1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Diet advice for cutting?

san
    MP Member

Am i right in think while on the Keto diet, that its a cycle process? ie. 5 days NO Carbs followed by a cheat day, then back to No carbs?

I read a few different articles, but they are a few years old, are there any up to date articles on the Keto diet?
    MP Veteran

Pure keto isnt a cyle process.

These are some good links, but be prepaired for some hardcore brainstorming to understand it fully:

Ketosis
    Ketosis
    san likes this.
    san
    MP Member

Thank you.

Also, on IF during this Keto diet... i guess thats going to be too extreme? ie. going 16+ hours on no calories, while having zero carbs?

Ok so it sounds like you are looking at doing what I am currently running in terms of diet - I do IF and my eating window is from 12noon - 8pm at night, no issues here.

I usually have two meals, lunch and dinner, and all low carb high fat. Normally Ill eat a 6 egg omellete for lunch with some grated cheese, mushrooms and red onions for Lunch, then the same again with 500-750g steak fried in butter for dinner.

Every two weeks im having a high carb, low fat refeed where I eat 10% OVER my maintenance calories to jack up leptin and help to reset my metabolism / balance out hormones - dieting hard for too long is counter productive.
    san likes this.
    "How else are we to emerge victorious unless we put in the proper sacrifice?" - Alan Aragon
    My Training Journal | 2014 Cut| Start of Candito PL Cycle|Start of Periodised Fat loss protocol
    All time PBs: Squat - 190 kgs, Bench Press - 135kgs, OHP - 75kgs, BOR - 130kgs, Deadlift - 230kgs
    san
    MP Member

Ok, thanks for that, wasn't sure on the IF as well as the Keto diet, so that, clears that up.

My eating window is 2:30pm - 10:30pm, as i work nights.

At the minute im having about 100g of carbs or less with 240g of salmon and have been doing this for nearly 2 weeks now, so am trying to get my carbs as late in my eating window as possible, as i was finding it really hard to work through the night on no carbs.

So that is my worry, feeling crap and not having any energy at work, which i sort of need, as it can be physical.

So shall i stop counting calories? And just eat until im satisfied (HF and Protein) within my eating window?

TO be honest I would only track calories if your fat loss is tailing off - Occasionally I do track my calories and check my macros but if I eat as described above I find its almost perfect keto macros and my energy/recovery arent affected, and I can still lift heavy (in fact im slowly getting STRONGER despite the calorie deficit).

I dont schedule in carb refeeds, I go by how I feel - I did fine for a long time without ever refeeding, my body is fat adapted and deals with Fat much better than carbs as an energy source - however it took months of eating LCHF to get to this state. Carb refeeds are only done occasionally to jack up leptin - usually the tell tale signs for me are a complete lack of fat loss for 3weeks or more, and a drop in my strength. Carb refeed fixes all of this and I often come back stronger afterwards
    "How else are we to emerge victorious unless we put in the proper sacrifice?" - Alan Aragon
    My Training Journal | 2014 Cut| Start of Candito PL Cycle|Start of Periodised Fat loss protocol
    All time PBs: Squat - 190 kgs, Bench Press - 135kgs, OHP - 75kgs, BOR - 130kgs, Deadlift - 230kgs
    san
    MP Member

Sorry for the late reply, but thats for your advice Luke.

The more i read about it, the more i want to give it ago.

Im slowly dropping my carbs everyday, down to about 40g of carbs now, eat them just before i go to work, so i have a little energy.

Im also slowly getting used to the low carbs now, and am starting to get over my hunger pains.

The only problem i have, is every now and again, my body feels really tired, and i feel lethargic.
    But i guess thats part of getting used to the low carbs.

I have not tried the keto yet, like i say i am dropping my carbs everyday, and probably on my next day off is when i will start the keto.

The last couple of days i have fasted for about 20 hours due to my eating window, plus the extra sleep i have been getting

Also have not really noticed any significant strength loss while working out.

Sounds like you may be going through the "carb flu" - if you are coming off the back of a normal carb heavy diet to low carb eating, some people feel a bit lethargic and sometimes suffer from mental "fuzziness" for a few days whilst the body adapts to low carb eating and switching to fat metabolism.

I dont get these symptoms any longer when getting back into ketosis but some people suffer from it - note that this feeling will pass within a week or so and you will feel great afterwards, you have constant energy and no longer suffer from the massive swings in blood sugar levels with low carb. I find a mental clarity that I cannot achieve when eating high carb, its a wonderful way to live, and I dont suffer in the gym but this may be due to the fact ive been low carb for over a year now.
    san likes this.

Forgot to add - it takes a good few weeks and sometimes months for some to become fully fat adapted - so if I where you, I wouldnt have a carb refeed for a month or two, or indeed when your performance in the gym and fat loss stalls. This will give your body the chance to become a fat burner in lieu of just being a carb burner.

Thread Information