1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By hailtotheking

Thread: Strength and Conditioning gyms in London

1. Default Strength and Conditioning gyms in London

MP Junior

I'm starting a job in London sometime between August-October of this year and I'm looking for a good workout facility.

I've come to the conclusion that the traditional Fitness First/Virgin Active/Bannatynes type of gym is not suited to my needs. What I want is a strength and conditioning gym with Olympic platforms as well as power racks, benches and good barbells and bumper plates. In addition to that, I'd also like the place to be a sports center that has a place to throw shot put as well as some sort of plyometrics equipment.

I've heard that Lee Valley might be the kind of place I'm looking for and some university facilities are also suited to these needs. Does anyone know of sports centers/gyms that meet these requirements? I will be working in finance so Canary Wharf or around there is where I'll be working so the place shouldn't be too far from there or from a place that is a reasonable communte from the financial district.

Anyone know anything good?
    MP Junior

Hi superbadger,

I can suggest only several good clubs IMHO which I've visited ever:

FitSpace Gyms
    Fitness First
    LA fitness
    and
    Sohogyms

All these gyms are good and rather cheap.

Cheers,
    Lewis

brunel uni has a pretty good set up
    Sponsored by Subsports compression gear
    http://www.subsports.co.uk/

You want it? You've gotta work for it!

It only matters if your mind lets it

Save money with me, use MP18695 code and get 5% off your order!

Click here to view my top rated home made protein flapjack recipe. My homemade Sandbags. My training: dope540s road to world domination!

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

dope540 is a Training and Diet Moderator.

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by LewisIngram View Post
    Hi superbadger,

I can suggest only several good clubs IMHO which I've visited ever:

FitSpace Gyms
    Fitness First
    LA fitness
    and
    Sohogyms

All these gyms are good and rather cheap.

Cheers,
    Lewis
    None of those are proper S&C gyms, and they wont have the stuff the OP said, like weightlifting platforms.

The only proper strength gym i have ever been to with weightlifting platforms, proper weightlifting bars, chalk pits, indoor track for spritning and sled work, throwing area, etc. is at Crystal Palace heavy weights room. You would need to see Keith Morgan there if you wanted to train there.
    dope540 and Elvis like this.
    MP Code MP2931 for 5% off first order - and make daddy some money ...

I dont need to sell my soul, he's already in me
    Stone Roses - "I Wanna Be Adored"

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

hailtotheking is a Global Moderator.

httk's suggestion is better than brunel uni. no sled work there but they do have a 100 sprint track, sand pit for making sandcastles when you're bored and a high jump area. good oly room set up there as well.
    Sponsored by Subsports compression gear
    http://www.subsports.co.uk/

You want it? You've gotta work for it!

It only matters if your mind lets it

Save money with me, use MP18695 code and get 5% off your order!

Click here to view my top rated home made protein flapjack recipe. My homemade Sandbags. My training: dope540s road to world domination!

dope540 is a Training and Diet Moderator.
    MP Senior

Blog Entries
    Ive used the gym at Lee Valley - 6-8 lifting platforms, 3-4 power racks. Seiko/eleiko bars and weights, so good quality. There is also at least one indoor shot circle, as well as at least one outdoor one, as well as plyo mats that you can use. There are boxes in the gym you can use for box jumps, or hurdles by the track for hurdle jumps. There aren't that many machine weights at all, maybe a leg press, hamstring curl and calf raise machine.

Obviously there is then a 60m indoors straight (where Brunel has 120m) and an outdoor track.

Its decent enough, just not sure what the opening hours to the public are.
    MP Member

Muscleworks in bethnal green if you're in east london is a pretty serious lifting gym i understand.
    The reebok gym in canary wharf is pretty good but not sure it has everything you're looking for.
    Last edited by reggae_ryan; 22-02-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    MP Junior

One of the most kitted out facilities for powerlifting/strongman/ and somewhat olympic lifting is Genesis gym in Wembley. Home of Dave 'Bulldog' Beattie. Worth a look!

Thread Information