1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: difference between HFLC and atkins?

1. Default difference between HFLC and atkins?

MP Senior

so essentially isnt a high fat low carb diet styled like the atkins diets...which so many people bang on about being dangerous. i may be being stupid but someone told me when i mentioned my diet that im doing the atkins diet...then i looked it up and it does seem similar?
    When the boy was born, like all Spartans, he was inspected.
    MP Veteran

Atkins is high protein low carb
    Slightly different, excess protein puts strain on your kidneys

.::Twisted::.
    Back and Better than before......
    My Training Journal
    MP Veteran

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by simonh123 View Post
    so essentially isnt a high fat low carb diet styled like the atkins diets...which so many people bang on about being dangerous. i may be being stupid but someone told me when i mentioned my diet that im doing the atkins diet...then i looked it up and it does seem similar?
    Atkins has a two week induction period of practically zero carbs then slowly increases the amount over a period of a couple of months up to reintroducing breads, pastas etc.

High Fat Low carb would probably never reintroduce carbs to any significant amount
    My Beginners Guide -
    SpiderDans Beginners Guide
    My Discount Code - MP69768 - use it for some money off your first order
    MP Veteran

Although Atkins is HFLC, HFLC is not Atkins.
    Also, what reason have they cited for it being dangerous?
    Oh wait, it doesn't matter anyway since you arnt doing Atkins.
    MP Veteran

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Twisted View Post
    excess protein puts strain on your kidneys
    Does it? Only if you have existing kidney problems, shirley? I have these two links bookmarked regarding the whole protein/kidney thing:

Mark's Daily Apple
    The Fitness Black Book
    MP Veteran

Yes, most critics of Atkins (all discretely sponsored by the Potato Marketing Board I should think*) quite deliberately inverted the relationship between protein and some kidney conditions. Atkins doesn't cause kidney problems, but if you have particular kidney conditions your protein levels should stay sufficient for health but not exceed it.

*This was truer in America than most people think.
    The Moderate Moderator

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

Wotan is a Super Moderator.
    MP Senior

cheers for the clarification. i didnt think it was but i read about it being low carb. a few people have said it now...telling me im stupid and ill end up ill....i feel like just telling them to **** off
    cb83 likes this.
    When the boy was born, like all Spartans, he was inspected.
    MP Senior

Possibly the same people who will go to KFC coz its chickan and get chips coz its potato. With corn coz that makes it healthy init. But you low carbing will make you ill... hahaha
    Dont listen to anyone is the best lesson. Other than those who you respect be it in training nutrition life etc etc
    Banned

It's so annoying - I spent several months trying to explain the benefits of carb restriction to my parents and pals (Dad with high blood pressure, big belly, likely type II, lethargic....you know the story) and the idea that high fat is actually beneficial and they simply won't have it. "my cereal is healthy....it has no fat" etc etc. I've left them a copy of Briffa's book and said read it should you choose....hopefully they will before it gets too late.
    MP Veteran

Ignore them, I don't talk about my eating habits unless people ask with interest.
    Or just ask people why, see if they can follow their view point through. I know the reasons why I eat the way I do, but I've yet to speak to someone who can tell me why I shouldn't.

Thread Information