1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Grass fed meat from Sainsburys/Tescos/ other supermarkets

Does anyone know if any meat from supermarkets is from grass fed animals?

On the back they say "Quality standard" etc.. but that means nothing in this modern world. Ive checked their websites and sent emails but to no avail yet...

I might have to go to an external supplier. Would just be handier if they sold grass fed meat.

If anyone does eat only grass fed meat then send me some of your best suppliers lists etc...
    Useful Links:
    Ohhh fudge...

The beef escalopes I get from Sainsbury's says it's from grass fed cows. I'm sure NU has posted before that we needn't worry about the whole grain v's grass fed debate, most of our lot is grass fed!

I searched for topics about this but the search function on this site is awful! It took me to the egg challenge thread!

Its not so much just the idea of grass fed cows its getting rid of all the other external chemicals they use on the cows in the process.

They are fed genetically modified grains or grains filled with microtoxins (Didnt realise Nu posted about this)

and they are few other weird things.
    Cement dust
    Parts of other cows
    Plastic chips

These are stored in fat which is already filled with growth hormones, steroids, antibiotics etc...

All this then becomes yours...

Cows have 4 stomachs for a reason. If they arent fed grass the the acidity of the stomachs gets greater. This mean e coli can grow.

I bought up this thread as i recently tried some grass fed steaks. Hole crap they were delicious! They were literally put in the oven for a few minutes and it was truly delicious! I wouldnt even dare do that with the "other" meat.

Theres also the conditions the cows are kept under etc...

I dont really have a problem with the whole slaughter thing. If i went into the forest and met a bear, he wouldnt care about tearing me limb from limb. Thats life
    Useful Links:
    ATZ
    Banned

Yep, most uk cattle are grass / silage fed, some grain feed is used but not enough to make a large difference. Anyone telling you otherwise is lying and or trying to make a quick buck from the "grass fed" mania in the US.

Look for a locally produced and butchered steak, preferably welsh black which just replaced Aberdeen angus as the best steak you can get.
    ATZ
    Banned

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by MJ.23 View Post
    I searched for topics about this but the search function on this site is awful! It took me to the egg challenge thread!

Its not so much just the idea of grass fed cows its getting rid of all the other external chemicals they use on the cows in the process.

They are fed genetically modified grains or grains filled with microtoxins (Didnt realise Nu posted about this)

and they are few other weird things.
    Cement dust
    Parts of other cows
    Plastic chips

These are stored in fat which is already filled with growth hormones, steroids, antibiotics etc...

All this then becomes yours...

Cows have 4 stomachs for a reason. If they arent fed grass the the acidity of the stomachs gets greater. This mean e coli can grow.

I bought up this thread as i recently tried some grass fed steaks. Hole crap they were delicious! They were literally put in the oven for a few minutes and it was truly delicious! I wouldnt even dare do that with the "other" meat.

Theres also the conditions the cows are kept under etc...

I dont really have a problem with the whole slaughter thing. If i went into the forest and met a bear, he wouldnt care about tearing me limb from limb. Thats life
    Load of rubbish mate. No animal derived products are fed to cows after the BSE scare of the 90's, the animal by-products regulations see to that. Most cow feed is grain based yes, but in the UK the main feed source is grass or fermented grass (silage).

I've grown up around farms, and now inspect them with work. Trust me on this.

Edit- also out cattle don't get hammered with growth hormones or loads of antibiotics like US feedlot cows, our beef industry is worlds apart.

I was reading a lot of stuff about this and journals and articles and studies and i assumed it was most likely similar in our own country.

Im glad its not The state in america is disturbing.
    Useful Links:
    ATZ
    Banned

Best read I've had on the food industry in the US is "Fast food nation". A little dry to start but full of startling facts about beef production etc.
    It's Portugese for Eat.

I forget who but there was an MP who wanted to introduce the US style feedlot system into the UK. Fortunately there wasn't much support or else we'd be taking all these US based grass fed beef articles a lot more seriously.
    Insulin in moderation

Journal
    Ohhh fudge...

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by ATZ View Post
    Yep, most uk cattle are grass / silage fed, some grain feed is used but not enough to make a large difference. Anyone telling you otherwise is lying and or trying to make a quick buck from the "grass fed" mania in the US.

Look for a locally produced and butchered steak, preferably welsh black which just replaced Aberdeen angus as the best steak you can get.
    Really duw duw!
    ATZ
    Banned

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by coma View Post
    I forget who but there was an MP who wanted to introduce the US style feedlot system into the UK. Fortunately there wasn't much support or else we'd be taking all these US based grass fed beef articles a lot more seriously.
    Couldn't see it ever catching on here, don't think we have the space or the clmate for it.

Thread Information