1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Quickest, Easiest trade to learn????

Qualified Gym Instructor

Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you can help...

Graduated in Business Economics back in 2006 and have did a few general admin type jobs since. Don't want to get into the usual banking, accounting type jobs as I find them boring.

Been looking to get into Quantity Surveying / Project Management within Construction but the jobs wont start till September and it means 3 more years of part time Uni.

I'd be 28 when I'd qualify, but I'd rather get a qualification in anything, and I mean "anything" so that i can travel round the world within the next 2 years.

I loved travelling when I did fruit picking, labouring etc. but I'd like to do it properly with a full working visa and hopefully get sponsored.

Are there any trades or skills anyone could see me picking up very quickly? A mate suggested plastering, then at least I could get some decent onsite experience, decent wages.

What skills/trades are countries like Australia, New Zealand, Canada, America crying out for???
    Quote Quote
    When you eat the foods your body is made for (Paleo foods) in a framework that your body is made for (feast-fast, such as IF), it all works beautifully.
    MP573 for 5% discount off all products!!
    ** Senior

Graduate scheme in another country?

If you want to get into construction and wish to travel, Then i'd opt for civil engineering. As most countries (especially NZ and Aus, not sure about can and us) are crying out for them, especially with english qualifications.
    Qualified Gym Instructor

I've got no clue with engineering, got a double A* for Science GCSE, but A-Levels include Maths, Economics, Geography.

Degree - Business Economics

hence why I've been looking at the QS / Project Mgmt. route
    Quote Quote
    When you eat the foods your body is made for (Paleo foods) in a framework that your body is made for (feast-fast, such as IF), it all works beautifully.
    simon m
    Big G

If you are even a part qualified Surveyor you can walk into a job in most Commonwealth Countries, so worth investigating.
    xRichx
    Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    If you want to get into construction and wish to travel, Then i'd opt for civil engineering. As most countries (especially NZ and Aus, not sure about can and us) are crying out for them, especially with english qualifications.

Even with decent qualifications and a fair amount of experience, I still got turned down application to migrate to Aus.

Working holiday tho mate, you can get 2year visa's, so why not go down that route, pretty sure you don't need much qualifications either
    Qualified Gym Instructor

yeah this is true, but the only way for me to become partly qualified is to do a full time masters for a year. Which money wont allow.

If I had done a RICS accredited degree course things would be different. As it is, I have a degree that's open to most industries but subject to further training and quite long at that.
    Quote Quote
    Qualified Gym Instructor

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by xRichx View Post
    Working holiday tho mate, you can get 2year visa's, so why not go down that route, pretty sure you don't need much qualifications either
    Yeah, I've researched this. But I'd be in the same boat out there as i'm here. Nobody would be willing to give me a chance with no experience. So it would mean doing the usual admin, call centre, fruit picking, labouring work which I'm trying to avoid.

I would like to go out there with at least a skill or a trade and then hopefully get sponsored.
    Quote Quote
    MP L337

If you learn to plaster etc in Australia you will get paid a mint compared to here. Most construction jobs over there are paid very well compared to here, especially jobs that require a skill.
    Injury prone monkey

Yeah it seems that Oz is dying for labourer types. I know an electrician who moved out there 2 years ago and although not a huge pay rise the money goes a LOT further than over here. And he gets off at 2pm on a friday to have a boozy bbq

One of his mates over there had moved just before him to the same neighbourhood and both being english boys made friends quick. He's an auto widescreens replacer guy! (I found it odd there was high demand for this too)

Saying that ANOTHER bristol lad I know went on a year holiday with his missus to NZ and oz, he's an IT type bloke and only had crappy tech/admin jobs on low pay at building societies etc. They're planning on living their lives there now as he got himself a wicked job, far better than anything hes come close to in england.

Hope you get sorted mate, from the stories i've heard its immense over there. Tempted to look into it myself when i graduate

*I also heard about Teachers being in high demand in US and Canada but think you have to have good few years of experience.
    MP30488 - 5% OFF YOUR FIRST ORDER!

Thread Information