1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Bullet-proof coffee and fasting.

1. Default Bullet-proof coffee and fasting.

MP Junior

Basically i try to follow the Leangains 16/8 fasting regime, although with working shifts its not always easy, i have read somewhere, can't remember where, or maybe i dreamt it Having a BF coffee does not break your fast, probably from the viewpoint it is a liquid and not a solid food as such, although it will contain around 200 cals. I'm not sure about this, hopefully some of the nutrition experts could explain this please?
    MP Veteran

i would think it would break the fast as it contains 200cals. just think, a litre of cream is liquid but has how many cals?

the breaking of a fast is not designed by eating liquid or foods it by the cals and i think the limit is 50cals??? thats the reason why a black coffee doesnt break the fast.

but im sure someone else with more knowledge will soon chip in
    MP Veteran

Blog Entries
    I would have to agree with blackstone - if the caloric content is significant, then it is technically 'breaking the fast', whether it be in liquid form or solid food. It is these arbitrary distinctions as to what constitutes food or not that often lead people astray when trying to control intake. People assume a beverage does not constitute food even though a super-sized sugary beverage may have as many or more calories than the solid food snack they eat immediately beforehand!
    MP Junior

I have to agree with you guys, techinically it is breaking a fast, but to what detriment of the effect of the fast i don't know, anyway, I've found where i read it Introducing Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting: How to Lose Fat, Build Muscle, Stay Focused & Feel Great The Bulletproof Executive I suppose its a sort of variation on a type of fast?
    MP Veteran

Blog Entries
    Well, true intermittent fasting - from an evolutionary perspective - would have been unregimented and random, so I don't suppose it would make a great deal of difference so long as it does not evolve into just another regular meal pattern!
    MP Veteran

the link you quote is an IF approach but the fast is for 12hrs. i believe the the leangains approach that is mentioned is 16hrs. perosonally, i wouldnt get to caught up in all this and just do what works for you and waht you can manage. whats more important is what you actually eat not when ar how often you eat it
    Man of Steel

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by NU_nutrition_TS View Post
    Well, true intermittent fasting - from an evolutionary perspective - would have been unregimented and random, so I don't suppose it would make a great deal of difference so long as it does not evolve into just another regular meal pattern!
    Yes but we aren't running around in loincloths with spears grunting like apes, so I don't think it's the best example to base ones diet on.

I'd rather listen to Berkham than an ape man. =P
    MP Junior

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by NU_nutrition_TS View Post
    Thinking about fasting being random etc, i have just realised i actually do this, i work shifts, 2x12 days followed by 2x12 nights then 6 days off, on nights i have something like liver and onions at around midnight/one in the morning, get home and in bed for 7am then up at around 2pm, then something to eat around 5pm, I'm a modern day caveman
    NU_nutrition_TS likes this.
    MP Veteran

Blog Entries
    Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    Yes but we aren't running around in loincloths with spears grunting like apes, so I don't think it's the best example to base ones diet on.

I'd rather listen to Berkham than an ape man. =P
    It's not about re-enactment, it's about taking the basic principle and applying it to the modern life-style. As big davey has said, by dint of his shift pattern, he is already eating in randomly intermittent fashion.

I too, for various reasons eat this way: principally I eat according to hunger/satiety, so there are no set meal-times, number of meals, size of meals or periods of fasting and eating.

Various intermittent fasting protocols are basically a means for someone to 'sell' a format. You don't have to ascribe to any particular format to incorporate this style of eating into your day-to-day life.
    blackstone likes this.
    MP Veteran

Isn't random hunger a sign of hormone imbalances?

Thread Information