1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Default Non starchy carbs

MP Veteran

Just looking to collate a list of non starchy carbs to replace my starches on rest days with, in the past I've had trouble hitting my desired 150g carb intake without the use of starches, so I throw the question out there in case I've overlooked or missed a certain foodstuff that could prove valuable.

Ta
    MP Veteran

Blog Entries
    Since carbohydrates come in one of two basic forms - sugars or starches, simple or complex - it seems the only sources of 'non-starchy carbs' would be sugars, or foods that contain sugars, like fruits and vegetables. Starches are just lots of sugar molecules linked together in a matrix.
    Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

NU_nutrition_TS is a Super Moderator.
    MP Veteran

Yes, I realise this, thanks for the lowdown NU

Just looking at getting a good few examples of what others use, I personally have - nuts, yogurt/cottage cheese, leafy greens (spinach and broccoli), berries, beets, tomatoes, mushrooms and the odd apple.
    ATZ
    Banned

Fruit and veg (non starchy) essentially.

Why are you avoiding starch on your off days? So long as you're not going wildy over I don't see the difference, glucose is glucose.
    MP Veteran

Cheers A.

Just read a few things of recent, to be honest I was a bit mystified too as I share the same simplification of 'glucose is glucose'.
    MP Veteran

Blog Entries
    Why not head over to nutritiondata.com and use their search tool to find foods highest in a particular nutrient of your choice and/or lowest? Here is a quick search I did that lists foods (by category) highest in sugar and lowest in starch:
    Foods highest in Sugars, and lowest in Starch

But, as already mentioned, there is not much difference when it comes to the final result - it will all end up as glucose/fructose/galactose in the end.
    Last edited by NU_nutrition_TS; 13-08-2010 at 11:16 AM.
    Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

MP Veteran

Cheers again NU, I did use ND site before for a search, didn't realise you could specify a search in such detail.
    MP Veteran

Blog Entries
    Yes, it's a very handy tool if you want to narrow down your search to foods with a relatively specific nutrient ratio. For anyone interested, this is the direct link to the search page:
    Find foods by nutrient - NutritionData.com

Thread Information