1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Default Cheat day causing sore skin and joints?

Jos
    MP Senior

Odd one, my GF suffers from sore to touch skin and sore joints after her cheat day, neck and kidney region particularly sore. (I know, I know why do you have a cheat day etc, but really it's for her sanity/my health!) She's 5'7" and about 65kg.

During the week she's low carb; eating mince and veg, salad, chicken, eggs, apples, natural full fat yoghurt.

This weekend was particularly bad so I'm asking what the causes could be, food on Sat was:
    2 slices white toast with butter
    1 pastry cream slice
    M&S bbq stone base pizza (1/2)
    bag of salted popcorn
    chinese (chicken chow mein)
    1/2 bar of galaxy choc.

Removing her cheat day is not an option so we'd like to narrow down what could be the cause and limit intake of foods that cause it.

So from that I can see 3 options: carbs in general, wheat and sodium. Any thoughts as to what it might be?

I don't know if it classes as a sort of medical Q so if not allowed please delete
    MP Veteran

Gluten/wheat causing an inflammation maybe.
    The Journal of Mowens800
    http://podpro.online
    Birmingham Great Run (half marathon): 02:24:28
    MP Veteran

Has she had an issue with any of the cheat food before?
    Jos
    MP Senior

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by leemchisholm View Post
    Has she had an issue with any of the cheat food before?
    Not as identifiable, it's possible but not as prominent.

Quote Quote
    Gluten/wheat causing an inflammation maybe.
    Gluten was my thought but we'd usually have scones/muffins/crumpets and other wheat products.
    Jos
    MP Senior

I'm thinking more toward the elevated sodium intake combined with carbs leading to water retention under the skin. Plausible?
    MP Veteran

I agree with Mowens800 - this sounds more like a problem with wheat/gluten. Sore joints in particular is just one of the more common non-gut-related symptoms of gluten intolerance. It could be more noticeable than usual simply because gluten-containing foods are being eaten in a concentrated window of time (i.e., a 'cheat day') rather than on a regular basis throughout the week. I have often speculated that people who claim to have no trouble whatsoever with grains and wheat in particular merely do not recognise any minor symptoms they may have and/or don't relate them with particular foods they may eat. It is only when you abstain from those foods for a period of time, then go back to them, that a connection becomes apparent.
    Jos
    MP Senior

It was the 1st thing I jumped on too, but I don't want to narrow my focus on 1 thing when although is a common problem, may not be the issue. As I said we would normally eat a fair amount of wheat on Saturday's but this is the 1st time there has been a reaction. I think at the moment there isn't enough information to isolate the cause. We'll start a process of elimination and see if there is a correlation.
    One other thing I didn't mention which on hindsight will be a contributing factor is she's sub-clinical hypo, going to retest TSH and T4 next week and then see if the GP will actually treat the symptoms, not the blood work...
    MP Senior

concerning thyroid function on a low carb way of eating, Ron Rosedale's view might be worth bearing in mind

Quote Quote
    RON ROSEDALE

No, not at all. We shouldn’t be asking the question, “How do I get a higher metabolism?” We should be asking the question, “How do I improve the quality of my metabolism?” Which is a very different story. Anybody can have a higher metabolism. You can do it, for instance, with recreational drugs and diet pills, many of which have been taken off the market,. These for the most part, will actually increase the rate of aging and its symptoms, as will many other ways to “raise” metabolism just for the sake of raising it such as the many “thermogenic aids” in “health food” stores. If you simply seek to increase metabolism, you’re just going to increase the rate of whatever kind metabolism you’ve got going, good or bad. So if you’ve got a less than optimal metabolism, and you just increase the rate of it, you’re just going to increase the damage that it’s doing. That’s what you see in many, many people. And that’s a major problem.

A related problem is a misunderstanding about how the thyroid, and diet, interact with metabolism. One of the major issues that one sees in the so-called safe starch debate, is that the advocates of eating more starches often warn that when you don’t eat carbs, you end up with a lower amount of the thyroid hormone, T3, in the blood, and this is a warning sign of hypothyroidism–meaning too little thyroid function. And that’s just such a wrong way of looking at it. Certainly when you eat a very low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet, the amount of T3 in your blood goes down—but in most cases, even though T3 goes down, your TSH – thyroid stimulating hormone – does not go up. TSH is a kind of thermostatic regulator. When the body actually needs more thyroid hormone, TSH generally rises, and pushes the thyroid to make more T3. When the body is getting enough thyroid, TSH generally stays low. So if your thyroid hormone levels go down while your TSH also stays in the low to normal ranges, it’s probably not because your thyroid is sick, any more than your pancreas is sick when your insulin level goes down on a very low-carbohydrate diet, and your blood sugars stay low as well. When insulin levels go down and blood sugar becomes more normal as well, it’s a clue that your cells are finally becoming less insulin resistant and are getting sensitive to a healthy, low level signal of insulin. In a similar way, a low TSH, coupled with a lower T3 level, is indicative, not of a sick thyroid, but more of proper signaling. You might say it indicates that your cellular resistance to the signals of thyroid is letting up. Your cells are getting more sensitive to thyroid signals, and your T3 level is going down precisely because cells can finally hear the signal properly. So a lower thyroid level, with low- to normal TSH, can indicate that your metabolism is now functioning at a higher-quality level. In other words, you’re getting more bang for each energy buck.

More bang for the buck is also happening, for instance, in calorie-restricted animals who live longer than animals fed a regular amount of calories. In calorie-restricted animals, researchers generally see a lower free T3. They also see lower T3 in centenarians, people who live past 100. When you see a lower free T3, it’s really indicative of kind of a longevity phenotype. It’s indicative of what you might even call, non-hibernating hibernation. And one clue that this lower T3 is healthy is that people who have it generally report that they function better. If it happens to you, on a low-carb diet that you’ve become adapted to over time, you’re not weak. You generally have more energy.

Having your T3 level go lower, in a healthy way, is like being able to turn down the idle of a car when it’s tuned properly, so that at rest it doesn’t have to waste as much energy. In an efficiently running car, the resting “metabolism” of the car is lower. And if you want to get power from that car, if you want to accelerate, that’s better too. When a car is well tuned, it allows for a lower idle speed, and it will actually accelerate faster, and the engine itself certainly will have a much longer lifespan. It’s functioning better.
    Thermogenesis – Not So Good For Health – Ron Rosedale | Me and My Diabetes
    Last edited by artjii; 21-03-2013 at 01:44 PM.
    Jos
    MP Senior

Thanks, I'm aware of the link between thyroid and LC. TSH and T4 are both elevated, blood pressure is very low, extremities are stupidly cold and don't warm up unless external heat is added.

06/09/12 - TSH:6.93 FreeT4:16.3
    17/01/13 - TSH:8.93 FreeT4:14.6

Symptomatically she is very hypo, but the GPs won't do anything as the bloods don't show a problem, compounded by the issue thyroid diagnosis and treatment in the UK only being 1 step up from leeches in terms of modern medicine.

Thread Information