1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Saturated fat in dark chocolate

1. Default Saturated fat in dark chocolate

MP Junior

I am currently on a high fat/low carb paelo type diet.

I figured after some research that good quality dark chocolate would be a good addition to my diet in moderation.

After reading the nutritional values of it I was put off by the high amount of saturated fat it contained:

16g per 50g = 32%

Is saturated fat a problem in a HF/LC diet?

Thanks

Hi lemonchris,

I too am on LCHF, and no, I cant say sat fats are the enemy at all. The common thought that sat fats are bad for you is ********, if you are fat adapted then your body is burning fats for fuel and it shouldn't matter.

Im sure NU or James can go into more detail around the Polyunsaturated and monounsaturated finer points but I believe the general goal is to reduce your PUFA (Polyunsaturated fatty acids) if anything, but Im not really an expert here so I will leave it to those guys to explain.

In my experience, Ive not paid too much attention to sat fat content on my LCHF diet, Ive just been eating lots of steak, eggs, green veg, assorted cheeses, salmon, occasional chicken, bacon, and plenty of water and I have already shifted a fair bit of bodyfat without worrying about sat fats.
    MP Referral Code - MP517503
    My Training Journal The Beginners Must Read Guide to Dieting
    Current PBs: Squat - 172.5 kgs, Bench Press - 125kgs, OHP - 70kgs, BOR - 105kgs, Deadlift - 205kgs
    Paleo-ish

saturated fat for the win.
    MP Veteran

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by lemonchris View Post
    Is saturated fat a problem in a HF/LC diet?
    Quite the opposite, it is not a problem and I believe it is the bodies preferred fuel source in the above conditions (with research backing this, I believe on such a diet subjects had higher saturated fat in the diet but lower sat fat in the blood (compared to a high carb diet) due to the body using it for fuel).
    Even if someone believed the 'saturated fat is bad' concept it would not be a problem here in the context of the small amount ingested and the other benefits dark chocolate brings.
    The only thing that sometimes concerns me with dark chocolate is soya.
    MP Junior

Thank you all for your detailed responses!

I'll continue noming on dark chocolate

Mowens, when you said "preferred fuel source in the above conditions" does that mean eating HFLC diet will change the way your body processes food? If so, how long do you have to be on this type of diet before that happens.

Also, will eating small amounts of carbs disrupt this process?

Thanks
    MP Veteran

LCHF, if set up correctly, will cause a shift in how the body fuels itself.
    This is typically called becoming 'fat-adapted' and takes from a few days to a few weeks.
    A small amount of carbs should not disrupt it, but to me a small amount of carbs is less than 60g for the day.
    The top post on this thread explains it a little bit more if you are interested.

LCHF diet & anaerobic performance
    Paleo-ish

HFLC switches the bodes fuel from carbohydrate to fats...whether its fat ingested, or bodyfat.

the switch can occur in 2-10days, not the same for everyone really... carbs will always be utilised for fuel by the body first before fats.

there are parts of the body that absolutely require glucose to function, red bloodcells and parts of the brain, in the absence of carbs, the body makes glucose from the other substrates to compensate this. (from protein) a process calles gluconeogenesis

Gluconeogenesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    MP Junior

Thanks Mowens, lots of helpful information there.

I've been running a LCHF diet for about a week now and I can start to see body fat% falling but I feel a bit of a void left in my diet from not eating carbs (probably natural as ive been eating them for the past 22 years)

I hope if I stick with it for a few more weeks the craving will ease... I've also thought about slowly decreasing my carb intake so that my body gradually gets used to a change which I consider massive.

My next question would be, I if am to eat some carbs on a LCHF diet would these be better to eat pre or post WO? Also should I stick to low GI carbs like sweet potato etc?

Thanks
    MP Senior

Sweet potato post work out would be ok.
    Paleo-ish

i always take carbs PWO. the carbs in storage fuel the next days activity no real need to front load imo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information