1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pigs liver.....

1. Default Pigs liver.....

MP Junior

Is pigs liver any good for a cheap protein source?.I've heard that eating it to often can be bad for you but 200 grams every other day looks like a great alternative to chicken/turkey.I never really hear people mentioning it in their diet plans so i was wondering if there is any hidden issues with including this in your diet.
    Serving Size 100 grams
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 129 Calories from Fat 29

% Daily Value*
    Total Fat 3.2g 5%
    Saturated Fat 1.2g 6%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 300mg 100%
    Sodium 85.7mg 4%
    Potassium 269mg 8%
    Total Carbohydrate 4.7g 2%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 20.1g 40%

Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 35%
    Calcium 1% Iron 40%
    Thiamin 20% Riboflavin 174%
    Vitamin B6 33% Vitamin B12 667%
    Niacin 80% Magnesium 5%
    Phosphorus 34% Iodine 2%
    Zinc 42% Copper 85%
    MP Veteran

I think you'll find that its not very popular due to its strongish taste. The same can be said for ox-liver too. Generally the stuff sold in butchers and the like is either chicken or lamb's liver. Everything else gets used in pate dishes, goes for mixtures in pies and stuff or gets turned into canned dog-food. The nutritional aspects of liver are very good. Its probably one of the best sources of bio-available iron going with the exception of black pudding possibly (which uses pig's blood).

Don't eat polar bear liver however, that one is pretty toxic due to the high level of vitamin A contained in it. Anywhere between two to four ounces can easily kill.
    The Moderate Moderator

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

Wotan is a Super Moderator.
    MP Junior

Thanks for the info Wotan. Not sure i'd be able to buy polar bear liver anywhere round here ; )
    Teetotal

Liver is very nutritious, I eat liver at least once a week if not more. I use it as a kind of natural multi-vitamin more than for a protein source.

Different animal livers have very different amounts of vitamins and minerals, there's actually an old thread on here somewhere that has a lot of info about liver if you search. Some are so rich in certain vitamins you need watch your intake, as Wotan pointed out the polar bear liver being a very extreme example of high Vit A content.
    MP5500 for 5% off first order!
    Training Journal - My Pic's
    Rodeo Star

who in the blue hell would want to eat pigs liver?!!!!! ewwwwwwwww
    The Workers' Hunger Helps Them, Because Their Desire To Eat Makes Them Work.
    Patience Is Better Than Strength. Controlling Your Temper Is Better Than Capturing A City.
    Fools Quickly Show That They Are Upset, But The Wise Ignore Insults.
    MP Veteran

I would bet my entire pension on the fact that you would if you were hungry enough. And enjoy it!!
    The Moderate Moderator

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

MP Junior

Thanks Bison.I try to eat it every other day and at 65p for 580grams its cut the food bill down nicely.
    MP Veteran

I don't know how Bison eats it but on the occasions I do I just dust it in flour and fry it, along with some bacon and mushrooms.
    The Moderate Moderator

Teetotal

I fry it with fresh garlic and chillies, lovely
    MP5500 for 5% off first order!
    Training Journal - My Pic's
    MP Member

Pigs liver tastes fowl ! Lamb liver on the other hand. Get a wok on the go. Oil n onion. 150g mince beef till brown. 125g chopped up lamb liver till brown. Chuck on some domlmio sauce n peas. Serve it on some rice. Boom!

Thread Information