1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Olympics 2012 : Good or Bad?

kp1512
    So Ken Livingstone has been flashing his face around today unveiling the 80,000 seater in Stratford, after accidently ignoring calls on why the cost went from 250 odd Million to 480 Million to build this.

Overall, do you think having this Event is good or bad for the UK?

KP
    Rab J.C
    the thieving scum are using lotto money...which would have otherwise went to fund sports.

i think that it should be ministers bonuses and expenses that are used to fund something that has a detremental effect on the whole of the uk, but only a benefit for london
    MP Senior

Bad. Rarely do host countries do well financially out of events like this, and if this country needs more major sporting arenas in the long term they should be more central, not in the overcrowded gridlocked captial.
    Our leaders are idiots and waste our tax money as it is, this is just another misuse of funds that are badly needed elsewhere.

..basically.. i dont think the UK can afford it.

PB's :Bench 120kg x 2 (110kg x 5), Squat 200kg x 2 (170kg x 5), Deadlift 240kg x 1 (180kg x5)

AlexTemper
    You would not beleive where a lot of the lotto money goes. A lot to overseas projects which is rediculous.

I guess they're hoping the kudos holding such an event brings will increase interest in thw uk and money be recouped by the tourist trade and spectators etc...

If it helps to sort out transportation issues and redevelop areas in a positive way then thats not such a bad thing. The main issue is the cost and where the funding has come from and what over sector may suffer as a result. Or what new stealth tax may be brought in.

I wonder how the conjestion charge will work by this time...?
    Ollie
    Granted it's expensive, but if you look at the effect olympics have had on their host cities (especially if you've been to a few) you'd do well to argue that the benefits aren't worth it.

We're already starting to see benefits in terms of the tube...long may it continue!
    Dtlv74
    I really have mixed views on this! On the one hand, I think it could be positive, improving the profile of athletic sports in this country, giving a boost to national morale, creating some jobs/redevelopment and improving sporting facilites - for an area of the SE at least.

On the other hand, it is monstrously expensive, will take money away from other perhaps more important things, will be highly disruptive, and might instead of improving sporting activity in the UK just 'paper over the cracks' and make it look like we are doing something to further athletic training in this country when we are not.

I think what we need is massive improvements in funding, coaching and accessibility for such sports - which having the Olympics might lead to... or it might give the impression that something is being done when it isn't at all and lead to even less being done as a result!
    kp1512
    Interesting, I think its a waste of money and should never have been applied for.

The British Sports and Winning attitude isnt about having\hosting an event its about Attitude. We are a nation where we are taught from a young age

- "its not about winning its about taking part" BOLLOX to that! Its about winning!! Second place is the first loser!!

- Being allowed and given the chance to take sports more seriously and competitively at a young age is what needs to be encouraged.

But more importantly, yet again WE will be paying for this event, and will will, as usual, go over budget. After its all been said and done, what happens?..Its just another white elephant.

That money could have done soo much more in any part of the UK, be it regeneration, housing, et al...but instead we want to be seen, yet again, to be hosting some stupid half assed event where 80% of the sports are ****e and noone gives a dam, and overall it means very little in winning a flaming medal in these events!....aside from if its Boxing, 100Metres and few others........

What a waste of money!...Im def going to make sure I am on holiday during that event. Being so close to Stratford I so aint looking forward to it!

KP
    MP Senior

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    Granted it's expensive, but if you look at the effect olympics have had on their host cities (especially if you've been to a few) you'd do well to argue that the benefits aren't worth it.

We're already starting to see benefits in terms of the tube...long may it continue!
    Do you honestly think it will tho Ollie? Look at the Millenium Dome, if O2 hadnt picked it up it would still be rotting today.
    I think what sums up how things are done here is the Westminster and City line, it always amazes me how clean and efficient it is... then i change onto the picadilly line to get home and its like going down into the sewers. If something is out of the public eye it gets ignored and allowed to run down.. and sadly i can see the olympic facilities going the same way.

I hope they dont as it could be great for British sport, especially in the youngesters, but i have little faith in how things are done here anymore.

PB's :Bench 120kg x 2 (110kg x 5), Squat 200kg x 2 (170kg x 5), Deadlift 240kg x 1 (180kg x5)

Dtlv74
    Not in favour then KP?!? I don't mind the range of sports, even the obscure ones I don't watch are fine - each to their own, and better a kid gets into a stupid sport and spends his time doing that rather than shooting up heroin or robbing old grannies (two popular recreational activities of youngsters around here).

I would like to be optimistic about the Olympics for the reasons I gave in my first post, but I do feel that this country is in a mess in so many different social and economic ways that (mis)spending the money on (what I'm sure will be) a poorly organised event, is not the way to go.

I hope to be proven wrong, and there is a hopeful possiblity I may, but my inkling is that it will all go tits-up.
    kp1512
    Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Dtlv74 View Post
    Not in favour then KP?!? I don't mind the range of sports, even the obscure ones I don't watch are fine - each to their own, and better a kid gets into a stupid sport and spends his time doing that rather than shooting up heroin or robbing old grannies (two popular recreational activities of youngsters around here).

I would like to be optimistic about the Olympics for the reasons I gave in my first post, but I do feel that this country is in a mess in so many different social and economic ways that (mis)spending the money on (what I'm sure will be) a poorly organised event, is not the way to go.

I hope to be proven wrong, and there is a hopeful possiblity I may, but my inkling is that it will all go tits-up.
    I would agree in that it gives kids things to do...but stepping back one bit, they dont have things to do as parks have been sold off for development, theres no comunity gatherings, and overall the education system is looking like its not fit for purpose, and parenting has gone down hill....

I can help but look at Argentina and Brazil to name a few and see that they dont have any of these luxuries but there drive, competitivness and passion to Win is what makes them stand out.......WE dont have that I am afraid...we still dwell on a fluke 1966 World Cup lol

KP

Thread Information