1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jos

Thread: Hormesis

1. Default Hormesis

MP Junior

Hello 1st post here hope i dont break any rules

Hormesis is a biological phenomenon whereby a beneficial effect (improved health, stress tolerance, growth or longevity) results from exposure to low doses of an agent that is otherwise toxic or lethal when given at higher doses. The philosophy of Hormetism, advocated in this blog, is based upon harnessing this biological phenomenon in a deliberate and systematic way in order to increase strength and resilience.

Here goes i have been adopting this approach(Check out Hormesis*/* Getting Stronger) recently and im already noticing improvements, in my energy, mood, body composition and addictions(stimulants and chocolate)

Just asking has anybody else adopted or heard of HORMESIS would love to interact with somebody who has some knowledge on this subject

Thanks
    Jos
    MP Senior

*waits on James*
    James likes this.
    MP Veteran

Haha...

I'm a big advocate of this belief; I use it in all factors of my life; you must remember though, just because something is a stress on the body/bodily systems it doesn't mean it will have a hormetic benefit.

Some of the things that I indulge in, within an hormetic fashion:-

Alcohol (Usually a glass of good dry red wine on rest days, or the odd night out on rest day weekends)
    Dark Chocolate (as high a cocoa content as possible, usually factored into my diet so actually eaten quite regularly)
    Tobacco (Either a good quality cigar or rolling tobacco with as little as possible rolling paper - blue skins, back rolled, excess paper disposed off, filter added)
    Vegetables (only have a few servings a week, if that!)
    Wheat/grain foodstuffs (normally once or twice a month at most)
    Drop sets (usually an isolated exercise in a friday session, giving me the weekend to recover then not hitting the muscle again till at least the Wednesday)
    Failure sets (every once in a while, full MAX strength failure set, plenty of rest and recovery given before/after)
    etc etc

Training is actually beneficial from the effects of hormesis, the body is broken down during exercise only to rebuilt in hormetic fashion whilst resting after the training.

Things such as bad sleep, injuries etc are stresses on the body, but there is negative, non-hormetic effect from these.
    MP Junior

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by James View Post
    Haha...

I'm a big advocate of this belief; I use it in all factors of my life; you must remember though, just because something is a stress on the body/bodily systems it doesn't mean it will have a hormetic benefit.

Some of the things that I indulge in, within an hormetic fashion:-

Alcohol (Usually a glass of good dry red wine on rest days, or the odd night out on rest day weekends)
    Dark Chocolate (as high a cocoa content as possible, usually factored into my diet so actually eaten quite regularly)
    Tobacco (Either a good quality cigar or rolling tobacco with as little as possible rolling paper - blue skins, back rolled, excess paper disposed off, filter added)
    Vegetables (only have a few servings a week, if that!)
    Wheat/grain foodstuffs (normally once or twice a month at most)
    Drop sets (usually an isolated exercise in a friday session, giving me the weekend to recover then not hitting the muscle again till at least the Wednesday)
    Failure sets (every once in a while, full MAX strength failure set, plenty of rest and recovery given before/after)
    etc etc

Training is actually beneficial from the effects of hormesis, the body is broken down during exercise only to rebuilt in hormetic fashion whilst resting after the training.

Things such as bad sleep, injuries etc are stresses on the body, but there is negative, non-hormetic effect from these.
    Thanks for your reply. Im trying to incorporate various hormetic principles:
    -Cold Showers
    -High Intensity Training
    -Intermittent Fasting
    -Deconditioning Psychology*/* Getting Stronger

Noticed profound effects on definitely not placebo:
    -Improved Mood
    -Uncontrollable Energy sometimes i feel wired without taking a stimulant (low carb diet helps)
    -Personality (more talkative and assertive)
    -Sleep duration and quality (5hrs sleep and wake up feeling totally refreshed and energized)
    -Fat Loss
    -No spikes in hunger

I have started a blog to track my progress

How long have you been using this approach and what benefits have you noticed?
    Last edited by highsandlows; 27-10-2012 at 01:03 AM.

Thread Information