1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Bent over Barbell rows - underhand or overhand?

MP Junior

As the title says really. What are the pros and cons of each and which would you do?? Doing 3 sets of 6 reps. I am changing my current workout for the next 4 weeks just to mix it up. I am going for a push session, pull session and a leg session along with my usual cardio.
    MP Veteran

underhand - lats ---- yates row
    overhand - traps/rhomboids ---- pendlay row
    MP Junior

Would you incorporate both versions into the workout? 3 sets of each or maybe alternate between workouts
    MP Veteran

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by PuLe View Post
    underhand - lats ---- yates row
    overhand - traps/rhomboids ---- pendlay row
    I'd disagree tbh, I think yates' rows hit the traps pretty damn hard!

OP, I've always thought underhand were better in general, but this is a personal thing. I think most people would say overhand is the better all-rounder. My preference would be yates' one workout, and maybe chinups/pullups the other.
    PBs: Squat - 172.5kg, Paused bench - 112.5kg, Deadlift - 220kg, Comp total - 495kg, Snatch - 83kg, C&J - 108kg, Comp total - 183kg
    My training log My youtube channel
    MP Veteran

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Meano View Post
    Would you incorporate both versions into the workout? 3 sets of each or maybe alternate between workouts
    yeh i normally do a few sets of each, depending on which i want to focus on more depends how many i will do

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by anabolic View Post
    I'd disagree tbh, I think yates' rows hit the traps pretty damn hard!

OP, I've always thought underhand were better in general, but this is a personal thing. I think most people would say overhand is the better all-rounder. My preference would be yates' one workout, and maybe chinups/pullups the other.
    Dorian Yates demonstrating bent over Barbell Row - YouTube - maybe your doing it wrong? - in the vid he is doing it overhand, however i feel it hard to contract the lats overhand
    MP Veteran

Can't watch the vid as I'm at work. But you say overhand? I'm talking about the Yates' rows where the torso is almost vertical, with an underhand grip. Hammers the traps hard IME.
    PBs: Squat - 172.5kg, Paused bench - 112.5kg, Deadlift - 220kg, Comp total - 495kg, Snatch - 83kg, C&J - 108kg, Comp total - 183kg
    My training log My youtube channel
    Rodeo Star

In short, overhand is good for overall develoment, where as; the underhand, is lat dominant.

personally i do overhand with the bar, and do underhand with a dumbell.
    The Workers' Hunger Helps Them, Because Their Desire To Eat Makes Them Work.
    Patience Is Better Than Strength. Controlling Your Temper Is Better Than Capturing A City.
    Fools Quickly Show That They Are Upset, But The Wise Ignore Insults.
    MP Veteran

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by anabolic View Post
    Can't watch the vid as I'm at work. But you say overhand? I'm talking about the Yates' rows where the torso is almost vertical, with an underhand grip. Hammers the traps hard IME.
    when you get home watch it, its dorian yates explaining the technique for the exercise, stating that underhand hits more of the lower lats. from your explanation of where your feeling it 'hammer' your traps, your doing a shrug...
    Last edited by PuLe; 21-11-2012 at 01:00 PM.
    Rodeo Star

Yeah, you should be rowing into the waist; bring the bar no further than the belly button area.
    The Workers' Hunger Helps Them, Because Their Desire To Eat Makes Them Work.
    Patience Is Better Than Strength. Controlling Your Temper Is Better Than Capturing A City.
    Fools Quickly Show That They Are Upset, But The Wise Ignore Insults.
    MP Junior

I yesterday after I did a set of each it did feel like I hit the lats more with underhand grip. I think I will use 2 sets of each and see where it leads. I also have wide grip pull ups incorporated into the same workout but will do the pull ups before the rows.

Thread Information