1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Default ABs Diet and Calorie Intake

** Junior

Hope you guys can give me some advice and guidance, as I'm both scared I'm eating too much and scared I'm not eating enough!

I've been following the Abs diet now for about seven weeks and been seeing consistant results of losing an average of 2lbs a week. I've been keeping track of my calorie intake and been notching up around 1900-2000 calories a day. I'm making sure I'm properly splitting my protein/carb/fat intake and eating clean 99% of the time (Cheat meals and all that).

I'm 25, 6'1" and currently 197lbs and want to get down to 180-185ish before concentrating on bulking up. Does around 2000 sound like the right intake for me? For the last week though I've been worried that I'm not eating enough, so upped my average to 2200 for the last week but I feel like such a pig trying to get those more calories over the course of 6 meals a day, I'm constantly feel full now and worried that I could be eating too much.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated
    MP 'Expert'

Blog Entries
    Its a very individual thing, the number of calories you can take in per day and lost fat.

With you having dieted for 7 weeks on as low as 1900kcals it is hard to say how much your metabolism would have slowed. At 180lbs I start dieting on 2800-3000kcals on training days.....

So in a sense you are taking in very few calories and under 2000kcals/day is very low so one might suggest you up it to 2200kcals but then you might stop losing.

I would say to u it to 2200kcals and see what happens over the course of a week. If you manage to lose 1lb then stay with it if that has become your maintenance then its up to you what you do next either add in more training days, increase cardio levels or decrease kcals.

HTH
    5% OFF your first order & Endless FREE advice - just use the code MP4156 when you order
    Click here for details of my Nutrition Mentorship | DUBLIN Conference 2013
    Follow me on Facebook and Twitter for nutrition updates
    ** Junior

Thanks for the info. 1900 is quite low I know but just to add-in once a week I try and have a "high" calorie day of about 2700+, this is normally the day I have my cheat meal in the hope it would keep my metabolism from slowing down. I haven't done any daily calorie cycling or anything.

2800-3000 seems like such a lot to me now, I am sure thats how much I was eating to get me into the bad state I was in before I started losing weight. I'll continue on 2200 for a week and see how I get on though!

I train 5 times a week. I'm doing 3 days (mon/wed/fri) of weight training in a circuit style which lasts about 55 minutes and 2 days of interval based cardio for 35 mins. I really try and push myself as hard as I can whenever I'm in the gym, so I certainly don't slack at all when I'm there.

Thanks for the help.
    Qualified Gym Instructor

don't forget though, is the weight you are losing is it muscle or fat??

there's no point in reaching a set weight to find your muscle has decreased.
    Quote Quote
    When you eat the foods your body is made for (Paleo foods) in a framework that your body is made for (feast-fast, such as IF), it all works beautifully.
    MP573 for 5% discount off all products!!
    ** Junior

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Gareth83
    don't forget though, is the weight you are losing is it muscle or fat??
    Is there any way of being sure that what I'm losing is really fat and not muscle? From looking in the mirror and the way my trousers fit, I've certainly lost a lot of size round my waist, chest and face and there seems to be more size and definition around my chest and arms.
    Resurrected
    Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Hates_
    Is there any way of being sure that what I'm losing is really fat and not muscle? From looking in the mirror and the way my trousers fit, I've certainly lost a lot of size round my waist, chest and face and there seems to be more size and definition around my chest and arms.
    Its a balancing game. You will lose some muscle whilst dieting to lose fat. Impossible not to.

My advice would be to not get hung up on whether your losing fat or muscle but to use the mirror as your guide

Thread Information