1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Default Low Fructose Fruit?

As bizzare as it sounds, not all fruits have lots of fructose. In fact, in many fruits much of the carb content of fruit is only about 50% fructose.

I thought it might be interesting to see what fruits and fruit-based products are low fructose, in relation to their total carbohydrate content (adapted from http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu...ctose-Diet.pdf and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructos...ctose_content).

Low Fructose fruits:

Pineapples,
    strawberries, raspberries
    blackberries, lemons, limes,
    avocado, bananas,
    rhubarb, orange

High fructose:

Prunes, pears, cherries
    peaches, apples, plums,
    applesauce, apple juice,
    pear juice, apple cider,
    grapes, dates, figs, raisins, melons, mangos, lychees, guavas, paw-paws, persimmons, coconut milk

Most other fruits seem to have a moderate fructose content.

Its worth noting that, although not a fruit, honey also has relatively high fructose content

Remember that many fruits have high water content, so even if they have high fructose content as a percentage of total carb content, because they contain much water, their OVERALL fructose content is still quite small.
    MP Code MP2931 for 5% off first order - and make daddy some money ...

I dont need to sell my soul, he's already in me
    Stone Roses - "I Wanna Be Adored"

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

hailtotheking is a Global Moderator.
    Teetotal

Good post.
    MP5500 for 5% off first order!
    Training Journal - My Pic's

Blog Entries
    Interesting...

MP225 for 5% off your first order made from myprotein.

My training journal for the BPC British Powerlifting championships isHERE

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

James Copping is a Super Moderator.
    Dtlv74
    Good info.

By the way, is there a particular fruit considered by anyone to be 'the king of fruit'?!

I'd say bananas are a front runner as they're a good source of vits A, B6 & C and potassium and provide fructose, sucrose and glucose to give a sustained carbs release. Only downside is not much protein!

Blog Entries
    A mix of berries would get my vote as the "best" fruit, although a varitey is always important.

MP225 for 5% off your first order made from myprotein.

My training journal for the BPC British Powerlifting championships isHERE

James Copping is a Super Moderator.
    ** Senior

Well monkeys etc live on bananas and always go to one when there sick, so apart from a banana being a high source of fibre and potassium it must be the king of fruit, followed closely by apple / orange.

How can a banana be low fructose when itís a low gi? Also I don't see honey there; I always have honey in the morning to sort out the glycogen depletion in the liver
    MP Veteran

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by HooRah View Post
    Well monkeys etc live on bananas and always go to one when there sick, so apart from a banana being a high source of fibre and potassium it must be the king of fruit, followed closely by apple / orange.

How can a banana be low fructose when it’s a low gi? Also I don't see honey there; I always have honey in the morning to sort out the glycogen depletion in the liver
    Monkeys don't live on bananas, unless they are in a zoo.
    There are much better fruits than bananas.
    High Fat Diet Sucks

Ripped Barbarian is a Supplements & Training and Diet Moderator.
    ** Junior

Monkeys eat a lot of figs to :P
    ''If your going through hell, keep going''

In light of RC's comment here http://forum.myprotein.co.uk/diet-nu...-better-2.html about taking into account the fact that the disaccharide sucrose in fruit is also 50% fructose, i found a more informative list of foods in this article https://www.t-nation.com/free_online...ls_of_fructose that takes this into account:

Quote Quote
    When people hear the word fructose, they usually think fruit. Ready for a shocker? Fruit is actually not the major source of fructose in your diet!
    Yes, it does have fructose, but only certain fruits are high in it, while others are relatively low. Not all fruits are bad for your body composition; vegetables are the same way.
    The major contributors of fructose in your diet, in descending order, are as follows:
    • High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS)
    • Table Sugar, which is a 50:50 combination of glucose and fructose
    • Brown Sugar
    • Maple Sugar
    • Cane Sugar
    • Molasses
    • Honey
    • Concentrated Fruit Juice
    • Fruits
    • Vegetables
    Avoid the top eight in this list at all costs!

The following fruits are highest in fructose (per typical serving size)*. They contain more than 4 grams of fructose per serving.
    Stay away from these outside of an occasional breakfast:
    • apple
    • banana
    • cherries (1 Cup)
    • grapes (1 Cup)
    • mango
    • melon (2 wedges)
    • orange
    • pear
    • pineapple (2 rings)
    • watermelon (1 large slice)
    These fruits are lowest in fructose; they contain less than 4 grams of fructose per serving.
    You can eat these with less restriction:
    • apricot
    • avocado (1/3 medium; yes, it's a fruit)
    • blackberries (1/2 cup)
    • figs
    • grapefruit (1/2 medium)
    • papaya
    • peach
    • plum
    • raspberries (1/2 cup)
    • strawberries (1/2 cup)
    • tomato (yes, also a fruit)

*Note, these values were calculated by adding all of the fructose plus half of the sucrose per typical serving size (i.e., a typical apple weighs 120 grams).

Vegetables are much lower in fructose than fruits. The highest fructose-containing vegetables are corn and sweet potatoes, and they only have roughly 1.2 grams of fructose per serving. If you're really trying to keep this sugar low, also avoid white potatoes and green peas
    You can see that this changes the list of low and high fructose foods somewhat from what i previously posted
    MP Code MP2931 for 5% off first order - and make daddy some money ...

I dont need to sell my soul, he's already in me
    Stone Roses - "I Wanna Be Adored"

hailtotheking is a Global Moderator.
    CoN
    The General Mod

Sure i read that already on T-nation

whats happens with dried fruit?
    Use Coupon MP15287 For 5% Off Your 1st Order

Carbs "Burn Them Or Wear Them"

CoN is a General Forum Moderator.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information