1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Sweet taste in mouth?

1. Default Sweet taste in mouth?

MP Senior

Hi all, I have recently been experiencing a really sweet taste in my mouth all the time. Anyone know what could cause this? is it ketosis because i am on low carbs but not mega low...? kind of tastes like sweeterner?

Any ideas??
    MP Veteran

Blog Entries
    Could possibly be ketones on the breath due to the low carb diet. Does it taste sweet in the sense of 'pear drops'?
    MiniHulk likes this.
    Banned

Sounds like a good prediction of what's happening to be honest, same thing happened to me...

... although, I would prefer some real pear drops. Thanks for breaking my diet NU.
    MP Senior

Yer that exact taste!!! Is it keto then?? My carbs are around 50g a day? Is there anyway to get rid of it?
    Last edited by short a**; 20-07-2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
    MP Veteran

It's odd, I never got this when I went keto... Does it always occur?
    "Forgive me Father for these gains I'm about to receive"
    Training Journal
    MP Veteran

Blog Entries
    Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by short a** View Post
    Yer that exact taste!!! Is it keto then?? My carbs are around 50g a day? Is there anyway to get rid of it?
    Yes - it sounds like ketones on the breath. There are three ketone bodies produced on a ketogenic diet: beta-Hydroxybutyrate, acetoacetic acid and acetone. You may have seen the last one as the main constituent of nail polish remover (if you have a wife/girlfriend/sister that uses it). This smells of pear drops and a related organic chemical is used to flavour pear drops. Other than brushing your teeth/gargling with mouthwash several times a day, I don't see how you will get rid of it as it is expelled on the breath. It may not be a permanent symptom - once you have been in ketosis for a while you will metabolise more of it for energy and expel less in urine and breath.

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Asauka View Post
    It's odd, I never got this when I went keto... Does it always occur?
    You can lose excess ketones in both breath and urine. Some people spill more in urine and don't notice any on their breath. I never really noticed this symptom either.

Most people, irrespective of diet, will have some degree of mild ketosis under certain everyday circumstances (during sleep/after heavy exercise) but this small amount of ketones are usually oxidised for energy.

Most people on very low carbohydrate diets, <50g/day, will usually experience ketosis to a high degree and initially - until the metabolic energy pathways are up-regulated sufficiently to make full use of them - a fair amount of these ketones may be expelled due to being 'excess to requirements'.
    Last edited by NU_nutrition_TS; 20-07-2011 at 11:42 PM.
    Banned

NU, while you're focusing on this thread and we're on the topic of keto, could you tell me if certain carbs kick you out of keto faster than others? For example... If I ate 15g of nuts in one sitting but kept the total daily amount of carbs under 30g a day... has that got the same effect as eating 15g of dextrose in one sitting? Will they both likely kick you out?

I know it's a dumb question, but I just wondered how them atkins bars say 1.5g net carbs and apparently keep you in ketosis, and yet they contain 18g of total carbs.
    MP Veteran

Blog Entries
    Depends on the nuts!

I don't know whether you can really look at dietary ketosis as an either 'on' or 'off' proposition any more than glucose metabolism or fat metabolism. We shift from utilising one energy substrate or another dependant on a number of factors (possibly not all of them under our direct control!). A couple of controllable factors that spring to mind are prevailing diet and intensity and duration of physical activity. I think everyone (even those on relatively high carb diets) will enter ketosis occasionally - even if only mildly and for short periods.

What we low carbers/ketogenic dieters are looking to achieve is maximising and optimising our use of fatty acids and ketones for the bulk of our daily cellular energy needs while hopefully reserving what glucose/glycogen we do have - from small amounts of dietary carbs and/or optimal gluconeogenesis - for those cells (and in those metabolic situations) that absolutely require it and nothing else. Therefore we expect there will be periods where we are utilising glucose for our cellular energy needs over either fats or ketones: we will not always be in a state of heavy dietary ketosis.

Having said all that, a 15g hit of glucose (as pure dextrose powder) is going to very rapidly quadruple your normal blood sugar level and the body is going to have to bring that level back down very quickly by oxidising it for energy, conversion and storage as liver/muscle glycogen or conversion and storage as fat. 15g of carbs as nuts, however, possibly won't spike your blood sugar so high or so quickly due to the fat content of the nuts, which may serve to slow down the digestion/absorption of the carbs in the gut. So, in the former situation, you may find ketosis (and fatty acid oxidation) taking a back seat more quickly and definitively than in the latter situation.

Either way - if it is all part and parcel of your daily 'low carb'/ketogenic carbohydrate 'allowance' - you are not going to interfere with the long-term goal associated with a low carb/ketogenic dietary protocol.
    Last edited by NU_nutrition_TS; 21-07-2011 at 07:36 PM.
    MiniHulk likes this.
    MP Veteran

MH - one word of advice. Don't sweat the small stuff mate. Life is full of big choices and even bigger decisions. How eating a handfull of nuts compares to a can of coke shouldn't even show up on the radar - trust me.

By tomorrow your body will have forgotten whichever crap choice you made - and so should your mind. Letting go of the mundane stuff frees up your mind to think about the big issues in life.

It also reduces your cortisol levels, helps you live longer and makes you a nicer person to be around - as if you needed any more encouragement! xx
    MiniHulk likes this.
    The Moderate Moderator

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

Wotan is a Super Moderator.
    Banned

Thanks for the precise reply NU and thanks for slapping me back on track Wotan... but I really don't think it is possible for me to be a nicer person to be around... That is one of my flaws, I am too kind lol.

Thread Information