1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mowens800

Thread: Keto Diet, Protein vs fat.

1. Question Keto Diet, Protein vs fat.

MP Junior

OK, so I've been on a keto diet for about 3 weeks, also I have been fasting between 9pm and 1pm for about 6 months, I can't say I've really seen any negative effects associated with it, assuming I did enter Keto.
    I read this guide..

Joseph Arcita Guide-to-ketosis

Quote Quote
    The ideal macro-nutrient ketogenic ratio is this: 65% of your calories should come from fats 30% of your calories should come from proteins 5% of your calories should come from fibrous carbohydrates
    Which links to this calculator...

Calculate Your Ideal Nutrient Intake for Weight Loss or Maintenance

Quote Quote
    Healthy Nutrient Levels for Your Diet

Your Height: 73 inches
    Your Current Weight: 173 lb

Your Age: 32

Your Gender: Male

Your Activity Level: Heavy Exercise 3 - 5 Times a Week

Your Body Fat Percentage is: 16 %

Your Lean Body Mass is 145 lb

Your Calculated Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) using the Katch-McArdle formula: 1,795 calories per day

Activity Factor Used to Compute Activity Calories from BMR: 1.55

TO MAINTAIN YOUR CURRENT WEIGHT:
    To maintain your body weight eat 2,782 calories.

You have decided to eat 32 grams of carbohydrate a day. This is 4.6% of your total caloric intake.

Required Protein Intake: 112 grams of high quality protein.

This would be supplied by: 18.7 ounces or 523 grams of a high quality protein food like meat, fish, eggs, or cheese, which typically contain 6 grams of protein.

These recommendations are based on the fact that you are eating a ketogenic diet with an intake of 32 grams of carbohydrate a day.

Maximum Fat Intake: 245 grams.

For every 1 gram of protein you eat over 112 grams of protein, reduce your fat intake by .5 grams to stay within calorie limits.

Note: Calculated calories for nutrients will not match total calorie recommendation due to rounding during calculations.

TO LOSE .5 lb PER WEEK:
    To lose .5 lb a week safely decrease your daily intake to 2,532 calories.

You have decided to eat 32 grams of carbohydrate a day. This is 5.1% of your total diet caloric intake.

Required Protein Intake: 112 grams of high quality protein.

This would be supplied by: 18.7 ounces or 523 grams of a high quality protein food like meat, fish, eggs, or cheese, which typically contain 6 grams of protein.

These recommendations are based on the fact that you are eating a ketogenic diet with an intake of 32 grams of carbohydrate a day.

Maximum Fat Intake: 217 grams.

For every 1 gram of protein you eat over 112 grams of protein, reduce your fat intake by .5 grams to stay within the calorie limits compatible with your weight loss goal.

Do not lower your fat intake below 93 grams which is 30% of total calories.

Note: Calculated calories for nutrients will not match total calorie recommendation due to rounding during calculations.
    My goal is to add mass and ideally lose as much BF as possible, you can see i'm not in any rush, I selected 1/2 a pound a week. My main concern is protein and fat ratio, you can see the guide says "65% of your calories should come from fats 30% of your calories should come from proteins" but the calculator says I should be eating less protein after 3 weeks.

So based on a 2500cal diet should I eat 188g of protein which is about 30% of my calories (as the guide suggests) or 112g as the calculator recommends?

Also do you recommend eating carbs at the weekends?

Example diet I've been eating (note: there's probably some crap in there, also i'm using up whey and casein powder I have left.)

St0o81's Food Diary | MyFitnessPal.com
    MP Veteran

Go for 150g. Also, if you want to stay keto I would not add carbs at the weekend.
    The Journal of Mowens800
    1RM @ 83 - 83.5kg Bodyweight [Squat: 170kg - Bench (paused): 100kg - Deadlift: 200kg]
    MP MEET
    MP Junior

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Mowens800 View Post
    Go for 150g. Also, if you want to stay keto I would not add carbs at the weekend.
    Is it not a good idea to replenish the muscle?

Quote Quote
    3K. Glycogen Refeeding ↑
    A glycogen refeed is simply the ingestion of carbohydrates for a set period of time with the main intention of replenishing the muscle-glycogen stores. If you weight-train then it would be a good idea to implement some type of refeed (either a cyclical refeed or a targeted refeed).
    MP Veteran

Not needed. In keto and fat adaption, with a sensible training routine and adequate rest your glycogen requirement will be lower but the stores will still refill before the next training session.
    cb83 likes this.
    The Journal of Mowens800
    1RM @ 83 - 83.5kg Bodyweight [Squat: 170kg - Bench (paused): 100kg - Deadlift: 200kg]
    MP MEET
    MP Junior

Anyone checked my food diary? Am I eating the right kind of foods?
    Banned

Doesn't look bad. May want to ditch the hot X buns and vegetable oils (butter/olive oil as an alternative).
    MP Junior

Yeah, moment of weakness, was straight after the gym though.

Thread Information