1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Adi
  • 1 Post By munch

Thread: Hi, what percent of my diet should be carbs, fat, protein.

1. Default Hi, what percent of my diet should be carbs, fat, protein.

Adi
    MP Member

Hi there, I am currently using a app on my phone witch allows me to convert my daily intake to a pie chart. I am not really trying to bulk up or anything I just want to try and be as lean and muscular as possible maintaining the same weight, what percent ratio's should I be looking for. For carbs, fat, and protein? Thanks

Workout days ideally want to keep fats low, somewhere around 50g total. Rest days you want to keep carbs limited below 100g, again 50g if you can make it. Protein throughout should be around 1-1.2g per pound of your own body weight. Calories should be roughly body weight in pounds times 15 minus 250 on rest days, workout days the same figure, without the subtraction of 250, plus an extra 500 calories.

These are simplified figures to help recomp of your body.
    MyProtein Checkout Discount Code MP6672 .:. Training Log
    Adi
    MP Member

Thanks for your help m8, I was hoping someone would be able to tell me percentages tho. Ie pie chart style so on training days it would be say 40% carbs. 30% Fats 30% protein or what ever is best. Thanks

I don't feel that percentages are the best way, really.
    sh1
    MP Senior

James, what are the benefits of keeping fat low on workout days?

And I echo James' sentiments on this one; I don't think macros should be worked out by percentages.

The following link explains this well:
    Calculating Calorie & Macronutrient Needs - Bodybuilding.com Forums
    Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret

Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!
    Adi
    MP Member

Thanks guys, you have both really helped me out here, think I'll have to get the calculator out this weekend :-)
    sh1 likes this.
    MP Senior

1. Find out what cals you need e.g 2000
    2. 1 - 1.5g /lb of protein, so lets say you weigh 150lbs, so you take 150grams of protien, which is 150 *4 = 600 cals. SO now you know the protein percentage 600/2000
    3. On non-workout as James mentioned go high ft and low carb. If you do 100 grams of carbs that 100 * 4 = 400 cals of carbs so 400/2000 is your percentage
    5. That just leaves the fats, so fill the rest with fats i.e 200-600-400=1000 cals from fat = 1000/9 approx 100grams of fat, again you know the percentage
    6. On workout flip this model and stick 50 - 100 grams for fat and fill rest with carbs

ta da...and for my next trick I'll show you howto get a 6 pack whilst eating a kebab :-)

Dan
    rash797 likes this.

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by munch View Post
    1. Find out what cals you need e.g 2000
    2. 1 - 1.5g /lb of protein, so lets say you weigh 150lbs, so you take 150grams of protien, which is 150 *4 = 600 cals. SO now you know the protein percentage 600/2000
    3. On non-workout as James mentioned go high ft and low carb. If you do 100 grams of carbs that 100 * 4 = 400 cals of carbs so 400/2000 is your percentage
    5. That just leaves the fats, so fill the rest with fats i.e 200-600-400=1000 cals from fat = 1000/9 approx 100grams of fat, again you know the percentage
    6. On workout flip this model and stick 50 - 100 grams for fat and fill rest with carbs

ta da...and for my next trick I'll show you howto get a 6 pack whilst eating a kebab :-)

Dan
    i love how this has become pretty much gospel now, it IS a great baseline to start with, that's for sure... better than all the percentage based approaches and keeping nutrients/calories level on all days.
    MP Senior

This is what I tell anyone who asks me, and yes its a good baseline. I just tell them to cycle the carbs, since if you go for the 'low carb' approach, they auto switch to Atkins, or just drop carbs without replacing the cals. This way I just tell them to eat everything they want, just rotate, start and then tweak. Having said that even I am struggling with cal intake now, since I am low on non-workout, and getting hungry....

Thread Information