1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 8x2 training

1. Default 8x2 training

MP Senior

Had an interesting chat with a power lifter the other day at a mates fight (boxing). My sports are generally boxing and kickboxing but he swore how incorporating an 8x2 routine into workouts is very beneficial to developing strength and power for boxing, namely talking about strength development you would gain from glutes, hips and back (obv important). Anyone know a lot about this type of training? 8 sets, 2 reps, 60ish% of 1RM.

I do weights training using compound exercises 3x/week: 1 push, 1 pull, 1 plyometrics and general core. I have just started adding this 8x2 routine into my push and pull workouts (currently started alternating it weekly with squats/deads and doing flat bench 1 week on 1 week off, rest of exercises varying between 5rep/8rep/10rep exercises in 3-4sets) as im interested to see how it will develop my strength and its another way to keep the body guessing...

Anyways I know jack about this type of training so any feedback from those who use it and how beneficial and if there are better ways to use it would be appreciated.
    MP Veteran

8x2 with 60% weight sounds like speed work, I might be wrong.
    Use this code MP143 to get 5% off your first order.
    My training diary http://community.myprotein.com/train...ing-diary.html
    MP Senior

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by stronglikewood View Post
    8x2 with 60% weight sounds like speed work, I might be wrong.
    True, and that works for me (as explosive power is important). Except this guy was using it as basis for his training towards a 250kg lift (if I remember right)
    Live your potential.

Ive come across this before in westside barbell training. I think its to do with "sticking points" in your lifts.

An example of this is the box squat. Box squats are used to help develop power through the bottom of the squat and dead. This is one of the most common sticking points and the use of variable height boxes enables the athlete to gradually increase their power through the lift. Box squats are done in sets of two repetitions anywhere between 8-12 sets.

The resting time between sets is low at 45 seconds to keep the speed up.

This type of lifting will be developing power due to the low rep range and the high sets.

To gain mass you are looking for 6-8 reps 4 sets as a rough guide. For definition its 12-15 reps for 3-4 sets and then theres the power which is 1-3 reps for 5+ sets.

Give it a try its very effective for explosion. You need to give it your all in those 2 reps though. Its easy to get lazy in the first sets and then find it easy. By the end you should really be hurting.

I dont think this sort of training will aid much in getting to a 250kg lift. Its primarily used by athletes for explosive power.

Joe Defranco incorporates it in some of his workouts.
    "Before I came here, I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture, I am still confused - but on a higher level" - Enrico Fermi

Use MP211330 for 5% off your first order!
    Sloth

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by MJ.23 View Post
    Ive come across this before in westside barbell training. I think its to do with "sticking points" in your lifts.

Kind of...

The resting time between sets is low at 45 seconds to keep the speed up.

actually to increase GPP

I dont think this sort of training will aid much in getting to a 250kg lift. Its primarily used by athletes for explosive power.

absolute tosh
    dynamic work is done to increase the power, of your lifting. Power = Force x Velocity

to put it into lamans terms, would you open a stuck door slowly or explode through it? which is why i say kind of with the above quote, you want to power through sticking points, not slowly squeeze through them.

regardless of what weights you're using speed / dynamic work is important, ignore it at your own peril.

there's shed loads of articles about dynamic work on the westside website and elitefts.
    215/145/255
    SlothTube
    'Log
    MP Veteran

Quote Quote
    For definition its 12-15 reps for 3-4 sets and then theres the power which is 1-3 reps for 5+ sets.
    just thought I'd point out that this is completely untrue lol.

I'm surprised you said this considering you follow Joe DeFranco's stuff.

Ten Training Myths Exposed!
    PBs: Squat - 172.5kg, Paused bench - 110kg, Deadlift - 220kg, Comp total - 495kg, Snatch - 82kg, C&J - 100kg
    My training log My youtube channel

Quote Quote
    Joe Defranco incorporates it in some of his workouts.
    he incorporates it in his westside 4 sb routines, which is his versionof westside but for sportsmen wanting more strength and non pl'ers
    PB's as of 01/09/2013: Deads 230kg, Squat 200kg , Bench 115kg,
    End of 2013 Targets: Deads 250kg, Squats 220kg, Bench 130kg.
    Do you want a 5% discount on your order? If so use MP42387.
    My New Current Training Log My Old Training Log My Velocity Diet

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

Was_once_fat_dave is a General Forum Moderator.

Blog Entries
    If you want to get strong you gotta lift heavy weights....

USE REFERRAL CODE MP16378 FOR 5% OFF YOUR FIRST ORDER!

You can view my videos here. You can view my journal here.

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

Martin Brown is a Training and Diet Moderator.
    Live your potential.

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by anabolic View Post
    just thought I'd point out that this is completely untrue lol.

I'm surprised you said this considering you follow Joe DeFranco's stuff.

Ten Training Myths Exposed!

Tbh i dont even know why i said that lol. I always tell my friends about the whole toning nonsense.

Brainfart i think lol
    "Before I came here, I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture, I am still confused - but on a higher level" - Enrico Fermi

Use MP211330 for 5% off your first order!
    MP Senior

MXS first then conversion to power (e.g. power endurance etc, depending on what sport you do)
    Failing to plan is planning to fail

Thread Information