1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By MJ.23

Thread: Whey protein isolate increases DHT which inturn causes hairloss ?

1. Default Whey protein isolate increases DHT which inturn causes hairloss ?

MP Junior

Hi Guys,
    I have recently purchased Impact whey isolate from the myprotein.
    But as per the link below,,recent research has shown that whey protein isolate increases hair loss.

Whey Protein Isolate damages and accelerates hair loss

My hair loss seems to have increased recently but I am not sure whether "Impact whey isolate" is to be blamed.

As per the researcher,this is the root cause.

Can guys here comment on this ?

i have stopped using protein shakes for the time being.

I have some issues with this story.

1) He is only isolating (excuse the pun) whey isolate as the form of whey which causes hair loss. What about whey concentrate?

2) I have yet to see any scientific evidence that whey protein can increase testosterone.

3) Why would the isolate raise testosterone but not the concentrate?

4) I went to his website and the "study" which he "published" appears to just be a questionnaire that he gave to his patients on their experience with whey protein isolate.

5) The link you provided included an interview where he cannot pronounce dihydrotestosterone correctly. This does not give me much confidence in this mans ability.

6) This is the kicker! All of this leads to his brand spanking new whey concentrate supplement he is trying to sell to customers which he claims can increase hair growth.

When you come across an article on the internet; it is useful to check the references or try and track down the "research" that the article is referencing. There is a LOT of pseudo scientific writers on the internet and the amount of mis information is mind boggling. An article on somebodies website does not count as scientific research and do not fall for the logical fallacy of an argument from authority:

"I am an expert; therefore my opinion does not need scientific data to back it up."

Fill that shaker with whey my friend. It will do no harm.
    Last edited by MJ.23; 04-07-2012 at 06:14 PM.
    Wotan, Elvis and rash797 like this.
    Useful Links:
    MP Senior

Whatever you do don't look up creatine studies about DHT :P.
    The search tool is your friend.
    "I know one thing, that I know nothing." - Socrates
    MP Junior

Thanks mate for responding...
    Banned

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by ripponjalali View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I have recently purchased Impact whey isolate from the myprotein.
    But as per the link below,,recent research has shown that whey protein isolate increases hair loss.

Whey Protein Isolate damages and accelerates hair loss
    This source doesn't cite a reputable medical study or trial, therefore it should be disregarded. If it's not on PUBMED it doesn't exist.
    Mesomorph

Hi ripponjalali,

Difficult q to answer mate. I've read a few articles on this kind of thing and you're going to get a range of opinions on this!

Are you on a low carb diet too? I've read a low carb diet increases likelihood of hair loss - but then there are plenty of low carbers on the forum who have full heads of hair!! Me personally, I tend to side with ripped barbarian - see his signature lol!

The only conclusion I've come too is that it really depends on other factors: genetics, stress etc.- if you're destined to suffer hereditary hair loss then perhaps weight training and your diet can accelerate this; alternatively if you're genetically destined to have a good of hair into your 50s/60s then it doesnt really matter how you train and eat!

Personally I'm rocking long hair look at the minute, make the most of it while you can I reckon!

Actually I just had a thought - I don't think I've ever seen a bald obese person!! maybe that's the way fwd :-)
    Live Hard, Ride Harder
    MP Junior

you are right..there are different opionions depending upon the personal experiences..
    Like you I also had a thought that most of body builders(most of whom probably take protein shakes) in my gym are bald or have visible bald spots

Thread Information