1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Low Carb/Ketogenic Diets - Q&A

MP Veteran

The original Atkins diet was not low fat or high protein. Later incarnations of the diet (after his demise) may be like that because the people who took the business over bowed to mainstream pressure and changed it due to criticisms of its high saturated fat content!
    ben 21 likes this.
    Rodeo Star

^ Sounds about right!
    The Workers' Hunger Helps Them, Because Their Desire To Eat Makes Them Work.
    Patience Is Better Than Strength. Controlling Your Temper Is Better Than Capturing A City.
    Fools Quickly Show That They Are Upset, But The Wise Ignore Insults.
    MP Veteran

I remember doing the original atkins with my dad and it definitely wasn't low fat high protein

.::Mr.Twisted::.
    NU_nutrition_TS likes this.
    Back and Better than before......
    My Training Journal
    Rodeo Star

How To Tell If Your Fat Adapted

For me...

I didn't crave carbs (Good start)

I noticed an even distribution of energy from sun up, to sun down (No sugar crashes or fluctuating energy levels)

Sweet things tasted overbearingly sickly. Even 70% cocoa tasted really sweet.

Plain foods begin to taste good. I began to appreciate blander tastes; noticed delicate notes in food.

I regained all strength in the gym and some.

I survive times of stress much, much easier. I don't dive into cakes and sweets. I overall cope better with stressors.

Bitter tastes are actually very interesting and pleasant.

The 'carb flu' headaches and fuzziness disappeared.

Mental clarity vastly improved. I noticed a massive improvement in cognition. Feels like my brain is running on nitrous.

Feelings of calmness and a general sense of well-being.

I don't tend to get peckish or snacky. I don't have an urge to eat between meals, or should I say, meal.

Even after long spells fasted, I'm not declining in energy whatsoever.

When I do actually eat carbs, I don't suffer cravings afterwards. I can jump back onto a low carb diet straight away, no sweat.

I don't suffer body odour... Odd.

I don't tire easily.

Sugar tastes rank full stop.

Of course that's just me and my experiences. Thought I'd share them in a thread of this nature. Seems like as good as place as any.
    Last edited by ben 21; 25-08-2013 at 11:35 PM.
    The Workers' Hunger Helps Them, Because Their Desire To Eat Makes Them Work.
    Patience Is Better Than Strength. Controlling Your Temper Is Better Than Capturing A City.
    Fools Quickly Show That They Are Upset, But The Wise Ignore Insults.
    MP Veteran

I would probably tick most of those boxes too!
    MP Veteran

Just noticed Peter Attia posted this blog entry:

Ketones and Carbohydrates: Can they co-exist? The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

This is exactly what I am doing now so Im very excited to read/study it.
    MP Veteran

I'll preface this with I eat some carbs but only post workout and usually only from fruit and veg. I've seen similar things as Ben , my comments in red.

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by ben 21 View Post
    How To Tell If Your Fat Adapted

For me...

I didn't crave carbs (Good start) Yep, dont need any carbs through out the day and can train pretty well like that.

I noticed an even distribution of energy from sun up, to sun down (No sugar crashes or fluctuating energy levels)Yep, although can depend on training volume/stress - I work around it

Sweet things tasted overbearingly sickly. Even 70% cocoa tasted really sweet. I enjoy 100% chocolate - milk chocolate is too sweet

Plain foods begin to taste good. I began to appreciate blander tastes; noticed delicate notes in food.Still havent got this one

I regained all strength in the gym and some. Strength is okay - think my overall intake is a bit too low.

I survive times of stress much, much easier. I don't dive into cakes and sweets. I overall cope better with stressors. I dont get overly stressed at all

Bitter tastes are actually very interesting and pleasant. I think thats why I like the 100% chocolate

The 'carb flu' headaches and fuzziness disappeared. None of that anymore - but I've dabbled in low carb on and off for 10 years

Mental clarity vastly improved. I noticed a massive improvement in cognition. Feels like my brain is running on nitrous. Been on this way of eating for quite a long time - I dont really remember what its like not to feel this way

Feelings of calmness and a general sense of well-being.

I don't tend to get peckish or snacky. I don't have an urge to eat between meals, or should I say, meal.I only eat at meal times, although sometimes this does mean I think I undereat, Im pretty good at ignoring hunger

Even after long spells fasted, I'm not declining in energy whatsoever. I get by, whilst physical energy is pretty good, my "social" energy declines a little - Im not as chatty

When I do actually eat carbs, I don't suffer cravings afterwards. I can jump back onto a low carb diet straight away, no sweat.Same for me although I do tend to time carbs with intense exercise

I don't suffer body odour... Odd.I just use a crystal bacteriostatic I seem to be fine. - I guess bacteria doesnt thrive as well without readily available sugar?

I don't tire easily. Same here - 2 hours gym work followed by 2 hours gymnastics I can do, managed 3 hours of rock climbing and only stopped because my forearms were trashed

Sugar tastes rank full stop.

Of course that's just me and my experiences. Thought I'd share them in a thread of this nature. Seems like as good as place as any.
    ben 21 likes this.
    My Beginners Guide -
    SpiderDans Beginners Guide
    My Discount Code - MP69768 - use it for some money off your first order
    MP Veteran

Quote Quote
    Mental clarity vastly improved. I noticed a massive improvement in cognition. Feels like my brain is running on nitrous.
    How can one tell this?
    MP Senior

Any mention of how in-expensive a LCHF diet is? For me at least.
    Breakfast like a Pauper, Lunch like a Prince, Dinner like a King
    My 1st Log http://community.myprotein.com/train...t-journal.html
    MP Veteran

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by dare_v View Post
    How can one tell this?
    If and when it happens to you it will be unmistakeable - the difference between night and day!

I think Ben21 may have mentioned this himself in a post on another thread but I certainly noticed that, when he first started posting here, that his thought processes seemed somewhat erratic and disordered (from the language of his posts) and that his spelling and grammar left much to be desired. But since he has experienced this change in mental clarity, his posts have become much more cogent and his spelling and grammar have improved immensely.

I hope he doesn't mind me saying that (I'm just so impressed with the improvements!) - if you do, Ben, just sing out and I will delete this post!
    Last edited by NU_nutrition_TS; 27-08-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    ben 21 likes this.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information