1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Default More protein Chicken Breast or Thigh?

Hiya Guys,

Is there a difference in protein content for boneless chicken thigh and leg??

Reason I ask is theres quite a bit of difference in price, my local butcher charges 99p / lb for thigh and about 3..something / lb for breast??
    MP Veteran

Thigh has more fat in it (not a bad thing imo) the protein level will be slightly (just slightly) lower in the thighs.

The thighs will no doubt provide more protein per cost price, people go for breasts because they are 'nicer'
    High Fat Diet Sucks

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

Ripped Barbarian is a Supplements & Training and Diet Moderator.

Ok that makes sense, at three times the cost ill stick to thigh for the bulk of my chicken requirements...

Thanks
    ** Senior

The fat in the thighs keeps the meat moist, where as you need to cook breasts for less time to avoid the meat becoming graining and dry. When chicken breast is cooked but still really moist and juicy, it is fantastic but it's hard to time it just right every time. If you want cheap protein that cooks consistantly well and is guaranteed to be flavorsome, go for the thighs. Nice chicken thigh recipe below as it happens. Click cancel on the language box that pops up.

http://www.japan-guide.com/r/e102.html
    CoN
    The General Mod

i love thighs.. only prob they dont cook to good at work in the the george foreman. lol

so i have breast during days..

thighs are the daddy on BBQs
    Use Coupon MP15287 For 5% Off Your 1st Order

Carbs "Burn Them Or Wear Them"

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.
    CoN is a General Forum Moderator.
    ** Senior

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by CoN View Post
    thighs are the daddy on BBQs
    amen!
    Use voucher code MP10927 in your next order for a 5% discount!!!
    cleaver
    Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Thigh has more fat in it (not a bad thing imo) the protein level will be slightly (just slightly) lower in the thighs.

The thighs will no doubt provide more protein per cost price, people go for breasts because they are 'nicer'

I agree.

The thigh is also has lot more flavour as it does a lot more work whilst attached to the chicken. Prior to being beheaded of course. Not always the case if it's a battery chicken. That's another argument entirely.
    MP 'Expert'

Blog Entries
    Is thigh not cheaper cos you are paying for the bone?
    5% OFF your first order & Endless FREE advice - just use the code MP4156 when you order
    Click here for details of my Nutrition Mentorship | DUBLIN Conference 2013
    Follow me on Facebook and Twitter for nutrition updates
    No Bull!

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    Is thigh not cheaper cos you are paying for the bone?
    that obviously would make up alot of the extra weight you get. you also tend to get more meat though too, and more fat. If your bulking they're ideal and affordable.
    Can everyone stop thinking so much.please?
    simon m
    When I was poor I used to eat chicken thighs with pasta all the time, much better taste than breast and the fats would help as well, so on taste along, I'm a thigh man!

Thread Information