1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oats So Simple

1. Default Oats So Simple

MP Senior

I've swapped my x2 shredded wheat breakfast with milk and a dash of honey, for x2 packets of Oats So Simple apple and blueberry.

It certainly keeps me fuller longer as i'm having double the serving (where i'd find x4 shredded wheat a bit of a chore)

Are they any good or an unhealthy sugar loaded fest?
    Over 9000!

Not the worst thing in the world, but why not just buy plain oats and some berries/honey for flavouring? Cheaper and healthier IMO.
    MP316728 for 5% off your next order!!!

Moderation leads to mediocrity

Id say just buy a big bag of oats. Its cheaper and less sugar. Those little packets made me lol. I had to literally have 5-6 of them for a usual portion size. I dont get how anyone can just use 1!
    Useful Links:
    MP Senior

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by MJ.23 View Post
    Id say just buy a big bag of oats. Its cheaper and less sugar. Those little packets made me lol. I had to literally have 5-6 of them for a usual portion size. I dont get how anyone can just use 1!
    my 2 year old can eat one but she spills the milk when measuring it into the packet

to much added sugar for my liking tbh. simple oats and honey and any other nice additions like seeds, nuts and berries. jobs a good'un
    "Take your control back. You are the only one holding you back from achieving greatness. Fall. Relish in the fact you had the heart to push yourself at an endeavor hard enough to reach the point of failing. For in failure greatness is born." - Phil Stevens
    MP Veteran

Original oats so simple are fine but yeah other flavours have too much added sugar, wee bit of honey in the original sorted!

One packet does me fine, I can even fill the milk too!
    "Breakdown the man, become the monster!"
    Use my code MP142059 and get 5% off...don't say I'm not good to you

My Log My Pictures
    MP L337

If you are trying to avoid the sugar in them, why buy normal oats and douse them in honey? Theres no difference between honey and table sugar. I used to use xylitol for my oats and it worked perfectly.
    Using this code with your first order will make you a ripped machine. Use with the up most of care!
    MP2484
    *may or may not make you a ripped machine...infact it most certainly wont.

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

sendos is a Supplements & Training and Diet Moderator.
    Qualified Gym Instructor

Quote Quote
    Many health writers make the topic of sugar so complicated that nobody can understand it. It's very simple. Sugar is sugar is sugar. Your body treats the sugar in an apple the same way that it treats all other sources of sugar. The difference is that an apple also contains fiber that slows the rise of blood sugar after you eat it.

Some people believe that honey is more healthful than sugar. They tell us that honey is a quicker source of energy and a richer source of minerals, and is less fattening. All of these clams are nonsensical. As far as your body is concerned, there is no difference between honey and table sugar. Honey contains two simple sugars called glucose and fructose. Table sugar has the same two sugars, only they are bound together to form a double sugar called sucrose. In your body, they end up in exactly the same way. Once sucrose, the double sugar, reaches your intestine, it is broken down into the single sugars glucose and fructose.

Honey and table sugar are processed in the same way by your body, and honey cannot be a quicker source of energy. An advertisement for honey claims that "ounce for ounce, honey has fewer calories than refined sugar." This is true but deceptive because honey contains water which has no calories and refined sugar does not. A tablespoon of table sugar has 64 calories while a tablespoon of honey contains water so that it has only 46,but they are both equally fattening. You add sweeteners by taste, not by careful measurement, and you will use the same number of calories to obtain the same sweetness using either sugar or honey.

It's ridiculous to claim that honey is an excellent source of minerals such as iron and calcium, while sugar is not. To meet your needs for iron, you would have to take in 10 cups of honey a day, and for calcium, you would have to take in 40 cups.

By the same reasoning, your body handles white granulated table sugar in the same way that it processes brown sugar, turbinado sugar, maple syrup, fructose, and all other sugars. Brown sugar is slightly less refined than white sugar, but the difference has no nutritional significance. It makes no difference to your body whether extracted sugar comes from beets, sugar cane, honey, apples or grapes, or maple trees. If you are a diabetic, or store fat primarily in your belly, have high blood triglyceride levels, have a very low blood levels of the good HDL cholesterol that prevents heart attacks, or are trying to lose weight, you should avoid all refined carbohydrates, and that includes all sugars that have been extracted from their source.
    HONEY MORE HEALTHFUL THAN SUGAR?

I'd still personally rather honey than sugar as although virtually identical I prefer the taste.

Lately I've been having my oats as follows:

oats, yogurt, water left to soak overnight
    then boil up water in the morning with 1/2 teaspoon hand picked himalayan salt by virgins under the moonlight (maybe just unrefined sea salt), add the soaked oats and simmer
    add cinnamon and raisins, or butter and honey, or banana whatever takes my fancy really.

good traditional way to have oats according to the WPA
    Quote Quote
    When you eat the foods your body is made for (Paleo foods) in a framework that your body is made for (feast-fast, such as IF), it all works beautifully.
    MP573 for 5% discount off all products!!
    MP L337

Why soak the oats with the yogurt gareth?
    Using this code with your first order will make you a ripped machine. Use with the up most of care!
    MP2484
    *may or may not make you a ripped machine...infact it most certainly wont.

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

sendos is a Supplements & Training and Diet Moderator.
    Qualified Gym Instructor

As I am not a carbophobe as some people may suggest, I actually eat carbs but where possible limit the damage they may cause.

Oats and other grains such as rye, barley and especially wheat contain gluten. By soaking or fermenting, gluten and other difficult to digest proteins are partially broken down making them readily available for absorption.

By soaking you also neutralise the phytic acid which if not treated will combine with various minerals such as calcium, magnesium, zinc leading to deficiencies. One of the reasons when not consuming a traditionally prepared carb diet that you may require various mineral supplements. Or you could simply reduce intake of grains for instance and consume more vegetables etc, or prepare them in the correct way.

The enzymes within the yogurt (assuming you use a good quality probiotic yogurt) act as a catalyst to speed up the fermentation process
    Quote Quote
    When you eat the foods your body is made for (Paleo foods) in a framework that your body is made for (feast-fast, such as IF), it all works beautifully.
    MP573 for 5% discount off all products!!
    TRC
    Apex Predator

regular oats, small scoop of flavored whey to give it some flavor.

or just slice up a banana.
    "No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."

Thread Information