1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Brown rice/white rice/white potato/sweet potato/bread/pasta confusion

1. Default Brown rice/white rice/white potato/sweet potato/bread/pasta confusion

MP Senior

Hi everyone.

I'm confused. I can't seem to figure out which type of carbs I should be eating.

Im 24, 6'0", and 10st7lb skinny fat.

Recently changed my diet to the following:

Morning: 25g Impact Whey shake, 40g blueberry oats, 400ml whole milk.

Snack: Banana, handful of mixed nuts.

Lunch: Cinamon raisin bagel, with peanut butter and jam or smoked salmon and cream cheese, banana, 400ml whole milk.

Snack: Handful of mixed nuts.

PWO: 25g Impact whey shake, 400ml whole milk.

Dinner: Grilled chicken breast with one large sweet potato and mixed veg (broccoli, spinach, peas and sweetcorn).

This all comes to about 2400 cals.

Just looking to change up my lunch and my evening meal to include other types of carb but what else is there? I cant figure out what to have instead of the usual pasta or rice with my chicken, as I keep reading rice/pasta/potatoes are empty carbs.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Quote Quote
    Cinamon raisin bagel, with peanut butter and jam
    No, just no.

Quote Quote
    I keep reading rice/pasta/potatoes are empty carbs.
    What I think is meant by this is they are JUST carbs and devoid of nutriton, which is in itself false.

Rice is basically just starch, but has a high amount of grams of carbs per 100g, which is useful if you need to hit carb totals.

Pasta, unless you are buying wheat free/gluten free is not a great choice, but this depends on your tolerance for them.

Potatoes are a good choice, packed full of nutrition I would eat only potatoes if I could hit carb totals with them alone.

Oats are also another idea. Fruit could be used PWO.

Did you get that meal plan out of Mens Health?

Whats the goal - muscle gain or fat loss? Dont say both, pick one goal and go for it.

The best sources of carbs, IMHO, are from vegetables, Sweet Potatoes and, at a push (if you need to increase carbs) white rice. Cut out the grains, processed stuff and oats etc.

Your Omega balance looks to be off with that meal plan too - the Salmon is good for Omega 3's but the Mixed nuts & chicken seem to be giving you more Omega 6 and far too many PUFA's for my liking.

My Suggestion would be:

Swap the breakfast oats and blueberries for eggs with the yolk (think omelletes with veg etc)
    Ditch the fruit completely - in fact ditch the snacks completely, you dont need to snack - thats for animals, its called Grazing
    Swap the chicken for a big fatty steak (rump/sirloin or rib eye)

This is what I would do anyway. What are your macros? Also what are your goals and have you thought about IF?
    "How else are we to emerge victorious unless we put in the proper sacrifice?" - Alan Aragon
    My Training Journal | 2014 Cut
    Current PBs: Squat - 172.5 kgs, Bench Press - 125kgs, OHP - 70kgs, BOR - 105kgs, Deadlift - 205kgs

Oats are fine if you get decent ones. The better quality the less likely to be contaminated with wheat, this is only important if you are gluten/wheat intolerant of course.

Wouldn't have them for breakfast though! Unless PWO.

Id just ditch breakfast altogether, and have a big ass lunch and big ass dinner.

Or just have a HUUUUGE ass dinner PWO!
    "How else are we to emerge victorious unless we put in the proper sacrifice?" - Alan Aragon
    My Training Journal | 2014 Cut
    Current PBs: Squat - 172.5 kgs, Bench Press - 125kgs, OHP - 70kgs, BOR - 105kgs, Deadlift - 205kgs

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by lukeward View Post
    Id just ditch breakfast altogether, and have a big ass lunch and big ass dinner.

That's what I do
    MP Senior

Quote Quote
    Did you get that meal plan out of Mens Health?

Whats the goal - muscle gain or fat loss? Dont say both, pick one goal and go for it.

The best sources of carbs, IMHO, are from vegetables, Sweet Potatoes and, at a push (if you need to increase carbs) white rice. Cut out the grains, processed stuff and oats etc.

Your Omega balance looks to be off with that meal plan too - the Salmon is good for Omega 3's but the Mixed nuts & chicken seem to be giving you more Omega 6 and far too many PUFA's for my liking.

My Suggestion would be:

Swap the breakfast oats and blueberries for eggs with the yolk (think omelletes with veg etc)
    Ditch the fruit completely - in fact ditch the snacks completely, you dont need to snack - thats for animals, its called Grazing
    Swap the chicken for a big fatty steak (rump/sirloin or rib eye)

This is what I would do anyway. What are your macros? Also what are your goals and have you thought about IF?
    Hi Luke,

Firstly, what are PUFAs?

My goal. I'm really skinny. For a 6ft tall bloke I wear topman extra small tops, and I'm a 30 waist. I see no muscle when I look at myself in the mirror just skin bones and a gut which is where I think most of my 10st7lb frame resides. I want to build muscle, but I equally want to shift this belly as it is humiliating and I have to suck it in whenever I'm stood up.

On to the diet. You're saying cut out the grains which is fair enough but I understood that oats were fine? Don't many people even put oats in their shakes? Ditch the fruit, I'm puzzled by this one I must admit. And unfortunately I don't eat beef for religious reasons, and I avoid most red meat for taste reasons so its strictly chicken and fish I'm afraid

Just calculated my macros using this site http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

CARBS PROTEIN FAT FIBER CALORIES
    333.9 147 66.2 29 - 37 2519
    111.3 49 22.1 10 - 12 840
    Last edited by tom619; 16-07-2013 at 02:19 PM.

PUFA's - PolyUnsaturated Fatty Acids
    MP Senior

Quote Quote

My stomach rumbles like crazy by 9.30am if I haven't had any breakfast. Not good for my morning meetings!
    Rodeo Star

The Workers' Hunger Helps Them, Because Their Desire To Eat Makes Them Work.
    Patience Is Better Than Strength. Controlling Your Temper Is Better Than Capturing A City.
    Fools Quickly Show That They Are Upset, But The Wise Ignore Insults.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information