1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: SL 5x5 or Wendler's 5/3/1? Or my own program?

1. Default SL 5x5 or Wendler's 5/3/1? Or my own program?

MP Senior

I need advice on which one to choose, I've read both and they both seem good. I'm trying to put on mainly strength and I wouldnt say no to a bit of muscle too. I'm also trying to lose fat

5ft 11, 89kg @ 25% BF

Lifts are currently at (for 4 reps):

Squat (below parallel but not ATG) - 100kg
    Bench - 80kg (or 37.5 dumbells)
    BB Row - 65kg (need this to catch up with bench)
    Deadlift (with a deadlift bar) - 120kg
    OHP (barbell) - 55kg

My deadlift with a barbell is a lot lower than with the deadlift bar, so any advice on using a bar instead will be appreciated!

I've been training for about 14 months now, and only squatting for about 6 months (classic 17 year old brah before that). I'm 18 now, play rugby once a week and train twice (although 1 is very light).

I'm wondering which program would be best for me, or is this one I made quite good for my aims?
    Attached Images
    MP Veteran

Progression will be much slower on 5/3/1. Do 5x5 or one of the intermediate 5x5 programs (Texas Method or Madcow) if recovery is an issue on SL 5x5.

Also, pick a goal and stick to it. You're not going to do much if you're trying to build muscle and strength while cutting fat at the same time. Lowering your BF percentage should probably be a priority right now as it's quite high (very hypocritical of me to say as my BF is too high at the moment but I wish I'd sorted it sooner rather than later).
    Last edited by blindprop; 01-01-2013 at 11:21 PM.
    Training log
    PBs: BW 98kg Squat:1x185kg , Bench:1x120kg, Deadlift:3x200kg, OHP:1x90kg
    MP Senior

I at least think that its about 25%, although i used a thing on scales a while ago (maybe 3 months), and recently it said i was 40% (i'm definitely not). I need to get some calipers and do it properly.

I'm planning to lose the fat by keeping an eye on calories, and doing a bit more running (i'm starting to do a 15-20 minute HIIT-style run at the end of each session), as well as keeping my weights the same.

The program I posted is more or less what I'm doing at the moment. Do you recommend I continue this whilst cutting (and maintain the same weight rather than increasing it), or move on to the 5x5 straight away?

The 5x5 program sounds better for now I think, as it's more geared towards beginners (which I'd say I still am), whereas the 5/3/1 looks more advanced (slower progression).

Cheers
    MP Senior

I'm thinking about starting 5x5 because its so simple and effective but have 2 questions:
    1) can you add in pull-ups and dips?
    2) could I avoid squatting on the Friday as I want to avoid doms in legs for footie on sat?
    If the bar aint bending, you're just pretending!
    Paleo-ish

id always add weighted chins and dips imo. two god like exercises.
    MP Senior

also, it says about adding 2.5kg each workout

I'm quite skeptical about this. and starting at 50% of 5 rep max? So I'd start at about 50kg for squats?
    Banned

Guys, there is no need to be so anal when it comes to these programs. If you fancy throwing in a little something here and there, go ahead and do it. If you like the alteration then great, if you don't, simply remove it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Ninja likes this.
    MP Senior

I think i'll do the 12 week trial 'as is', with only 3 sessions a week (rather than my 4). I'll see what happens and go from there.
    Molem7b5 likes this.
    MP 733586

I'd recommend just going with linear progression (like SL and Starting Strength) for as long as you can. If you want to throw some other things in there then maybe chuck a couple of assistance exercises in but have these at maybe 3x12 and only have about two. You don't want them to interfere with your recovery and hinder your main lifts.

Also an idea would be to also post a diet up so people can see what kind of food etc you are eating since this will also affect the results.
    Training Info
    "I'm not there yet but I'm a day closer than I was yesterday"
    MP Veteran

you say sceptical about the 2.5kg / session increase, if your squatting 3 times a week thats 30kg a month increase in weight. even if just once a week over a year that would still be from 0 - 130kg (assuming no stalling) the progression on 5x5 is very quick, 5-3-1 is an amazing program but as prop said its very slow progress (2.5-5kg / month) look at these when your doing the ball park of 1.25*bw +bench, 2*bw+ squat, 2-2.5*BW + deadlift

Odevan also made an extremely valid point although all of these programs out there say follow it to the letter, if you find your deadlift is weak add in a support exercise, to help the weekness for about 2 years i done a modified brah split based around 5x5 for the main compound exercises, in time you will find what works with you, so just add things here and there and see what works for you.
    Last edited by PuLe; 02-01-2013 at 01:19 AM.
    Lacto-Vegetarian, 2014 Targets: Deadlift 270kg, Squat 200kg, Bench Press 130kg, Press 100kg 600kg competition total
    My Journal - http://community.myprotein.com/train...al-reborn.html
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information