bouyant!
    so the ideal situation would be to eat cod and take a cod liver oil tablet each day
    MP Veteran

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Bakez View Post
    so the ideal situation would be to eat cod and take a cod liver oil tablet each day
    Or just eat a mix of fish and seafood!

I tend to have:

-Pollack (alaskan)
    -Salmon (pacific)
    -Mussels (chilean)
    -Herring (atlantic)
    -Prawns (greenland)
    There's no need to go 'exotic' but it can add some variety! ....i really enjoy squid and coctopus.
    Provides a good mix of nutrients and i take a bit of cod liver oil.
    High Fat Diet Sucks

Ripped Barbarian is a Supplements & Training and Diet Moderator.

The seafood mixes you can get in the freezer sections in most supermarkets give a good mix of mollusck and crustacea if you're looking for variety.

As RB says, pollack is good - its clean and cheap and nutritious, but its too much of a 'light' meat for me to find satisfying personally - i'm hungry again about an hour after eating it. I find 'heavier' darker fattier fish more satisfying - my current favourite is rainbow trout which is quite clean and cheap (cleaner than farmed salmon and often about the same price), has a decent amount of EPA and DHA, as well as unique antioxidants like astaxanthin.
    MP Code MP2931 for 5% off first order - and make daddy some money ...

I dont need to sell my soul, he's already in me
    Stone Roses - "I Wanna Be Adored"

hailtotheking is a Global Moderator.

Thread Information