1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Web pages slow to open, why?

<MP20180>

Over the last few weeks I have noticed its taking a long time for my browser to open web pages. I am using google chrome have done for over a year or so, its always been very quick.

To try to fix this problem I have defragged the hard drive and cleaned the registry.

Doing these things hasn't made any difference. I have also removed any programs that I was not using.

I use a Dell laptop which is about 4 years old, is this something I can expect to happen as it gets older or is there something that I can do about it?
    Last edited by Luffers; 29-08-2010 at 02:43 PM.
    MP Veteran

Blog Entries
    Have you tried clearing your browser cache?
    MP Senior

Nu is right, first thing is basics, clear cache, history, temp internet files

Its worth trying an alternate browser e.g. firefox or safari as it could be that your browser just needs reinstalling as its done a dodgy update.

It might be adware/spyware - could be worth running something like malware bytes or spybot to test for this.

Have you installed any funky toolbars, antivirus or firewall recently?

It could be that your internet connection is pants, have you done any speedtests online?

If you do suspect foul play i used to use : www.fileresearchcenter.com

hope this helps
    Last edited by lev arris; 29-08-2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: forgot basics (schoolboy error)
    HBK
    The Heartbreak Kid.

Might be worth contacting your ISP to see if there are any problems with the connection, assuming the above doesn't work out for you.

Also, if you're using mobile broadband and you've gone over your fair use policy on an unlimited deal they could be slowing you down for it.
    <MP20180>

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by lev arris View Post
    Nu is right, first thing is basics, clear cache, history, temp internet files Done this

Its worth trying an alternate browser e.g. firefox or safari as it could be that your browser just needs reinstalling as its done a dodgy update. Tried Firefox, even slower

It might be adware/spyware - could be worth running something like malware bytes or spybot to test for this. Downloaded spybot and fixed all problems still pages are slow to open

Have you installed any funky toolbars, antivirus or firewall recently? Nope

It could be that your internet connection is pants, have you done any speedtests online? Its always been quick so....

If you do suspect foul play i used to use : File Research Center - Find out what's really running on your PC!

hope this helps
    I guess computers eventually get slow with age though or not?
    Use MP120578

Not likely to be a problem with the PC. Loading up net pages shouldn't be too demanding.

Are you ADSL or cable? With ADSL there is always the danger of your connection being messed up by too many people in the neighborhood using teh internetz. A good way to know if this is the problem is to see if your speed improves dramatically very late at night, and if its worse early evening (peak internetz time).

If you got wireless, might be worth checking your router security, and that no one is using your connection.
    Want to save 5% on your order? Want to repay me for the awesome advice I gave you? Or do you just like the cut of my jib?
    ---> Then use MP120578 on your 1st order & get a 5% discount.
    MP Senior

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Luffers View Post
    I guess computers eventually get slow with age though or not?
    Agree with Tauren, your PC shouldn't really get slower not for something like browsing that requires next to no processing power.

Your filter (if its ADSL) might be faulty causing line noise thus causing your router to connect at a slower speed. Your cable could be faulty, your router/modem may be knackered. Your firewall settings could be too high. I suggest next port of call is a speed test online. If it shows a fast speed then its probably something on your PC causing the issue. If its showing as slow then maybe it is a physical issue that you need to speak with your ISP about.
    MP Veteran

The dont actually physically get any slower, if you format the hard drive and reinstall windows it will be jsut a fast as wehn you bought it.
    Semi Geek

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Nicholars View Post
    The dont actually physically get any slower, if you format the hard drive and reinstall windows it will be jsut a fast as wehn you bought it.
    I'd go with this.

The Windows operating system just corrupts over time. Re-formating and reinstalling should do the trick. If its a Dell it should come with a recovery disk, or the files may be on a hidden partition. So you shouldn't have to worry about drivers and the ilk.
    <MP20180>

I just did a speed test, here are the results

Download - 1.20 mb/s
    Upload - 0.50 mb/s
    Ping 67ms

Is this good or bad?

Thread Information