1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Default glutamine peptides / gluten

Ohhh fudge...

Evening mes amis!

Some supplements and formulas include glutamine peptides which are typically derived from wheat and thus aren't suitable for coeliacs due to the gluten it contains - can this seemingly insignificant amount pose a problem? I myself am not coeliac but I do avoid wheat, grains, gluten etc etc and it worries me that I may be sabotaging myself and health by using protein powders which use glutamine peptides?

Cheers ^-^
    MP Senior

I know this is an old post but did you try out mp's L-glutamine, if so what happened???
    ONLY WITH THIS CODE 5% DISCOUNT ***MP150876***
    Ohhh fudge...

Quite the bump lol! I'm not a big believer in glutamine as a supplement, I asked the above in relation to it's role as an addition to protein powders and the like, total protein for instance. I've since read that it only takes tiny tiny minute amounts of gluten to keep the deleterious GI effects going so stopped my supplementation that included peptide bound anything! I try to keep my supplementation of amino acids to a minimum as I've no idea what any of them are derived from but have heard that Glutamine specifically, either peptide bound or free form is derived from wheat, not good for moi if true
    MP Senior

thanks, thought id ask as im experimenting with a gluten free diet for a month, theres celiac sufferers that say some types of L-glutamine havent been contaminated by wheat apparently and works well, i cant understand why or how that is but from what i read on a celiac forum there is a brand that doesnt contain gluten.

I read some where that you suffer from crohns disease but i dont understand how supplementing with amino acids can upset the GI tract i thought they were supposed to be even easier to digest or is there another reason if you dont mind me asking?
    Ohhh fudge...

Yup, I suffer with Crohn's specifically and my being gluten free is a personal choice (I was tested for coeliac which came back negative) but I do feel immensely better for it. Supplementing with aminos doesn't upset my gi tract per se, more a case of I have no idea what/where the aminos are derived from, could they be derived from wheat and/or may be contaminated/contain gluten, I don't know, so am simply being <overly> cautious to make sure I only ingest things I can account for as being totally gluten/wheat free. All to do with traceability of ingredients I have e-mail MP on this but nothing as yet!
    Last edited by Supadude; 02-10-2010 at 08:02 PM.
    MP Senior

Thought id conclude this thread by letting anyone interested and may have stumbled on here that Glutamine Peptides does contain gluten. L-Glutamine however contains corn so doesnt have gluten in it at all. But does have the same protein structure so could still upset some types of people.
    MP Senior

The problem with this is one of cross contamination, L Glutamine should be fine if the processes are in place that stop cross contamination by washing down the lines as well as other procedures. I have also asked MP to put the processes and testing of products to confirm there gluten free status. I found a supplement company that have stringent policies and a full listing of supplements that are tested to the new eu legislation of gluten free of less than 20 parts per million which is great. It's a shame as I like MPs products but I now have to stop using them as they can't confirm new gluten free legislation compliance and testing.

Thread Information