1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Morrisons

1. Default Morrisons

MP Junior

This may come across as a completely bone question..

Morrisons hot cooked chicken.. bad? .... or very bad?

I sometimes come out of the gym after 8pm so nip to Morrisons for some dinner. Eating carbs that late is bad (so i'm told) so i've sometimes had a couple of cooked chicken breasts ... They're just trying to get rid of them at that point so they sell them for stupid prices... i got 3 for 65p the other week.

So question is, is it bad food? I'm not sure how they cook them if i'm honest??
    MP Veteran

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't worry about it at all. You could just as easily buy some crap-in-a-box full of sugar, refined starches, salt, trans fats and multiple E-numbers! I'm sure someone in the know could tell you all sorts of scary stories about supermarket cooked chicken but, compared to what's available in the central aisles, the chicken has got to be a healthier choice!
    Last edited by NU_nutrition_TS; 29-11-2011 at 10:39 AM.
    Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

I used to buy freshly cooked chicken from sainsburys. They seem a perfectly healthy choice imo. The only real issue (imo) is where they source the chicken from. At the counter they prepare them infront of you and pop them straight into the rotisserie. As Nu said, much better than what you can find in the aisles. The next best step would be a butchers.
    Useful Links:
    MP Veteran

A whole roast chicken is an awesome reward post workout, especially one with bbq sauce.
    My Beginners Guide -
    SpiderDans Beginners Guide
    My Discount Code - MP69768 - use it for some money off your first order
    MP227459

damn it now I'm hungry
    Squat, Eat & Sleep
    MP Ninja

Mmm I smash half a roast chicken for lunch every day, works out much cheaper than prepared meats and is definitely the healthier option!

As for youR comments about eating carbs after 8pm, that's completely wrong. In fact, the best time to get your carbs in is after your workout, and in fact several recent studies have found that eating carbs later at night actually promotes greater weight and fat loss than when eaten earlier in the day (Source).
    MP Junior

it's not the best source of "clean" protein about- as the rotisserie works by letting the fat drip from the rotating chickens above onto the chicken below and so on... and (ive heard) one rotisserie chicken can have almost a pint of liquid fat in it! you can tell this by the gross-ness of the bag it comes in.

however, if you're in a quick fix it's better to eat than not eat at all and it's definitely better to eat that than 99% of what else is in available in the supermarket.
    JDC
    Not a hero..

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    This may come across as a completely bone question..

Morrisons hot cooked chicken.. bad? .... or very bad?

I sometimes come out of the gym after 8pm so nip to Morrisons for some dinner. Eating carbs that late is bad (so i'm told) so i've sometimes had a couple of cooked chicken breasts ... They're just trying to get rid of them at that point so they sell them for stupid prices... i got 3 for 65p the other week.

So question is, is it bad food? I'm not sure how they cook them if i'm honest??
    Hell no. Bad food?! Sounds perfect to get in you after the gym.

I love buying cooked chicken when I'm in a pinch (not able to get my usual meals made and I'm out somewhere.)
    MP Junior

Morning.

As someone who is on a constant search for low cost high quality convenience proteins, a whole rotisserie chicken at 3-5 is a pretty good option. Whether it's added to a salad, full on meal or as a post gym fix.
    The nature of the cooking method means it's not stewing in its own fat, some will certainly baste it in the cooking process, but most will be drained away. We do need SOME fats in our diets remember.
    Having bought one the other day, the bag it was in contained very minimal clear juices and the chicken itself seemed particularly low fat compared to the one your mum makes in the oven on a Sunday.

Given that you will pay the same if not more for readily prepared cold chicken breasts, simply because people can't be bothered to carve one off a whole chicken, I think it's a pretty good option.

(my first post, go easy)
    MP Junior

I used to work part time on one of those counters and we used to get a lot of body builders buying a half or a whole chicken for lunch or dinner. The only thing that I would say is to be careful with eating the skin as it is sometimes coated in a sugar solution (dextrose where I used to work) as it makes the skin as shiny when cooked!

Thread Information