1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Default Food combining - Fruit?

MP Junior

Although I tend to think food combining theories are a load of rubbish, I'm just wondering (hoping) if there's any way you can balance the the high GI of fruit by eating something with it? Something protein based maybe? Is it possible?

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Although I tend to think food combining theories are a load of rubbish, I'm just wondering (hoping) if there's any way you can balance the the high GI of fruit by eating something with it? Something protein based maybe? Is it possible?
    Do not concern yourself with the glycemic index. It is too variable of a scale to be of any use (imo). What is far more important is the total macronutrient breakdown as well as total calories for the day (tbh weekly calories will be more useful as the body tends not to run on such a short time scale as a day)

If the fruit fits into your diet; then all is good imo
    Useful Links:

You got it in one.

Today, for instance, I ate a large apple and strawberries - all coupled with 50g chocolate, 333ml milk with 40g whey, 225g yogurt, 4 eggs, 100g cheese, 300g beef and a shed loads of kimchi; I would think absorption would be quite slow on all of that.

I wouldn't overcomplicate things though, if you want to eat a piece of fruit on it's own, go for it, i hardly think it will effect you negatively.
    MyProtein Checkout Discount Code MP6672 .:. Training Log .:. First Max Muscle Plan Log (15th September '14)
    MP Senior

Think people have combined fruit with meals for centuries. Think of roast pork for example always tastes nice with apple sauce or sweet and sour chicken, cranberry sauce with turkey/beef steak, plantain goes well with some rice dishes there's a particular one i like thats traditionally made in Africa. There has to be some logic to it as what usually tastes nice actually benefits digestion as well. Pepper for example tastes well with steak and the bodybuilding supplement market are selling the extract of pepper to aid in the bio-availability of other vitamins and minerals.

Of course over the years farmers have interbred fruits etc to make them more sweeter so maybe the fruits we try and eat now wouldn't have the same benefits as what was traditionally eat but in moderation i couldn't see it as a bad thing and eating with a wholesome meal cause much of a GI increase. I don't know of a website that is actually trying to re-invent the wheel with this but as long as its not suggesting eating your carbs separately to your protein it can't be half bad.
    ONLY WITH THIS CODE 5% DISCOUNT ***MP150876***

Thread Information