1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Question Low Budget Strength Gain Options?

MP Junior

I am on a very low budget as a student but I will pay for what I 'need'.

I keep comparing protein powder prices and the different proteins;

True Whey seems cheaper than Impact Milk Isolate and Impact Milk Protein working it out 3 servings a day and true whey lasts longer, and also includes the scoop of course.

But then there is Impact Whey, Total Protein, Hurricane Evo and Weight Gainer.

I am pretty lost.

My body type is thin, under average weight, I have a very fast metabolism, I already have some Creatine and Impact Whey for now, but Whey won't last very long so really I am looking for the best cheap option for me to gain weight in muscle form of course.

I do weight lifting with my own weights and workout bench, 3 different workout routines, 1 every other day usually.

It is hard for me to gain weight, easy to lose weight, from next week I will be riding to college each day which is just over 3 miles and back of course on top, so I am fearing weight loss and strength loss.

Also do I really need to take as much protein as 2-3 a day, like recommended, or could I just add more a day once I come to a strength gain stop or slow down or I find I am low on energy or losing weight?

Other companies, I won't mention names, say to take more each week until each week you gain 2 pounds, personally I think 2 pounds a week might be a bit much even for a weight gainer, it can't all be muscle.

Anyway I hope you can give some suggestions, I only want protein for strength, anything else is extra, if carbs help then I'm sure you all know more than me...

Thanks,
    Aaron
    MP Veteran

Blog Entries
    Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

True Whey seems cheaper than Impact Milk Isolate and Impact Milk Protein working it out 3 servings a day and true whey lasts longer, and also includes the scoop of course.

I am pretty lost.

My body type is thin, under average weight, I have a very fast metabolism, I already have some Creatine and Impact Whey for now, but Whey won't last very long so really I am looking for the best cheap option for me to gain weight in muscle form of course.

I do weight lifting with my own weights and workout bench, 3 different workout routines, 1 every other day usually.

It is hard for me to gain weight, easy to lose weight, from next week I will be riding to college each day which is just over 3 miles and back of course on top, so I am fearing weight loss and strength loss.

Also do I really need to take as much protein as 2-3 a day, like recommended, or could I just add more a day once I come to a strength gain stop or slow down or I find I am low on energy or losing weight?

Other companies, I won't mention names, say to take more each week until each week you gain 2 pounds, personally I think 2 pounds a week might be a bit much even for a weight gainer, it can't all be muscle.

Anyway I hope you can give some suggestions, I only want protein for strength, anything else is extra, if carbs help then I'm sure you all know more than me...

Thanks,
    Aaron
    mate im in the same boat as you, im a student, money is always tight but I always make a separate budget for my supplements, as my hard training needs complimenting with them. I myself go for truewhey for varouis reasons, people bang on about how impact is cheaper but when you get bulk discount in the true whey its actually not that much your saving and truewhey gives a better protein blend and flavours. I also go for creatine and some l-glutamine. These are the best supps you can get and will only need on a shoestring budget.
    5% OFF: MP43589
    GET TO THA CHOPPA!

Same as me,
    Bulkbuy for a year when the student loan comes through for the big discounts = sorted (=
    Although i do just go for impact im that cheap =D
    lol
    Last edited by Mutated_Hair; 12-09-2009 at 09:44 PM.
    MP Veteran

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Mutated_Hair View Post
    Same as me,
    Bulkbuy for a year when the stuendt loan comes through for the big discounts = sorted (=
    lol
    Yup impact for the cheapness

So more money to spend on food
    Use this code MP143 to get 5% off your first order.
    My training diary http://community.myprotein.com/train...ing-diary.html
    MP Veteran

Blog Entries
    Quote Quote
    Same as me,
    Bulkbuy for a year when the stuendt loan comes through for the big discounts = sorted (=
    lol

Your right though, bulk buying is the best way to go, I bought 16 tubs of truewhey and ended up paying only 21 quid per tub instead of near 28 quid.

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I am pretty lost.

Thanks,
    Aaron
    welcome dude.

as mentioned by other posters, impact whey is good for students. does the job well and cheap. 10lb for 32quid! bargain dude!

what is your diet like? post that up. most things can be resolved through diet, even on a student budget. plan right, hit the shops at the right time and you could save LOADS.

if you want to get stronger, you gotta lift heavier.
    Sponsored by Subsports compression gear
    http://www.subsports.co.uk/

You want it? You've gotta work for it!

It only matters if your mind lets it

Save money with me, use MP18695 code and get 5% off your order!

Click here to view my top rated home made protein flapjack recipe. My homemade Sandbags. My training: dope540s road to world domination!

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

dope540 is a Training and Diet Moderator.

Quote Quote
    Same as me,
    Bulkbuy for a year when the student loan comes through for the big discounts = sorted (=
    lol
    PB's as of 01/09/2013: Deads 230kg, Squat 200kg , Bench 115kg,
    End of 2013 Targets: Deads 250kg, Squats 220kg, Bench 130kg.
    Do you want a 5% discount on your order? If so use MP42387.
    My New Current Training Log My Old Training Log My Velocity Diet

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

Was_once_fat_dave is a General Forum Moderator.
    MP Junior

Thanks for all responses, very fast replies

My diet.. not amazing, that is why I opt for protein supplements, at the moment before my loan comes through I have near no money and so I rely on what I can get, which is unfortunately not much, and it might hurt many of you to hear, but most days I go on 2 meals a day, it is all I can get, these meals are usually small-medium also, not good I know. And sometimes, like right now, I am going to sleep, a little bit hungry, luckily my metabolism slows down with my food intake so that I don't lose weight so fast, but I fear working out like this of course.

I have no allergies or intolerances .
    I am not a vegetarian or vegan.

As far as I can see is everyone going for Impact Whey or True Whey? Only those 2?

I am open to any cheap good food suggestions for once I have some money.

Anything to help me out with some weight gain is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Aaron
    MP Veteran

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by khris View Post
    Your right though, bulk buying is the best way to go, I bought 16 tubs of truewhey and ended up paying only 21 quid per tub instead of near 28 quid.
    LOL your a student and you bought 550 of whey and supps, how do you afford to eat and live on student loan as well?!
    MP Veteran

Blog Entries
    Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Nicholars View Post
    LOL your a student and you bought 550 of whey and supps, how do you afford to eat and live on student loan as well?!
    My mom gives me an advance on my forthcoming loan so I can stock up on pastas, tomotoes, chicken and stuff. Plus the facts that I dont drink/party or smoke means I save 30-50% of my student loans lol
    Last edited by khris; 13-09-2009 at 11:35 AM.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information