1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Full fat vs. Semi-Skimmed for bulking

1. Default Full fat vs. Semi-Skimmed for bulking

MP n00b

Just wondering which milk is best to include in my diet for bulking up....I was using whole milk but am going to increase the amount that I'm including in my diet (probably double) and although I am wanting to bulk up I don't want to increase BF by too much

So which is best.....
    ...Go big or go home...
    I'm skint so use this code and save us both some money MP267167
    ** Senior

Post-workout I'd go for full fat, shown to increase net protein balance more than lower fat milk.

Rest of the time then it's up to you. I prefer the taste of full fat so usually get gold top, but occasionally get skimmed if I want to spend calories elsewhere that particular day. Why not have the whole you're currently having and add the extra as (semi-)skimmed? You're allowed to mix and match you know
    banxy85 likes this.
    Meh!
    MP n00b

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
    You're allowed to mix and match you know
    lol
    ...Go big or go home...
    I'm skint so use this code and save us both some money MP267167
    MP Senior

The macros of semi are more aligned to what most people recommend for weight training.

I choose semi. Although I also love full fat with extra whey.

All I know is I got chubby when taking loads of full fat, strength gains were great, but most the weight was fat.
    banxy85 likes this.
    Use code MP97084 to get 5% off your first order!
    MP Veteran

Unhomogenized full fat milk all the way!
    "Breakdown the man, become the monster!"
    Use my code MP142059 and get 5% off...don't say I'm not good to you

My Log My Pictures
    MP Junior

Gomad
    Current Lifts
    Squat 92.5kg, Bench 1x60kg, OHP 5x42.5kg, Pendley Row 67.5kg, Deadlift 1x 140kg
    Body weight 210lbs
    MP Ninja

Gonad
    Bokers likes this.
    Jim Wendler quotes - "When I see a program that says three sets of eight reps? That's the stupidest f**king thing ever. If it doesn't have a specific percentage based on a specific max, it's useless. That's the hallmark of someone who doesn't understand basic programming." "Diet is simple eat 1.5 to 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Base your carbs on how fat or paranoid you are."
    MP Ninja

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Check1 View Post
    The macros of semi are more aligned to what most people recommend for weight training.

I choose semi. Although I also love full fat with extra whey.

All I know is I got chubby when taking loads of full fat, strength gains were great, but most the weight was fat.
    Full fat dairy has excellent fat mobilisation properties, the reason you got fat drinking whole milk is that you were simply taking in too many calories. Regardless of whether the milk was whole, semi or skimmed, if you'd have matched the calories, you'd have still got just as fat. What you didn't do was cut the calories from somewhere else to balance the extra calories in the whole milk. Simple, too many calories and you put on excess fat.

And I have no idea what you mean about the macros of semi being aligned for weight training.
    Fiji and rash797 like this.
    Jim Wendler quotes - "When I see a program that says three sets of eight reps? That's the stupidest f**king thing ever. If it doesn't have a specific percentage based on a specific max, it's useless. That's the hallmark of someone who doesn't understand basic programming." "Diet is simple eat 1.5 to 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Base your carbs on how fat or paranoid you are."
    MP Senior

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Check1 View Post
    Pretty sure this came from the theory that the best bulking macros are, 50 percent carbs, 35 percent protein and 15 percent fats....which is what semi skimmed milk is made up of.

A theory also known as a 'myth'!
    fussyjim, blackstone and chill9 like this.
    "Oh no! I woke up really big and muscly!!"
    - Said no one, ever, in the history of the world.
    Rodeo Star

ive never known anybody to get fat drinking milk, i like semi. not to fat but not watery like skim. if bulking up is your thing and your bodyfat is reasonably low then go for gold top.
    The Workers' Hunger Helps Them, Because Their Desire To Eat Makes Them Work.
    Patience Is Better Than Strength. Controlling Your Temper Is Better Than Capturing A City.
    Fools Quickly Show That They Are Upset, But The Wise Ignore Insults.

Thread Information