1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Default Upper back pain while front squatting

MP Junior

Hey guys,

been following a 3 day split routine for a few months now, all is going well other than recently I have been getting what feels like compression in my upper back after doing a set of front squats. I do 3 sets of 8 on 50kg and attempted 55 but the pain post set in my upper back got a bit too much so I dropped it down to 50 again to see if it was ok.

It feels almost like a cramping tightness across my back when I exhale after finishing the set.
    Is this to do with my form? I wasn't getting the issue before recently and had been doing the same form and approximately the same weight before now.

Iv'e doubled checked my form and asked a friend to take a look at it too but It doesn't feel like I'm doing anything overtly wrong.

Any thoughts would be appreciated thanks.

Maybe a weak upper back. I don't think there is any compression as the bar is placed in front of you. Try heavy front squat holds. Load the bar with 10kg more than your max, unrack and hold for time
    Sponsored by Subsports compression gear
    http://www.subsports.co.uk/

You want it? You've gotta work for it!

It only matters if your mind lets it

Save money with me, use MP18695 code and get 5% off your order!

Click here to view my top rated home made protein flapjack recipe. My homemade Sandbags. My training: dope540s road to world domination!

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

dope540 is a Training and Diet Moderator.
    MP Senior

whilst on the subject of front squats Ive added them in and doing them twice a week but i find when i go over 100kg i get really sore bruising on my shoulders where the bar rests, which makes it ward to repeat a few days later, is this something that just stops happening over time? or do I just need to man up?

Sorry for thread hijack just didnt see the need to start a new thread for front squats with this one here
    No matter how hard, heavy, and intensely you train, muscle will not grow without proper nutritional reinforcement.
    MP Senior

What grip are you using?

As much as I dislike him, check the grip in this video and see if it makes a difference. I read an article about scapula position/muscle restrictions when front squatting with a cross over style grip.
    "Oh no! I woke up really big and muscly!!"
    - Said no one, ever, in the history of the world.

the bar sits on my collar bone. really drive the elbows up. i use clean grip though.
    Sponsored by Subsports compression gear
    http://www.subsports.co.uk/

You want it? You've gotta work for it!

It only matters if your mind lets it

Save money with me, use MP18695 code and get 5% off your order!

Click here to view my top rated home made protein flapjack recipe. My homemade Sandbags. My training: dope540s road to world domination!

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

dope540 is a Training and Diet Moderator.
    MP Senior

The bar should be behind your clavicle or rested where your anterior delt meets your traps (over the centre of mass) and elbows high as flexibility allows to ensure a good rack position. Over time your flexibility will go up which is extremely helpful if you are doing cleans, push press, press, jerks. Try using a few fingers then slowly add more. If you have trouble breathing (which you should to being with), look up and it will help you.

If you do front squats regularly enough you will get bruises/calluses on this part of the skin, I use E45 cream to keep it soft. You just get used to it.

Front squats are heavily back dependant but are also extremely useful for people who have trouble staying upright in the squat, people whose hips shoot out first and people who can't get deep enough. Make sure when you hit the bottom of the front squat that your elbows are kept high, over time your form will improve and your back will be strong enough so you won't collapse and hips won't shoot out first, rather your legs will be the factor.

Two greats:
    Klokov (Silver Olympic + Silver WWC) 250kg, notice he has a lot of muscle which is the reason his elbows aren't exaggerated high.

Lu Xiaojun (77kg Gold WWC) 230kg x 2 - Torso very upright and elbows high.

Hope this helps.
    MP Junior

I use the grip which is not crossover, where you have high elbows. I try to push them up nice and high and my form feels good on the way down and up, it's just at the top of the lift I get the pain. It mat very well be I don't have the bar far enough over my centre of mass, I'll also give a heavy load hold a go and see if the pain is still there, I have a legs day tomorrow so I'll post tomorrow night to let you guys know how it goes.

I also spoke to a sport teacher at my school, he suggested hanging from a pull up bar and making sure my back is stretched out and admittedly I do little to no actual back warm up/ stretching, I do a few warm up sets and a 5 minute jog before I begin but that's about it.

Thanks for the help
    MP Junior

Had a legs day today guys so will fill you in on how it went,

Back squats are no problem at all so proceeded with them in the usual way, got to front squats and ensured to ram the bar against my throat as much as I could while trying to keep my elbows nice and high, first set felt ok, a little pain but it was noticeably better, wasn't holding my breath after a set to gently breath out and let the pain come slowly, but the second set was pretty painful so I had to leave the lift 2/3 sets completed.
    I also held the bar at 50, which is what I have been doing my squats on due to the pain, when I was about to being my third set, and could feel the same pain when breathing out.

I also tried to hang slightly from the bar in between sets to give my upper back a stretching out.
    I don't have any residual pain now, it just seems to be during the exercise.

Maybe I should be looking to talk to a physio about this?
    MP Member

You should upload a video to here to check your form

Thread Information