1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Default Sore/Tender Gums > Diet Related

My 20lb quest!

Well, I'm pretty sure this is the right place to post, as this must be diet related.
    I know, ideally I need to see a dentist but I am yet to locate one.

Anyway, this is a very recent thing, 3-4 weeks. Been having very sore gums, mainly my molar teeth, the one's further back into the mouth, the gums have been really tender and painful. Bleeding when brushing etc. So I kind of wanted any input on what might cause this, taking into consideration the recent changes in my diet etc.

1 - I've recently moved down south, where the water is hard, limey? I've been drinking the tap water through a filter.
    2 - Added more starch to the diet. Been attempting to bulk up, so have added some oats daily, also some honey to my frozen berries and yogurt.
    3 - Workout days I eat a fair bit of cereal, lately it's been corn flakes, special K, and crunchy nut. Also I eat scotch pancakes too.
    4 - Drink a fair bit of coffee - Mostly decaff.
    5 - In my oats I add some low calorie sucralose based sweetner.

So what do people think it is. The starch and sugar? Should I just brush after eating?
    Last edited by motokouk; 16-06-2010 at 01:46 PM.
    Your MP Referers code is: MP56743 Use it and abuse it!

Follow My Progress To 20lbs Of Lean Muscle
    Motoko's Journal

I dont know tooo much about gums and teeth but a friend of mine had these symptons and went to the dentist and was diagnosed with gingivitis.

It could be a sign of gum disease. I really urge you to go see a dentist.
    Useful Links:
    Eccentrics Anonymous

Sugars of most sorts feed pathogenic bacteria. I'd recommend being a little more moderate with your intake of carbs. More importantly take a lot of Vitamin C (at least 5g spaced out across the day). That should help a lot.

Musefan would probably be the best person to give advice on this, seeing as he recently qualified as a dentist.
    MP Code MP2931 for 5% off first order - and make daddy some money ...

I dont need to sell my soul, he's already in me
    Stone Roses - "I Wanna Be Adored"

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

hailtotheking is a Global Moderator.
    Powered by noodles

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by motokouk View Post
    Well, I'm pretty sure this is the right place to post, as this must be diet related.
    I know, ideally I need to see a dentist but I am yet to locate one.

Anyway, this is a very recent thing, 3-4 weeks. Been having very sore gums, mainly my molar teeth, the one's further back into the mouth, the gums have been really tender and painful. Bleeding when brushing etc. So I kind of wanted any input on what might cause this, taking into consideration the recent changes in my diet etc.

1 - I've recently moved down south, where the water is hard, limey? I've been drinking the tap water through a filter.
    2 - Added more starch to the diet. Been attempting to bulk up, so have added some oats daily, also some honey to my frozen berries and yogurt.
    3 - Workout days I eat a fair bit of cereal, lately it's been corn flakes, special K, and crunchy nut. Also I eat scotch pancakes too.
    4 - Drink a fair bit of coffee - Mostly decaff.
    5 - In my oats I add some low calorie sucralose based sweetner.

So what do people think it is. The starch and sugar? Should I just brush after eating?
    Hey motokouk,

Bleeding on brushing is probably gingivitis (gum inflammation) which is reversible by improved oral hygiene. It can also be due to periodontal disease (destruction to surrounding tooth tissues) which is not reversible but it can be halted.

From the history I don't think the tooth is involved. Is the tooth tender to touch or certain foods? Is there any pain keeping you awake at night? Is there a bad taste in your mouth?

Check my thread for oral hygiene advice including diet, cleaning. The best thing is to see a dentist but if you want a rough diagnosis I can try!

If you give me the history of the complaint and:
    S - site,
    O - onset (gradual/sudden)
    C - character
    R - radiation (where the pain radiates to)
    A - associations (other symptoms)
    T - timing/duration
    E - exacerbating and alleviating factors, S - severity (rate the pain on a scale of 1-10)

Also I can do a diet anaylsis too if you like. Give me the times of your oral hygiene and times of your eating habits for 1/2 weekdays and 1 weekend.

5% discount code: MP12251
    My training log:Click
    Dental advice thread:Click
    Funny/Cool Videos Thread:Click
    My 20lb quest!

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by musefan View Post
    Hey motokouk,

Bleeding on brushing is probably gingivitis (gum inflammation) which is reversible by improved oral hygiene. It can also be due to periodontal disease (destruction to surrounding tooth tissues) which is not reversible but it can be halted.

From the history I don't think the tooth is involved. Is the tooth tender to touch or certain foods? Is there any pain keeping you awake at night? Is there a bad taste in your mouth?

Check my thread for oral hygiene advice including diet, cleaning. The best thing is to see a dentist but if you want a rough diagnosis I can try!

If you give me the history of the complaint and:
    S - site,
    O - onset (gradual/sudden)
    C - character
    R - radiation (where the pain radiates to)
    A - associations (other symptoms)
    T - timing/duration
    E - exacerbating and alleviating factors, S - severity (rate the pain on a scale of 1-10)

Also I can do a diet anaylsis too if you like. Give me the times of your oral hygiene and times of your eating habits for 1/2 weekdays and 1 weekend.

Wow, bit more than I expected!

History - Erm hard to say, it's come on very recently, I could probably pin it to around the 27th May, when I moved down to my new home. Has been off and on since then. Sometimes I feel asthough it comes back when my toothbrush runs out of charge, and teeth don't get as good a clean as if it were fully charged. Since moving down, haven't been able to find the charger so been doing it manually with the brush.

S - Around 1st and 2nd molar on each side, top and bottom. Sometimes it's more painful on one side, right now the lower right side is more prominent.
    O - Think it was quite sudden, just turned up. Had a very stressful move, was very under the weather.
    C - Not too sure what you mean - Sharp, stinging
    R - The pain goes further up into the gums, or down on the lower set
    A - None that I know of
    T - More obvious when eating, brushing
    E - Eating and brushing, severity when eating 4, when brushing 6.5

Diet - I eat twice a day typically, maybe 3 times.
    12pm meal 1
    7pm meal 2
    Sometimes meal 2 might go on until late at night, I'll just pick at things until my calories are tallied up :-)

Brushing - Due to being self employed I've really let slip, sometimes I won't brush till noon, just before my first meal. I don't brush at night :-( I do brush for a long time when I have my brush charged. I have upped my frequency lately due to the pain.
    Your MP Referers code is: MP56743 Use it and abuse it!

Follow My Progress To 20lbs Of Lean Muscle
    Motoko's Journal